Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Like other posters, I've used and heard the phrase, "rising" whatever, for a long time and know that it means that they are finishing one year and about to embark on the next. It's used by all students from elementary through College.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
So, then what does it imply? That the applicant is just pulling your leg? That they are really just a lazy lump, yet want to give the impression that they are 'rising'?

The title of this thread is College Grads/Students using the phrase...That implies that the applicant has intentions of being upwardly-mobile and not settling for the bottom or even middle.

So please, enlighten me. How am I a good example of someone who does not 'get it' let alone not wanting to?

Now, if it simply means moving from one grade level to the next that is one thing, however if that is the case the OP needs to remove College Grad from the title unless these grads are entering grad school. Anyways, I posted my reply based on what was written in the OP.
It simply means you're in-between grades. I never used it in school, however, I know people who did and it was never used in an "I'm better than you" way. This was clarified probably a dozen times in the prior pages.

The OP didn't know what the phrase meant, hence the reason for the thread. I do agree the name of the thread is confusing, however, the OP never mentions Grads in his/her post, only students.

I get to read students' cover letters for job applications sometimes, and if I ever read "I am a rising..." again I think I'm going to puke.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
The OP didn't know what the phrase meant, hence the reason for the thread. I do agree the name of the thread is confusing, however, the OP never mentions Grads in his/her post, only students.
Yes, only students in the OP, yet the title of the thread specifically states college grads AND students. Now, with that, one can only surmise that the OP is reading applications/resumes from people who have already graduated from college. Why that is so hard to deduce is beyond me. And yes, I get the whole point about moving up from grade X to grade Y. But like I wrote, the OP leads to the possibility that he is reading resumes that use the phrase I am a rising... from students who already graduated. I read it like it was wrote.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Quote:
Yes, only students in the OP, yet the title of the thread specifically states college grads AND students. Now, with that, one can only surmise that the OP is reading applications/resumes from people who have already graduated from college. Why that is so hard to deduce is beyond me. And yes, I get the whole point about moving up from grade X to grade Y. But like I wrote, the OP leads to the possibility that he is reading resumes that use the phrase I am a rising... from students who already graduated. I read it like it was wrote.
Yeah, I agree, that does seem weird to use it in that context. Do they mean like "aspiring" or something?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
Quote:
You could of clarified things for yourself by reading the OP and a few of the replies before you posted. Instead, you jumped to conclusions and made up your own definition.

You now know what the phrase means, there is really nothing more to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities