Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times

Advertisements

Note: Sorry about posting this in multiple forums, I wasn't sure where I'd get the best answer(s).

I would love to study abroad as a grad student or a professional, but I can only find programs for high school students and undergraduate students. Does anyone know of any study or work in another country that caters to people who have passed undergrad or older people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Note: Sorry about posting this in multiple forums, I wasn't sure where I'd get the best answer(s).

I would love to study abroad as a grad student or a professional, but I can only find programs for high school students and undergraduate students. Does anyone know of any study or work in another country that caters to people who have passed undergrad or older people?
I know a few but it's highly dependent on price and whether you want credit or non credit for the class. What exactly are you looking for? A developing country? A Western nation?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
If you are a grad student, then your school may have a person or department assigned to find you study abroad opportunities. I know my university has many opportunities for graduate students to study abroad.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Do you need college credit? If not, there are lots of options out there. I think they're most often advertised under specific areas of interests, though; cooking, language, archaeology, etc, and of course also by location. Check out the study abroad programs for students, too, as they are often open to anyone; I know I ran into a few programs that were open to anyone, not just students, and seemed to attract a lot of adults. My own study abroad program attracted a younger crowd, but it was also open to anyone. There's also a lot of volunteer programs out there, some of which cost a lot of money, some of which don't. Like others have said, it all depends on your budget, your interests, and goals.

If you're okay with just working abroad for a year and don't necessarily want the formal program, some countries (like New Zealand New Zealand Working Holiday Visa: New Zealand Visa Bureau) offer "working holiday" visas for people under 30. I also know people -- including those who are well over 30 -- who have gone to other countries to teach English for a year or so.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:59 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Thanks for the responses! To answer a few of your questions:

No, I don't need college credit. I'm not in school right now, though I have applied for grad school and if accepted will begin in Fall '11 (which is why I asked about opportunities for grad students).

I'd prefer to check out a Western nation, for the time being. But I'm open to the whole planet!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Here's a detailed article about one such program (in this case a language program) in Italy; you can find similar programs in many other cities and countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities