Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times

Advertisements

Okay. I do NOT endorse the opinions of this writer. At the same time, I can be objective enough to know that he offers up some interesting points. Provocative, even

Buzz Bissinger: Why College Football Should Be Banned - WSJ.com

What do you think? Has college football, as much as we love it, become the tail that wags the dog? What should we do about it? And let's avoid name calling. Just a rational discussion of the pros and cons of football in college life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
It's something I struggle with.

One of my greatest loves is my college football team. Or college football in general, because unlike the NFL, they play with more guts and heart.

But really...wtf does athletics have to do with academics? At a serious level, I think those same people could play in a self-sustaining minor league. And quit watering down college courses.

At the same time, though, I don't know that I would have formed such a great attachment if my college team didn't represent my college (which I also greatly loved).

It's tough. I really am of two minds on this issue.

As far as the dangers of football...well, I think that as long as people KNOW going into it that they could cause lifelong disability, then they have every right to participate.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,900,966 times
This article has little to do with college football... the writers focus is so narrow he's looking through a telescope.

He has an agenda, period. So what football isn't about academics. So what 40% of pgms lose money. So what if a few kids get injuries.

College football offers 50-70 kids at all these schools an oppty for an education that atleast half of them would not otherwise get. That in itself is enough reason to keep it. Not too mention that ALL college sports lose money. While 60% of football pgms are pofitable. And football always makes the MOST money even if it is losing. And 90% of the time it carries the burden of generating the capital for the other sports. And finally the head trauma discussion is just out of hand. Less than 1% of athletes are having these problems. The media has just overblow things and now ppl are on the soapbox.

College Football will never be banned. And shouldn't be. If u don't want to deal with football don't go to the games. Or go to a school that doesn't have a team. Period.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,969,848 times
Personally, I think the writer is an idiot. There's nothing wrong with football at colleges and just because it provides students with something to do or cheer on during the weekends doesn't make it a bad thing. It isn't ruining a person's well being by watching a game and being a fan for a couple hours. The writer is obviously just someone looking to cause attention because he's nothing more than that, a dumb writer looking to get people to read his articles.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,043,658 times
That's probably one of the most idiotic sports articles I've ever read....lol. Like some of you have already said, this guy seems to have some sort of an agenda.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times
The list of things that go on at college that have nothing to do with getting an education is pretty long. Should they all be banned as well?

Write is pretty much an idiot.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,131,034 times
College football is part of the true heritage and lifeline of our universities. The pageantry, history, and folklore all make college football an integral part of college life.

If we ban college footall due to the injury potential, than we must ban college hockey and soccer. Both of those sports also have high degree of concussion injuries and have substantial risk of injury.

Contact sport has always been a part of our culture. The mission is to make the sport as safe as possible by refining the equipment and teaching better technique to the athletes.

If there has a failure on the part of our pro and collegiate ranks to deal realistically with concussions, than that failure should continue to be refined.

Contact sport has real and substantial risks involved-----parents should be aware of the risks and deal with the subject with their kids.

It is hard to imagine that the hundreds of pro football players now joining in on the concusssion bandwagon didnt realize the potential hazards involved after clanking heads with massive brutes on gameday and in practice.

Head injuries are a serious issue------if helmet makers and some executives involved with sport covered up some facts than it needs to be addressed. Yet I still find it hard to believe that most players now aligning themselves with the concussion situation didnt realize the possible implications of physical confrontations on the field-------placekickers getting involved with this mess?????

Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM

758 posts, read 1,237,543 times
Banning college football? Might as well ban the NFL too!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,464,545 times
Bissinger is way off on this one. He mentions Oregon's tuition going up, which is accurate (but is a state funding issue), but fails to mention that UO's athletic department is one of a handful of schools that are self-sufficient (sans academic support for athletes from the general fund- which the AD pays into when they pay for the tuition of the athlete on scholarship- so it is basically using its own money).

Last edited by Acuda; 05-05-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,523,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. I do NOT endorse the opinions of this writer. At the same time, I can be objective enough to know that he offers up some interesting points. Provocative, even

Buzz Bissinger: Why College Football Should Be Banned - WSJ.com

What do you think? Has college football, as much as we love it, become the tail that wags the dog? What should we do about it? And let's avoid name calling. Just a rational discussion of the pros and cons of football in college life.
What a Nutjob! Probably just another Yankee spoutin' off at the mouth.

However, this is at least a fool-proof way of guaranteeing that the SEC doesn't win the title for a 7th straight year, eh Mr. GE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football