Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

[quote=michigan83;12390129]Don't lump the northeast and the midwest in together, please!

The midwest is way ahead of the northeast when it comes to interest in college football. And yes, the South is way ahead of the midwest. But you can't say that people in Ohio love the Browns and Bengals more than Ohio State (they don't). Or that Michigan football is not a bigger deal than the Lions (ahh, the Lions, lol). Wisconsin also takes its college football VERY seriously. And don't even get me started on Indiana. Notre Dame is in Indiana, for Pete's sake! Iowa doesn't have a professional football team, but those people are obsessed with the Hawkeyes. Iowa is known as one of the best traveling groups of fans in the U.S. Why do you think Iowa got invited to the Orange Bowl? They could have found a better team to play in that game, but Iowa was guaranteed to sell a crapload of tickets.

The midwest and the northeast are nothing alike in this department.[/quote

--: They could have found a better team to play in that game "--

?????????????

Then they would have had to find 2 better teams to play in that game.

The team they found ( Iowa) upset Ceorgia Tech.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
"Penn State is near what city? The answer is PHILADELPHIA. Many of the people that graudated from Penn State are from The Philly metro area. Therefore, they are concerned about the Flyers, 76ers, Eagles and Phillies.

Yeah, those two schools have followings, but they take a huge back seat to pro sports. "

Sorry pal, but I gotta call you on this. Penn State isn't NEAR philly. It's about 3 hours away, smack dab in the middle of the state. Most of the state is crazy about Penn State football. It's the sole exception in the northeast aside from when New York's Syracuse is actually good (damn it's been a while).

Where you are right is only moderate at best interest from Philly people. They kinda like Penn State but they much more care about college hoops cause of the local teams.

Anyway's you may see people like Penn State, Michigan, OSU or Notre Dame get their time in the sun but as long as things are the way they are, the South will rule the BCS. The main reason that it's these teams and not others is because winning begets high expectations, and these schools have the long history of fufilling such expectations to flaunt towards recruits.

I didn't know that southern high schools had spring practice sessions, that goes a long way to explaining how talented southern recruits are.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 AM

151 posts, read 132,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Don't lump the northeast and the midwest in together, please!

The midwest is way ahead of the northeast when it comes to interest in college football. And yes, the South is way ahead of the midwest. But you can't say that people in Ohio love the Browns and Bengals more than Ohio State (they don't). Or that Michigan football is not a bigger deal than the Lions (ahh, the Lions, lol). Wisconsin also takes its college football VERY seriously. And don't even get me started on Indiana. Notre Dame is in Indiana, for Pete's sake! Iowa doesn't have a professional football team, but those people are obsessed with the Hawkeyes. Iowa is known as one of the best traveling groups of fans in the U.S. Why do you think Iowa got invited to the Orange Bowl? They could have found a better team to play in that game, but Iowa was guaranteed to sell a crapload of tickets.

The midwest and the northeast are nothing alike in this department.
Yes, they are. Those college teams will ALWAYS take a back seat to pro for the majority of the people in the area.

You might not want it to, but it does.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
"Penn State is near what city? The answer is PHILADELPHIA. Many of the people that graudated from Penn State are from The Philly metro area. Therefore, they are concerned about the Flyers, 76ers, Eagles and Phillies.

Yeah, those two schools have followings, but they take a huge back seat to pro sports. "

Sorry pal, but I gotta call you on this. Penn State isn't NEAR philly. It's about 3 hours away, smack dab in the middle of the state. Most of the state is crazy about Penn State football. It's the sole exception in the northeast aside from when New York's Syracuse is actually good (damn it's been a while).

Where you are right is only moderate at best interest from Philly people. They kinda like Penn State but they much more care about college hoops cause of the local teams.

Anyway's you may see people like Penn State, Michigan, OSU or Notre Dame get their time in the sun but as long as things are the way they are, the South will rule the BCS. The main reason that it's these teams and not others is because winning begets high expectations, and these schools have the long history of fufilling such expectations to flaunt towards recruits.

I didn't know that southern high schools had spring practice sessions, that goes a long way to explaining how talented southern recruits are.
No, sorry to you pal. You don't know what you are talking about. Penn State IS NEAR PHILLY.

I have friends from Philly and all over NJ that went to Penn State.

All of them followed the Philly teams in all four major sports. All of them love Penn State football, but it takes a back seat to pro.

Also, let's not forget that Philly has satellite campuses.

I have lived my whole life in this area, I know a little more than you about what goes on here.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp83 View Post
No, sorry to you pal. You don't know what you are talking about. Penn State IS NEAR PHILLY.
No, it's not. Waltantz was correct- it's 3+ hours away. I've made that trip at least 30 times. PSU is actually a bit closer to Pittsburgh than Philly.

Quote:
I have friends from Philly and all over NJ that went to Penn State.

All of them followed the Philly teams in all four major sports. All of them love Penn State football, but it takes a back seat to pro.
Right, but waltantz's point is that PSU dominates most of PA, and in my experience he's right. Iggles may dominate Philly and Stillers may dominate Pittsburgh but for most of the state geographically, Penn State is the favored team. Also for PSU alums, Penn State football usually takes precedence over the pro teams.

Quote:
Also, let's not forget that Philly has satellite campuses.
Which are tiny compared to main campus and don't have football teams.

Quote:
I have lived my whole life in this area, I know a little more than you about what goes on here.
I've lived outside of Philly, I went to PSU, and I have relatives elsewhere in PA. Trust me, PSU football is huge outside of the major cities. It doesn't take a back seat to pro except for around Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
No, it's not. Waltantz was correct- it's 3+ hours away. I've made that trip at least 30 times. PSU is actually a bit closer to Pittsburgh than Philly.

Right, but waltantz's point is that PSU dominates most of PA, and in my experience he's right. Iggles may dominate Philly and Stillers may dominate Pittsburgh but for most of the state geographically, Penn State is the favored team. Also for PSU alums, Penn State football usually takes precedence over the pro teams.

Which are tiny compared to main campus and don't have football teams.

I've lived outside of Philly, I went to PSU, and I have relatives elsewhere in PA. Trust me, PSU football is huge outside of the major cities. It doesn't take a back seat to pro except for around Philly and Pittsburgh.
I am aware that the campus is three hours away and if you have not noticed three hours is pretty close. EVERYONE that I know who went to Penn State (many) care about pro sports more than Penn State football.

Ummmm, no. Penn state football does not dominate PA. The Eagles, Flyers, 76ers, Phillies, Steelers, Penguins and Pirates dominate the state of PA.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I live in outstate Minnesota and like the Gophers more than the Vikings.
However, it seems no one else is interested in the Gophers and people talk of having tickets and going to a Viking game. I hardly ever hear that about a Gopher game.

Maybe the fact the Gophers haven't made it to the Rose Bowl in nearly 50 years has something to do with it.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp83 View Post
People in other regions of the United States simply don't care about college football a lot.

I would much rather watch NHL, NFL, MLB or NBA over college football. Whereas, people in the south are obsessed with College Football.

IMO....... college football = minor leaque football

Ill pass!
>>>>>
IMO....... college football = minor leaque football
<<<<<

This sounds a little bitter to me.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
I'd rather watch college football over NFL any day. The west coast-like offense ruined the pros. Seems like 90% of the pass attmepts in NFL are just quick drop, 5 yards, try to set it up for 3rd and short.

I like the 1 foot inbounds rule in c-ball, more scoring, more deep throws. more trick plays.....the way football should be played.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
I am in the middle on this.

One the one hand, college football IS minor league football, no getting away from that.

I don't think the West coast offense ruin the pros though. Either way, aside from some big 10 and SEC teams, few play the smashmouth football that was so prevalent in yesteryear.

But anyways, this is beyond the point.

The Big 10 gems will rise again as will Washington and maaayyybe Syracuse but the nerve center of college football will always be in Dixie and Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football