Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM

22 posts, read 37,712 times

Advertisements

Overall I want to go to a college in Florida preferably by beaches and clubs and is city like with lots to do for 21 and up students. I dont have a car and is hoping for not to expensive school with this agenda being 20,000 in tuition the most. Mostly a college with a decent rep and less of a commuter school with a good campus life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times
Is your post serious? It appears as though you want to have fun rather than an education. What are you planning to study? Writing/grammar should be at the top of the list.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:57 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjay190 View Post
Overall I want to go to a college in Florida preferably by beaches and clubs and is city like with lots to do for 21 and up students. I dont have a car and is hoping for not to expensive school with this agenda being 20,000 in tuition the most. Mostly a college with a decent rep and less of a commuter school with a good campus life
The University of Central Florida, the University of Florida and Florida State are fairly distant from beaches. The latter two are also, for state schools, quite competitive even for instate students with a decent grasp of grammar, punctuation, and geography.
The University of South Florida is about an hour from the beach (less if you are on the St Pete campus) and is losing some of its traditionally commuter-based status. But without knowing what you're interested in besides partying and lying in the sun (and FTR it's been in the mid-20s here the last two nights, so you may want to rethink that Jimmy Buffett fantasy), it would be hard to recommend anywhere.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,780,704 times
Quote:
Are you serious? What are you going to college for; a 4-year party?

But the answer to your question is that there are really no schools that fit your bill that I can think of. $20,000 in tuition is quite a bit less than University of Miami...which is about $38,000 a year. Florida International University is also in Miami....but quite a bit away from the beach (in western Miami). Miami is not known for its public transportation anyway...I couldn't imagine living there without a car (I lived there for 7 years).

See other comments regarding USF, UF, and FSU.

Florida Atlantic University is relatively close to the beach. However it is a bit removed from Ft. Lauderdale (in fact, it's in southern Palm Beach County); the closest "hot spot" and is largely a commuter school.

Sorry buddy!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Is your post serious? It appears as though you want to have fun rather than an education. What are you planning to study? Writing/grammar should be at the top of the list.
First of all those who suggested good schools thank you, and being a forum I didn't even re-read what I wrote because I did not think it was that serious since I was simply trying to get info real quick from regular individuals, I'm not looking for people to judge my grammar but answer my questions. My grammar was not that bad for you not to understand what I was trying to get at. Thank you all for your suggestions anyway.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Are you serious? What are you going to college for; a 4-year party?

But the answer to your question is that there are really no schools that fit your bill that I can think of. $20,000 in tuition is quite a bit less than University of Miami...which is about $38,000 a year. Florida International University is also in Miami....but quite a bit away from the beach (in western Miami). Miami is not known for its public transportation anyway...I couldn't imagine living there without a car (I lived there for 7 years).

See other comments regarding USF, UF, and FSU.

Florida Atlantic University is relatively close to the beach. However it is a bit removed from Ft. Lauderdale (in fact, it's in southern Palm Beach County); the closest "hot spot" and is largely a commuter school.

Sorry buddy!

If it helps my major is MIS, and I am actually standing quite well academically. I am from NJ and wanted a new sense of scenery, that is why I am looking for area of such. It's not that partying and beaches is all I am into, I am just young and seeking to live that out to my full potential. I worked really hard at a junior college with barely any time to party or get out much that's why these things interest me now, I still want to do very well in school but yes I am honestly looking for a party scene, sorry if that makes me a immature person to certain individuals. My budget is low and I have no car that is why I wanted a cheaper college, with a still a good rep and less commuting.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,780,704 times
Quote:
If it helps my major is MIS, and I am actually standing quite well academically. I am from NJ and wanted a new sense of scenery, that is why I am looking for area of such. It's not that partying and beaches is all I am into, I am just young and seeking to live that out to my full potential. I worked really hard at a junior college with barely any time to party or get out much that's why these things interest me now, I still want to do very well in school but yes I am honestly looking for a party scene, sorry if that makes me a immature person to certain individuals. My budget is low and I have no car that is why I wanted a cheaper college, with a still a good rep and less commuting.
As an out-of-state student, it will be very hard to find tuition under $20K in FL. Even at my school, FGCU, which is one of the cheapest ones in the FL state system, the tuition is $23,000 for those who are out-of-state. Unless you are willing to up the amount of money that you are willing to spend, I see no viable options to suggest.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,387,285 times
As others have suggested, the universities in the larger cities are commuter schools. Florida and Florida State are the only two that are in college towns, but they're both inland and probably about 1 1/2 hours from the closest beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities