Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 AM

52 posts, read 223,427 times

Advertisements

I remember my mother and grandmother were obsessed with collecting these stuffed animals. It seemed like such a big deal in America at the time. I remember they had them at McDonalds and people would line up for the newest one. I think my grandma even had some of the "best" ones in individual glass cases for protection lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,463,791 times
OH my Mother went nuts for them also, got my daughter into them when she was little. We still have alot of them around. My daughter won't allow me to get rid of them

Just how many stuffed animals are enough anyway?
Personally I would like to sell them all, I should imagine there are still idiots out there who would pay something for them over Ebay.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:19 AM

8,058 posts, read 10,658,133 times
Actually, that was a running joke for awhile on one of the local radio stations I listened to each morning when I lived in Charlotte, N.C. - they would go to E-bay and check to see how many Beanie Babies were for sale - and how many had "0" bids (most). I don't think people can give them away.

I hope not too many people pinned their retirement hopes and dreams on those things. Cute for kids to play with, and that's about it.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,463,791 times
We have several that are sea themed. My daughter NOW has her bathroom decorated in the ocean theme so I was thinking of hanging them from clear fishing line form the ceiling so it looks like they are swimming.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,224,259 times
Can I trade my Cabbage Patch dolls for them? How about my Pet Rock? How about my upside down McMansion? Hummer anyone?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,416,911 times
My mother can't stop buying them (she's a thrift shop fanatic)...even though they're worthless now. She has big bags full of them in her attic, most with the tags still on them, convinced they'll become collectors' items again one day.

Just don't tell her about Pogs, please, or Pokemon cards...or she'll start looking for those too.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,416,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
...Hummer anyone?
Don't offer...you might get takers.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,028,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Personally I would like to sell them all, I should imagine there are still idiots out there who would pay something for them over Ebay.
You mean as opposed to the idiots that bought them to begin with?

Actually, you cannot give them away on eBay. The new deal in town is now Webkinz

Old 05-29-2008, 01:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,062,945 times
My son collects Webkinz and plays on the Webkinz world online. He makes super hero costumes for them out of construction paper! He saves his allowance money to buy them - they each cost around $15.

My grandmother and one of my aunts went totally crazy over the Beanie Babies. I never understood it - neither one of them had young children and the grandchildren weren't into them at all. It was bizarre, that fad. The first time I had ever seen grown women - and even old women - go nuts over a cheaply made overpriced stuffed toy. I remember when the Princess Diana Beanie Baby came out - watch out! The claws came out, they each had to have one. I think they paid close to a hundred dollars for that one. Wow!

Beanie Babies I'll never understand, but the Webkinz thing is a bit more involved and has real entertainment value for young children. It's a little bit like the Sims games but geared toward the younger kids and with more learning experiences going on. My son has become very comfortable with computers by playing Webkinz. There are also educational games involved as well as things like taking care of your Webkinz pet so that it stays healthy and happy, and other things involved with Webkinz I feel are positive. I also like that the site is very safe for children, as parents we don't have to worry while they are playing their online game.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM

238 posts, read 554,853 times
i remember beanie babies, we used to have competition of who could get the most in primary school. I remember when i was 10, i had 8 teeth taken out and for being so brave my mum bought me a beanie babie. i was over the moon.
they were a huge hit but then suddenly disappeared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques