Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how Texas A&M's move will benefit the SEC. Obviously Texas is a massive market, no doubt about it. Everyone loves football in Texas. I'm just wondering what the rank of football FANS(not students) in Texas.

Rumors among the football crystal ball is that UT-Austin might make a run for the pac-12. The big might make a move for SMU, Tulane and U Houston.

What do you thinK?

Go Longhorns!
(as long as they aren't in the SEC or BIG 10, go Dawgs and Buckeyes respectively)

Edit: I posted this here because it seems to get the most traffic...plus U Houston is in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
What is your question?

Which Texas university has the largest football fanbase? Probably UT

Will UT move to the Pac12? Texas was rumored to both the Pac12 and B1G a year or so ago... because of the longhorn network (both conferences have co-op networks), I have hard time seeing UT going to either. B1G is likely to expand again to 16 (Virginia, UNC, Ga Tech are a few of the possibilities). This could spur expansion in the other conferences. I think UT is much more likely to stay in an expanding BIG12 then they are likely to leave for another big conference.

How does A&M moving impact the SEC? It might help some SEC schools recruit in Texas... but UT and A&M will still be the dominant recruiting powers for in state kids. The SEC brand can certainly help A&M in those head to head recruiting battles with UT, but A&M's recruiting success will largely hinge on them staying competitive in the SEC.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM

279 posts, read 724,445 times
UT has a larger alumni base and thus a larger fan base, in no small part due to the fact that TAMU was an all-male military school for a large chunk of its existence. Women were not admitted until 1963 and the Corps of Cadets was mandatory until 1965.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Basically question answered.

I'm sure the SEC got a whole bunch of TV sets in Texas thanks to A&M. I just wanted to see if the realignment and sparked any significant changes in viewership in Texas.

LostInHouston you should check out the college football section of city-data. We have a big debate going on conference realignments..albeit more ACC talk than BIG 12 talk.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 AM

22 posts, read 43,133 times
UT-Austin, Then probally Texas A&M or Baylor

Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM

104 posts, read 176,938 times
UT>ATM>Tech>Baylor>TCU>UH>SMU> UTEP>the rest

Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,153 times
1. UT
2. A&M
3. Tech
4. (Baylor, Houston, TCU) Interchangable
5. (Rice, SMU, Texas State, UTEP)

Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
UT and A&M have the largest and loudest fan base. The rest fall far behind those two. Go into any sports store in Texas and you'll always be able to find merchandise from those two schools no matter where you are. You really can't say the same about the rest.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,390 times
UT has the bigger permanent fan base than the Aggies, but don't underestimate the power of the bandwagon.

When I was growing up in middle school/high school in the late 80s and early 90s UT was terrible and A&M was a national power, and all I knew were A&M fans. There were virtually no Longhorn fans (this was in the Spring/Woodlands area).

Low and behold UT had years of success coupled with years of struggle for the Aggies, and now it's Longhorn gear you see on most people.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
UT and A&M have the largest and loudest fan base. The rest fall far behind those two. Go into any sports store in Texas and you'll always be able to find merchandise from those two schools no matter where you are. You really can't say the same about the rest.
Sort of like UGA-Georgia Tech in Georgia or Michigan-Michigan State in Michigan.

Good to know. Thanks for the replies everyone

Gig em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football