Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times

Advertisements

There is currently a bill in the North Carolina state House of Representatives titled “AN ACT TO DESIGNATE THE RED DRUM AND SPOTTED SEA TROUT AS COASTAL AS GAME FISH “. (HB 918)
Gamefish status would prohibit all commercial take of speckled sea trout and red drum in North Carolina. This means that two forms of highly sought after seafood would no longer be available to the citizens of this state and only available to the elite few recreational fishermen who are able to come to the coast and catch them.

According to Dr. Louis Daniel, Director of the NC Division of Marine Fisheries, the bulk of mortality for spotted sea trout is caused by the recreational sector. The Red Drum Fishery Management Plan for recovery has been declared a success. It makes no logical sense to ban the commercial take of these fish and allow the very group that is the primary cause of the problem to have them all to themselves.

The group behind this Bill is called the, "Coastal Fisheries Reform Group"

HB918 Gamefish status runs contrary to the states wishes. House Bill 1163 and Senate Bill 1067, “The Sustainable Local Food Policy” is geared to find and support North Carolina producers of food with a goal of 10% of all food consumed within the state being produced right here in North Carolina. Gamefish status wants to eliminate two sources of food.

The recreational take of these fish ends with that one recreational fishermen. The commercial take avails these fish to all citizens of North Carolina.

Often times groups like the Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) and the newly formed Coastal Fisheries Reform Group (CFRG) attempt to show recreational fishermen as more of an economic asset than commercial fishermen to the state. They attempt this by comparing expense/tourism related dollars of the recreational fishermen to the dockside value of the commercial catch. Unfortunately these lobbying groups fail to mention the expense of the commercial fishermen or the tourism dollars they bring from people coming to the coast of North Carolina for fresh, local seafood. They also fail to mention who NC commercially caught fish employ in terms of local seafood markets, restaurants, fish houses, trucking companies, etc.

According to NOAA, on average every US citizen consumes over 16 pounds of seafood a year. The US ranks third in the world with the amount of seafood it eats. Currently 84 % of the seafood is imported with that percentage growing. H918 would help to increase our dependency on foreign product.

Finally the supporters of the CCA and CFRG have long desired to ban all nets in North Carolina waters. Their failure to do so has been the motivating factor in advocating Gamefish Status. They couldn’t ban the net so they are attempting to ban the fish the net catches.

Please contact your state legislator and Just say NO to Gamefish status of speckled trout and red drum. Keep fresh North Carolina seafood available for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
the politics of this state are very unimpressive. it just makes no sense to me. I am still shocked of the national law that requires you to obtain a license to fish. I guess that's so I don't crash my pole into anyone.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I certainly hope that by some miracle sane heads prevail, and this law is passed.

Too many people (politicians) have supported the commercial fisherman's right to "earn a living" too long. There is hardly a living to be earned anymore, and the commercial guys attitude of fish till the last one is caught is mind-numbing. I grew up in a textile family. Nobody supported my "right to earn a living." That plant and mill village is long gone. It is time we listen to "the people" and pay attention to economics, rather than the tired old.."it is my right to overharvest" tripe.

Look at ALL the states that have made trout and reds sportfish. Lots of money to be made supporting the folks that will travel miles to a vibrant fishery. They spend mone, too!

Resist inertia, embrace change. Support gamefish status for reds ant trout.

lln

Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 AM

You realize that recreational fisherman are responsible for the majority of the trout and drum catch and deaths don't you?
You realize that that whether or not this bill passes it will not affect the recreational fishermen one bit?
It will end all commercial fishing which means it will end all seafood in regards to these fish.
You realize that there is no science or data to support this bill don't you?
Bill

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Seems that a compromise is in order. I did a little bit of reading - Florida was effective in restoring sea trout populations by banning the use of gill nets, which are still legal in NC. It seems that this could come along with tighter recreational regulations as well.

http://www.ncfisheries.net/fmps/down...ssment2009.pdf
http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Cynosc_nebulo.htm

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Default Time is running out

Bills unrelated to spending or taxes that don't pass one chamber by Thursday (May 14th) are unlikely to be heard again until 2011.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
You realize that recreational fisherman are responsible for the majority of the trout and drum catch and deaths don't you?
You realize that that whether or not this bill passes it will not affect the recreational fishermen one bit?
It will end all commercial fishing which means it will end all seafood in regards to these fish.
You realize that there is no science or data to support this bill don't you?
Bill

The one thing I do realize is that you better get back on the meds.

I would also advise avoiding the operation of any and all heavy equipment for awhile.

What a bizarre, grossly inaccurate and in the end, frankly, a scary and disturbing post. I am astounded. What a joke.."will end all seafood.."

lln

Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 AM

The state of North Carolina has Fisheries Management Plans (FMP's) for regulated fish. The Red drum FMP has been declared a success. The trout FMP hasn't had a chance to get underway yet.
Recreational catch and kill more trout and drum than commercial fishermen.
The charts below demonstrate that recreational fishermen catch more of these fish than commercial. Information derived from the NC Division of Marine Fisheries web site.

Two things must be made crystal clear. When a recreational fishermen catches a fish-It stops with him.
When a commercial fisherman catches a fish-It goes from the dock, to the fish house to the restaurant and to the seafood market-It becomes availble to everyone, not just that one person.
Secondly-It is a very small group of "Ardent Anglers" that are pushing this gamefish status. This is not coming from the sector of the public that fishes and it definetly is not coming from all of us that eat seafood.
Quitre literally, a small band of Ardent Anglers aare attempting to ban seafood we eat.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I am inclined to agree with Bill. Commercial fishing does not seem to be a big deal with this species.

Even the people pushing the bill admit, "The last 10 years the Spotted Sea Trout and the Red Drum combined have only represented .6 % of the total NC commercial harvest revenues! That’s right, just a little over one half percent! These 2 fish historically have never been substantial or "dependable" sources of income for commercial fishermen."

Coastal Fisheries Reform Group

So then if we all agree that commercial fishermen are producing a negligible impact, why would we then ban commercial fisherman? What is the purpose? If we are truly concerned about the fish population, we'd restrict its status as a Gamefish! I understand LLN's point that, "Too many people (politicians) have supported the commercial fisherman's right to 'earn a living' too long," I just don't see how it applies to this case.

My take on this is that CFRG members are probably scared that new regulations will be put on the anglers who are overfishing the sea trout, and so they are going on a pre-emptive attack to "pin the blame" on commercial fishermen.

Last edited by le roi; 05-12-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Ah yes-The "Refrom Group". A free blog site set up by the same people who failed at a net ban so they have decided to ban the fish the net catches.
As one of their "groupies" said-It isn't about science or data-It's about allocation.
A very small group of ardent anglers are attempting to by-pass the FMP process-The process set up by the state of North Carolina and take away from one group and give it all to themselves.
This is the same group that already catches and kills the majority of trout and drum. They now want them all.
The Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries, Dr. Louis Daniel said, "It's my job is to protect the reource for all citizens of North Carolina through fishery plans. We have a highly effective process in this state that is based on science and fairness to all user groups".

This bill and the Reform Group run contrary to that stated purpose.

This "banfish wish" will permenantly remove trout and drum from any seafood market. It will permenantly remove any chance for a citizen of North carolina to access these fish as fresh, locally caught seafood.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina