Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,842 times

Advertisements

This is not some expansion speculation thread nor is it LOL LOL BIG EAST SUX thread either.

I know that many teams are second fiddle in their respective regions, yet it still puzzles me why there hasn't been a clear seperation of tiers in the Big East yet. Particularly ones that are on national contenders (not Nattys but that are highly ranked and come up in BCS bowl games)

Compare with the Big Ten where it breaks down as;

Tier 1; OSU, Michigan, PSU, Neb

Tier 2; Iowa, Wisky, maybe MSU

Tier 3; everyone else.

Naturally, TCU will likely be a perrenial powerhouse in the conference due to it's Texas talent.

But who else can realistically step up? Cincy so far seems only as good as Coach Kelley was. Pitt is overshadowed by both the Nits and pro teams.

West Virginia seems like it has the most potential, being at a good recruiting crossroads and being a real football school. Not to mention a good history.

Otherwise? Hmm, it's tough to see USF coming up due to UF/FSU/UM competition, then again Florida puts out a LOT of good players.

You'll have to watch out for Charlie Strong at Louisville in the coming years, but then again how much of that is sustainable after he is gone?

Then there are the Northeast schools. If you count Pitt, along with the NYC tri state schools, I only see room for ONE to stand up above the rest, due to a lack of strong talent in the region. Theoretically, any one could stand up....

Syracuse has the history.......Rutgers has the amenities and recruting territory (Gotta get rid of Schiano though)......UConn could do SOMETHING if it ate into BC's monopolization of top New England talent.

It's real tough to call aside from obvious choices in TCU and WVU....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
As a Louisville resident, I think Charlie Strong is going to take this team places. I think it was remarkable he was able to get last year's team bowl eligible. I think we are 1-2 years away from serious national contention but our team has better days in front of it. Personally, I'll be happy with beating Kentucky.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:49 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,842 times
If Charlie Strong brings SEC level toughness with FLorida recruits I bet.......

That reminds me, the key to sucess is recruiting so where else would UL or UK get kids, Kentucky HS football doesn't get much press, is it popular there?

WVU can get kids from Ohio, PA, VA and MD so they'll be fine.

I don't get how Rutgers does so poorly while dominating NJ recruiting, only one of the three NE schools can be a national contender in a given time. You'd think they'd have find a way to at least win their conference.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

That reminds me, the key to sucess is recruiting so where else would UL or UK get kids, Kentucky HS football doesn't get much press, is it popular there?

WVU can get kids from Ohio, PA, VA and MD so they'll be fine.

I don't get how Rutgers does so poorly while dominating NJ recruiting, only one of the three NE schools can be a national contender in a given time. You'd think they'd have find a way to at least win their conference.
Rutgers is not dominating NJ in recruiting. This past year alone they gave up a 4 star recruit to USC, two 4 star recruits to SC and another 3 star recruit to SC. They still lose countless prospects from NJ to Penn State. Off the top of my head they lost Taylor Mays and Brian Cushing who went to USC. Also, Mark Ingram left NJ and went to Alabama.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

Kentucky is a basketball state.

As far as recruiting goes, I think a lot of KY kids would hop on an offer from another SEC school. UK is more concentrated on basketball, same for UL.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:06 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,438 times
No offense but the Big 10 is ruled by Ohio St. Next level contains a team or two such as Wisconsin this past season. The rest aren't that good. It has been this way since the BCS started. This past season I would call any team but Ohio St very questionable. Vast majority got completely blown out in post season play.

Big East has a top. West Virginia up until last year. TCU will be up there next year. It has the next level like UConn, Pitt, and Cuse. The rest of the team are up and comers, i.e. Louisville and USF, mixed with a few terrible teams. With more parity, there comes more chance for loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football