Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Quickest return to prominence
Nebraska 1 2.94%
Miami 6 17.65%
USC 17 50.00%
Tennessee 3 8.82%
Texas 4 11.76%
Florida ST 9 26.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 11:30 AM

4,413 posts, read 4,309,840 times

Advertisements

Seeing Michigans recent resurgence got me thinking. Which CFB program that was stories in the past is most likely to have success soon. I’m picking schools that have a household name but have struggled or been mediocre for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 01:43 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,403,282 times
With Cristobal going to Miami and with Clemson not being as dominant as in years past, my thoughts are with Miami mainly because they are in the ACC where the competition should not be as stiff as SEC or BIG10.
Tennessee is trending upward and should continue to do so but the SEC is a much tougher conference.
USC may move up in the PAC 12 but is not likely to be competitive against SEC or BIG10 teams.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:33 PM

12,951 posts, read 13,369,463 times
USC has the best shot, IMO, followed by Texas & Miami.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
I voted USC.

Miami has a good shot too.

Last place is Tennessee for sure. That program has been dead forever and with the SEC adding more competition will just get worse.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:31 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,648,427 times
Out of the choices I selected USC. I think the regional talent juxtaposed with a coaching genius for quarterbacks lead to a great recovery in the near future. USC has dominated in the past like during the Pete Carroll era. Earlier, they had a good run with Larry Smith who left U of A for USC. I think Riley might find quick success like that but go further. It's also relatively easier to win the Pac-12 compared to the SEC. With that said, I grew up in the Pact-12 region and am fully aware some "trap" games come out from supposedly low ranking teams like when Washington State upset #1 UCLA back in the 80s. ASU or Stanford have also been known to upset USC when they were dominant. The "Pac-12" is "relatively" easier but still not a downhill casual stroll to the beach. It's still going to take a lot of work and recruiting. But Riley can do it.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:03 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,893,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I voted USC.

Miami has a good shot too.

Last place is Tennessee for sure. That program has been dead forever and with the SEC adding more competition will just get worse.
I agree with USC, but do not agree with Miami at all. Miami is a tiny private school in SEC country, also competing with FSU and UF in-state. Throughout the 90’s before the SEC was the dominant conference it is now, they recruited based on reputation and pipeline. They have a fraction of the budget that the SEC schools have, and are competing with FSU and UF for in-state talent (not t mention the rest of the SEC). Losing to Louisiana Tech in a bowl game just 2 years ago does not indicate a team that has a good shot at being back anytime soon. Not to mention their 4 straight bowl losses.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:27 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,496,361 times
USC. The Pac-12 is relatively weak and they have LA, the Coliseum, and the past glory to pitch. I'd give Miami second best chance. Bringing in an area guy like Cristobal that can keep the locals around I think is a home run hire. Clemson is the closest program you can call being a "national power" in the conference, and I'm not sure Clemson is ever staying where they were for the Taj Boyd/Watson/Sammy Watkins era. Miami can own the conference in as little as 3 years if Cristobal keeps the big time recruits at home.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:15 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,307,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
With Cristobal going to Miami and with Clemson not being as dominant as in years past, my thoughts are with Miami mainly because they are in the ACC where the competition should not be as stiff as SEC or BIG10.
Tennessee is trending upward and should continue to do so but the SEC is a much tougher conference.
USC may move up in the PAC 12 but is not likely to be competitive against SEC or BIG10 teams.
Top to bottom, the SEC is not a tough conference. They have a few teams that dominate the rest. Both the Big Ten and Pac 12 are more balanced.

I voted USC because I think Riley is the exact right guy because of his age, personality and drive to recruit and get the players to perform.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:50 AM

173 posts, read 64,430 times
I picked Tennessee

Old 12-10-2021, 12:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,893,026 times
FSU or Nebraska.

FSU- the ACC is weak, and especially with Clemson being raked of their coaching talent. They are in a rich football talent state, are a large public university with lots of alum and boosters, and with relatively light competition in the ACC, they should be able to rise back quickly.

Nebraska has gotten better, but has come up just short the last few years against good teams. But they are in the relatively light Big Ten West. Wisconsin is solid, but beatable. Iowa even more so. Although Purdue looks like they may be building a little something the way they looked last year, I still think Nebraska has a chance to be competitive. They will not compete for a Big Ten title because they won’t be able to consistently beat OSU, Michigan, or even MSU; but with the right coaching, they could be competitive with Wisconsin and Iowa, and possibly make it out of the B10 West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football