Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:43 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,548,458 times

Advertisements

.... Southern Cal according to this

USC to hire Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, making major splash in college football coaching carousel

I didn't see that coming. I thought he'd stay with the Sooners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 04:07 PM

1,605 posts, read 873,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
.... Southern Cal according to this

USC to hire Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, making major splash in college football coaching carousel

I didn't see that coming. I thought he'd stay with the Sooners.

I don't think anyone did. I wonder what it was...OU joining the SEC means increased competition which he didn't want to deal with, or did USC just give him a big ol' pile of money? Never underestimate the draw of "being one of the cool kids" and living in LA, which is still pretty spectacular if you're rich, and he will be.

I don't care if he leaves, but it's the players he takes with him that concerns me.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:09 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,376,956 times
That is a big bombshell for sure.
Nobody around the Big 12 saw it coming.
If anything, some thought he might be a candidate for the LSU job.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:37 PM

3,851 posts, read 4,454,528 times
Makes sense when you think about it.
It's hard enough competing with Texas and A&M for recruits in Texas, but now he can expect a full on charge from the rest of the SEC. Meanwhile, what appeal does Norman hold for a 17 year old from Florida/Alabama/Georgia? He read the tea leaves and figured out very quickly where Oklahoma is going to end up and bounced. In LA, if he gets USC to be even halfway decent he automatically gets a huge leg up for those Cali recruits. There is no real downside for him. Worst case scenario he fails at USC, but that team had been going downhill for a while now. He can fall back on his OK successes to land another job somewhere along with a nice big payout I'm sure. Excellent business decision.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,024,134 times
Can't imagine how he'll cover the cost of moving and what if some of his college credits don't transfer?

Old 11-30-2021, 10:51 AM

30,206 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Makes sense when you think about it.
It's hard enough competing with Texas and A&M for recruits in Texas, but now he can expect a full on charge from the rest of the SEC. Meanwhile, what appeal does Norman hold for a 17 year old from Florida/Alabama/Georgia? He read the tea leaves and figured out very quickly where Oklahoma is going to end up and bounced. In LA, if he gets USC to be even halfway decent he automatically gets a huge leg up for those Cali recruits. There is no real downside for him. Worst case scenario he fails at USC, but that team had been going downhill for a while now. He can fall back on his OK successes to land another job somewhere along with a nice big payout I'm sure. Excellent business decision.
No doubt the move to the SEC was a big factor. Much tougher competition. Having to compete with Alabama every year.

Look at Oklahoma's bowl results: They played SEC teams all four years under Riley. Lost to Alabama, Georgia and LSU. Beat Florida.

In the Pac-12 its easier than the Big 12. But who knows. He took over a Oklahoma program running perfectly. He just had to keep it going. Chip Kelley took over a perfectly running Oregon program. Not so easy when you take over a floundering program at UCLA.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:59 AM

17,834 posts, read 13,750,003 times
Rumors abound around Oklahoma. Everything from a 10 year 150 million dollar contract with Jet Plane perks and helicopters for commuting to being afraid of the SEC to being upset about OU's compliance program being too strict.

Could be that after he lost to OSU he knew it was best to get out of town. LOL.

It's a weird vibe. People here feel like he stabbed OU in the back and they are mad... and they are mad that he has messed up recruiting and is going to take commits with him to USC.

But I really don't get the impression that anybody is really upset that he isn't going to be coach of the program anymore. There is a sense that he was maxed out on what his success level could be here at OU and that going to the SEC he wasn't going to be able to get OU to the Bama, Georgia level.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:16 PM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 1 hour ago)

5,732 posts, read 4,719,855 times
Saying that OU can't recruit on a national stage is far from true. Their QB comes from DC.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:21 PM

3,851 posts, read 4,454,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Rumors abound around Oklahoma. Everything from a 10 year 150 million dollar contract with Jet Plane perks and helicopters for commuting to being afraid of the SEC to being upset about OU's compliance program being too strict.

It's a weird vibe. People here feel like he stabbed OU in the back and they are mad... and they are mad that he has messed up recruiting and is going to take commits with him to USC.

But I really don't get the impression that anybody is really upset that he isn't going to be coach of the program anymore. There is a sense that he was maxed out on what his success level could be here at OU and that going to the SEC he wasn't going to be able to get OU to the Bama, Georgia level.
Agree with everything you said.
The simple fact of the matter is that OK was simply the best of a mediocre bunch in the Big 12. So he won a bunch of conference titles and then got smoked in the playoffs when he went up against the big dogs. Him having two Heisman trophy winners distracted people from the fact that his teams were not truly elite.
I do find it a bit rich for Oklahoma fans to complain about getting stabbed in the back after what they did to the Big 12. Karma is one mean female dog.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:40 AM

30,206 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Same sort of thing when Lane Kiffin left Tennessee for USC. Anger from the school that got jilted. Kiffin was suppose to be the savior for USC also. He crashed and burned after less than 4 seasons.

OU should have locked Riley in better. Some huge buyout that no other school would touch. From what I have read it is $4.5 million. That is peanuts. Seems like they thought he was never going anywhere.

Looking at the OU. I believe they have never had a losing season. Worst was 7-4. They have not had worse than 3 losses for decades. But going to the SEC. That will be tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football