Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,996 times

Advertisements

What made me think of this topic was the recent hair cut of my teenage son. He had been growing his hair out for a couple of years, when all of a sudden he wanted a mohawk. His hair has been a huge topic of debate and contention in our household because he would adamantly refuse to get a single strand of it trimmed or cut since I can't remember when. Then one day last week, out of the blue, he told me he was going to get it all cut off. So, thinking he'd change his mind, I told him I wanted to be the one to cut his hair before I took him to a pro for his mohawk.

Ever since I was a little kid and saw "16 Candles", I've been wanting to get a big pair of scissors and cut off someone's ponytail! LOL! So that's exactly what I did. And yes, it was awesome! However, I didn't know what to do with this bundled ponytail once I did it. My son actually had several of his girlfriends fighting over it. Each one wanted to keep a lock of his hair and I thought they had lost their minds. I put the hair in a clear sandwich bag and went to throw it away. But I couldn't do it! It was like my trophy or something. I was victorious for finally winning this stupid battle! So, I'm keeping it and that's that.

But it did get me thinking.....
What items or things have you kept that other people may think were "unusual, odd or strange"? It could also be things that you know other people have kept that you thought were questionable. Share your unusual stories with us, so I don't feel like a weird-o for keeping hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I kept my kids' baby teeth and eventually gave them to them.

Other than that, I'm pretty much on the other end of the spectrum. My older sister got all the pack rat genes and there just weren't many left when I came along.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM

139 posts, read 380,076 times
tickets to an ordinary baseball game, or other sporting events.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Baby teeth, first haircut, tickets, cards, baby outfits, number candles, umbilical cord nub, grandmas clothes after squirting perfume on them, homework, old castand toys, bikes and everything else.....I have to stop saving things, my garage is full and there is no room for our cars.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Not that I really WANTED to keep it but:

A skeletal mouse,inside an old glass bleach bottle.

One of my sons found it in our barn. Being a boy, he thought it was one of the coolest things ever. Now his treasure sits in a box of things I plan to give him when he gets married.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:45 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I have hair also from my 3 sons when they had their first haircut at the barber, (like big boys do). I have shown then and they laugh, so I have 2 blacks and a light brown, we had trips.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
I like to find rusty things or things with interesting shapes when I go for walks. On the way home from one walk I went into a little corner shop and when they asked how I was I said excitedly "I found a treasure" and showed them my rusty gear. They looked like they found me odd. Here is my latest treasure found on top of a mesa on an old discarded door. I love the shape. I'd like to use it in my ceramics--either make a mold or carve it into a piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Collecting or Keeping Strange Things: Have you kept odd items that others throw away?-spring11-023.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques