Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

It's in July. I'm still going through my stuff trying to decide what to take (you have to take at least one item and you can take two).

Anyone else here ever attended one of these? If so, what was it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:24 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Lucky you! I tried to get tickets when they were in Denver several years ago but wasn't chosen. My neighbors were though and they said they stood in line a lot but had a great time. Good luck deciding what to take!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Lucky you! I tried to get tickets when they were in Denver several years ago but wasn't chosen. My neighbors were though and they said they stood in line a lot but had a great time. Good luck deciding what to take!
At the end of the tv show, people always say they had a great time. I'd love to know what was great about it for those who don't find out they have an attic treasure, because it looks like a great deal of standing around and waiting. Did your neighbor elaborate?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I will update the thread when I decide what to take and then I'll let y'all know what the appraisers say, because I doubt very seriously that I will be on TV. LOL

Old 06-23-2016, 03:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
At the end of the tv show, people always say they had a great time. I'd love to know what was great about it for those who don't find out they have an attic treasure, because it looks like a great deal of standing around and waiting. Did your neighbor elaborate?
If you love antiques, why would you not have a good time? Whether your item is worthless, just seeing all the types of antiques and hearing all the stories associated with the items would totally make it worth it to me.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
I know a couple of people who've done it. It's a hoot. And I'm jealous. Plan to spend the whole day.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 PM

For the person who anonymously asked me "Why post in two separate threads?" thanks for the rep point and now I'll answer your question publicly since you didn't leave your name:

I posted this in the TV section as well as this section because of the different interests - one section is about TV shows and one is about antiques. This topic sort of spans both, so I thought I might get some different ideas and feedback from the people on this section of the forum.

Hope that answers your weird question.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If you love antiques, why would you not have a good time? Whether your item is worthless, just seeing all the types of antiques and hearing all the stories associated with the items would totally make it worth it to me.
I know, right? I'm really looking forward to an unusual day.

This sort of reminds me of when I got tickets and a pit pass to a NASCAR race - except that I don't even like NASCAR but I do like antiques. But I was excited about going anyway because it would be a totally new experience and one that I will probably never have again.

So even if it involves a lot of standing in line, it will still be interesting!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I know a couple of people who've done it. It's a hoot. And I'm jealous. Plan to spend the whole day.
Thanks and I'm so excited!

I just wonder though, who's bright idea it was to host this in Fort Worth, Texas in July. There's a sadistic streak in there somewhere.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
KathrynAragon--I've been lucky enough to get tickets not once, but TWICE!
We went in 07 in San Antonio, then again in 2013 in Corpus.

What's your entry time? The first time we went, we were in the last group of the day, and you could tell the appraisers were getting tired. We had a bronze appraised by Eric Silver, and an autographed LP appraised by a guy I've never seen before or since on the show.

Second time, we were at the first session of the day. We took an antique rifle we'd purchased from Rafael Eledge--he & Christopher Mitchell looked at it--Rafael immediately recognized the gun as one he had sold. It was pretty funny. Donald Cresswell appraised a small etching I had picked up on eBay for $5--it was worth $50!

It doesn't take all day. It is, amazingly, one of the most efficiently run things I've ever seen. The line moves very quickly, and everyone in line is having a blast. The appraisers are super friendly, and don't mind chatting, even though it seems so busy. They did seem a lot livelier at the earlier session, though .

You'll be amazed just how quickly it moves along. There are lots of volunteers helping to get you to the proper tables/appraisers.

None of our appraisals were filmed, but I think the bronze would have been had the appraiser known more about the artist than I did. He went to talk to the producers a couple of times during the appraisal.

You'll see the filmed appraisals going on at special tables in the midst of the venue. My husband almost fell over the electrical cords they had snaked around the cameras .

We were in the background of one appraisal in San Antonio--it was a Geronimo quiver & you can see me being silly behind the appraisal table. Lol--you don't find that stuff out until it airs! Once you're in there, it's easy to forget there are cameras all about. Wear something colorful or distinct so you can be easily spotted when the show airs.

Btw--they always film in the summer, as the new shows premiere in January.

Let me know if you have any questions. It really is exciting! I applied for tickets when they were in Austin, but didn't get picked, I'm hoping I can go for a third time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques