Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times

Advertisements

When I first read this thread and before I clicked on the link, I thought Park was an online school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:56 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Who cares if anybody has ever "heard" of the schools? Everyone has heard of a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts degree. They have heard of a Masters degree too. These schools are places that have value because they provide a means for people to further their education beyond HS. ANY school that is accredited and provides a vehicle for students to be challenged and further their education is good IMO.

I say to anyone considering any of these schools, if they fit your circumstances and budget, by all means attend the school. I have a cousin who attended Roosevelt in Chicago and earned her Masters degree. She's now Principal at a school in Los Angeles and very happy. She is very happy with the education she received at Roosevelt.
Name recognition DOES matter, even if it isn't everything. The top schools aren't such because the education they offer is infinitely better, it's because of the resources they provide (i.e. research funding and networking).

Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
The problem with this list is that outside of Howard University, most employers have never heard of these schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This. I can't see wasting any money on a school that no one has heard of and has mediocre admissions criteria.

Howard and, to a lesser extent, Hampton are the only schools with any name recognition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
There's a big difference in a B.A. from Joe's College 'O Knowledge and Harvard University.

It makes a difference to someone looking to hire you or a grad school you're looking to get into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Name recognition DOES matter, even if it isn't everything. The top schools aren't such because the education they offer is infinitely better, it's because of the resources they provide (i.e. research funding and networking).
And just how many people do you suppose are cross-shopping any of these schools against Harvard or any other "top school"? They're probably shopping them against other small liberal arts colleges that nobody has ever heard of and second- or third-tier state universities that nobody outside those states have ever heard of. And there are several hundred such schools all across the country producing hundreds of thousands of graduates each year who are or will be better off for having attended their respective colleges versus having not attended. The question presented here is that of value, not name recognition.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And just how many people do you suppose are cross-shopping any of these schools against Harvard or any other "top school"? They're probably shopping them against other small liberal arts colleges that nobody has ever heard of and second- or third-tier state universities that nobody outside those states have ever heard of. And there are several hundred such schools all across the country producing hundreds of thousands of graduates each year who are or will be better off for having attended their respective colleges versus having not attended. The question presented here is that of value, not name recognition.
Agreed. It's not like most people have the choice of one of these schools or HYPS. These are the schools average folks can actually gain admittance to and get the most bang for their buck.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Agreed. It's not like most people have the choice of one of these schools or HYPS. These are the schools average folks can actually gain admittance to and get the most bang for their buck.
I disagree on "bang for your buck." There are a number of public schools that are cheaper and have a much larger professional network. And these range from top public schools to middle-of-the-road public schools that probably aren't terribly difficult to get into.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Lol no there isn't. The requirements for Park are to have 2 of the following
  • High School GPA of 2.0
  • Rank in top 50% of class
  • ACT >= 20 or SAT >= 950
If you graduate HS with a 3.0 (B average), you get in no matter what. C'mon dude, it's also an online school. And take a look at your status - still looking for work? I'm sure the Harvard boys are having a much easier time finding it.

Park University Admissions
Really, Park is also a brick and mortar school that's been around since the late 1800s, I believe. Their original campus is in Parkville, MO, a neighboring community to where I live. It isn't an institution created for the purpose of distance/online learning, like University of Phoenix, etc. It was already a school before it added that, as I understand. I don't know much about it, but I do know that it's got a "real" campus, and a history as a school that goes back more than 15 years.

In terms of name recognition, just like with anything else, branding is far more important in some geographic regions than others, far more important in some industries than others, and far more important in some social circles than others. There are loads of small, regional liberal arts colleges that aren't widely known outside of their geographic area or a particular niche, yet offer quality ed...I attended one. If somebody's heard of my alma mater, I usually rightly assume that they fall under at least one, if not many, of the following categories: Lutheran, Minnesotan, Scandinavian, fans of choral music. Yet, despite its regional status, it offers a top-notch education, and it's never hindered me in any way professionally due to name recognition or lack thereof. I simply don't live in a part of the country where people put much stock in name recognition...they wouldn't turn down an ivy leaguer, but they don't anticipate that their main applicant base will be ivy leaguers, either. I also don't work in a profession where it matters, much.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If somebody's heard of my alma mater, I usually rightly assume that they fall under at least one, if not many, of the following categories: Lutheran, Minnesotan, Scandinavian, fans of choral music.
Let me guess... St. Olaf.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I disagree on "bang for your buck." There are a number of public schools that are cheaper and have a much larger professional network. And these range from top public schools to middle-of-the-road public schools that probably aren't terribly difficult to get into.
Maybe you should write your own article then It was just the opinion of the author.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
I've only heard of two of the colleges in that list- Roosevelt University and Flagler College. Two of my friends go to Roosevelt for their theatre program. According to them it's a really good, intense program with teachers that have extensive knowledge of the business. Flagler, in St. Augustine, FL has one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. I visited last summer and was in awe. Not sure about the academics but it's probably just a good liberal arts education.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let me guess... St. Olaf.
Hah, I knew somebody would say that...nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities