Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 AM

39 posts, read 65,279 times

Advertisements

Well, English is not my first language, so I am not familiar with some definitions or categories set by native speakers.

Thus I really need your help!

I saw the Wikipedia website classify the US colleges and universities into many kinds( i.e. research universities, baccalaureate colleges, associate's colleges, master's degree-granting institutions, and special-focus institutions), and I am really really confused.

Can you help me figure out what is the difference between these Classifications?

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I am busy finding a grad school for a M.S. As far as I know that many top universities are in the "research universities" category, for example MIT Harvard. So should I focus on just this categories? But I also saw other good universities do not in that category.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Last edited by wshp90; 08-03-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

36 posts, read 77,146 times
You'll be looking for a Master's Degree-granting institution. Depends on your discipline though.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,852,619 times
In the USA, we refer to "university" as *almost* synonymous with "college." I know many other countries consider "college" as the secondary education. In the USA, that would be called "high school."

Colleges, in the states, are sometimes considered smaller versions of universities, and in fact, universities are generally divided into individual colleges that comprise them. However, not all colleges are part of universities. Some are independent entities. But both are "higher education" systems.

So when people in the USA talk about college, or university, they are talking about the school people usually start attending around the time they turn 18 years old.

There are different levels of degrees; there's the Associate's Degree, which is typically a 2-year program. There's the Baccalaureate (pronounced batch-a-lore-ET), a 4-year program with a focus in one or another field of study. Then there's the Masters', which comes after the B.S. and often requires a published thesis. There's a 6th year, which is just called a 6th year, and there's a PhD, or, Doctorate of Philosophy.

There are a myriad of other degrees for specialty fields such as nursing, medical doctor, veterinary doctor, lawyer, etc. etc. But the general educational degrees are noted above.

The M.S. you're looking for is a Masters of Science, which is a graduate program, and you can find them at schools that have graduate programs. Most universities have them - but it really depends on the field of study you're looking for.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM

22,680 posts, read 47,874,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's the Baccalaureate (pronounced batch-a-lore-ET), a 4-year program with a focus in one or another field of study.
I do believe it is more like back-ah-LAUR-ee-et.
Yours sounds like bachelorette.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 12,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity01 View Post
You'll be looking for a Master's Degree-granting institution. Depends on your discipline though.
And to widen the field, many PhD-granting institutions also have MA programs. Sometimes these are terminal (meaning you won't continue on for a PhD) and sometimes they are combined MA/PhD.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
In the USA, we refer to "university" as *almost* synonymous with "college." I know many other countries consider "college" as the secondary education. In the USA, that would be called "high school."

Colleges, in the states, are sometimes considered smaller versions of universities, and in fact, universities are generally divided into individual colleges that comprise them. However, not all colleges are part of universities. Some are independent entities. But both are "higher education" systems.

So when people in the USA talk about college, or university, they are talking about the school people usually start attending around the time they turn 18 years old.

There are different levels of degrees; there's the Associate's Degree, which is typically a 2-year program. There's the Baccalaureate (pronounced batch-a-lore-ET), a 4-year program with a focus in one or another field of study. Then there's the Masters', which comes after the B.S. and often requires a published thesis. There's a 6th year, which is just called a 6th year, and there's a PhD, or, Doctorate of Philosophy.

There are a myriad of other degrees for specialty fields such as nursing, medical doctor, veterinary doctor, lawyer, etc. etc. But the general educational degrees are noted above.

The M.S. you're looking for is a Masters of Science, which is a graduate program, and you can find them at schools that have graduate programs. Most universities have them - but it really depends on the field of study you're looking for.
AnonChick, thank to your answer, now I know these stuff better!

First I want to add few information that I am looking for a financial math program, and good-ranking schools(about 20-120) are better.

As you said that I should find schools that have graduate programs, but the problem is, there are too many schools that I never heard of their names, let alone know which has graduate programs and which don't. And I found this webpage(List of colleges and universities in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
have a list of "Open institutions"(which I either not sure what it exactly means, I guess institutions of this list is still open to apply).
I thought if there is certain rules about which kinds of institutions have graduate programs and others don't, then I will not have to check all of them.

Now I guess I need to exclude institutions which are in the Baccalaureate and Associate's category?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 AM

9,351 posts, read 14,976,178 times
You really need to decide on

1. A geographical area- the US is huge and there are places you won't want to go to

2. Which programs are ranked best in your field

3. Cost vs benefit analysis

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You really need to decide on

1. A geographical area- the US is huge and there are places you won't want to go to

2. Which programs are ranked best in your field

3. Cost vs benefit analysis
Yes, I already have my ideal geographical area-Massachusetts, because I heard that MASSACHUSETTS has well-developed education, I guess it is good for me. But I am not quite familiar with the situation in the States, so I am not quite sure whether its correct.

And I also decide to apply the Financial Math.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yours sounds like bachelorette.
...which you will also find a lot of at a university. PAR-TAY!!! (don't forget to have some fun too, wherever you go OP!)

Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,852,619 times
Actually pit, we were both wrong. I had the accent wrong. It's on the batch, not the et. BATCH-uh-lore-et.

And yeah it's batch, not back. Two CCs, when sandwiched between the same vowel, are pronounced TCH. Bacca...so the a, then the cc, then another a, determines the pronunciation. It -is- similar to bachelorette but the accent is on the bach rather than the ette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities