Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

I always have wondered would salvation army sell a car if someone dropped one off there??

Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 PM

815 posts, read 980,310 times
Default Need advice from thrift store shoppers.....

I just recently took responsibility for running a local non-profit thrift store. Our profits go to running and operating the local animal shelter, a cause that is near and dear to me.

We are in a very rural, low cost of living area in the South (very upper North Florida/lower Georgia area) Right now the store is full of over-priced junk, but I have a huge warehouse full of donations that need to be priced and placed in the store to sell. A LOT of clothes, shoes, purses. Boxes and boxes of books, some electronics. Tons of knick-knacks and home decor, etc. Not much furniture.
An incredible amount of dishes, china.
Pretty much anything and everything. Probably 25% of it is junk, 50% is decent quality, and 25% is valuable collectables and antiques.

I have a pretty strong background in retail, so I know all the basics of running a profitable business, but I could use some advice on what thrift store shoppers are looking for, and more importantly the prices they are willing to pay. I need to make decisions as far as what to put out for sale (and at what price) and what items are basically a waste of floor space.

Any one have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it. I just want to bring in as much money as possible for the animals

Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,354 times
I think one of the most important things thrift store shoppers are looking for is a low price, even for good items. That's why most people shop at thrift stores- they want something used, and that they think is neat, but it has to be a bargain.

It sounds to me like you have a bunch of items that people would buy. If I were you, I'd put everything you can up for sale, except I would get rid of any the clothes, shoes and purses in poor condition. You can try to sell other items that may have minor damages (for an extra-deep discount) if they seem like they could be easily repaired and are collectible. (No damaged glassware though, glass collectors don't want cracked or chipped items.)

Anything you have that you think is truly a valuable antique would be better to try to sell on eBay if you want to try to get more than you would at the thrift store.
I hope this advice is helpful, good luck with your store!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Now to convince the board members that we need to keep our prices low and our quality as high as possible.
Any other thoughts/suggestions are very welcome

Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtodenver View Post
you found that at a thrift store? Dare i ask how much?
$40

Old 11-04-2015, 04:54 PM

I got 3 records today

1) The best of the grateful dead - What a long strange trip its been (2 record set)
2) Yes - Close to the edge
3) Ten Years After - Stonedhenge

Old 11-04-2015, 08:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. Now to convince the board members that we need to keep our prices low and our quality as high as possible.
Any other thoughts/suggestions are very welcome
Low prices are important, but refreshing merchandise is the key. Once shoppers feel your merchandise is stale, they'll stop coming. You need repeat business. So go through everything already on the floor with a critical eye--remove what needs to go. If you get lots of little toys (Happy Meal type things), bag them in large plastic bags & sell for $2-$5, depending on the size of the bags. Keep things very clean & tidy and do not overstock clothing. If customers can't see it, they won't buy it! Don't worry if you sell something & find it was worth quite a bit more--that will keep people coming through the doors. Run specials, like Tuesday is 2 for 1 on clothing, or half price on wares.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Low prices are important, but refreshing merchandise is the key. Once shoppers feel your merchandise is stale, they'll stop coming. You need repeat business. So go through everything already on the floor with a critical eye--remove what needs to go. If you get lots of little toys (Happy Meal type things), bag them in large plastic bags & sell for $2-$5, depending on the size of the bags. Keep things very clean & tidy and do not overstock clothing. If customers can't see it, they won't buy it! Don't worry if you sell something & find it was worth quite a bit more--that will keep people coming through the doors. Run specials, like Tuesday is 2 for 1 on clothing, or half price on wares.

Good luck!
Thank you for the great advice. I personally agree with everything you said
Unfortunately, it's pretty much the exact opposite of how things are now, and the board members are VERY resistant to change.

Still, they brought me in to increase sales because what they are doing now isn't working, so they are just going to have to go with the (new) flow or find someone else.

Really appreciate the input! I just want to make as much money for the animal shelter as possible.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:41 PM

I got 3 records today (ALL MONO)

1) All in the family - 2nd album (I have the first also)
2) The best of Dean Martin (Have been looking for this for awhile)
3) Gary lewis & the playboys - Golden Greats

Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 PM

On Tuesday I got a record

Led Zeppelin - The song remains the same (A concert in 1976 @ Madison Square Garden from thier movie of the same name) - 2 record set
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques