Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times

Advertisements

My kids when they were in college just hated certain professors because they would call on their students even though the student did not raise their hand or express in any way an interest in participating in class discussion. Here are some things the Professors did that drove the students absolutely crazy:

1) If the student appeared to not pay attention, the Professor would approach them and ask, "Stand up and tell the class what I have been saying for the last few minutes."

2) The Professor would approach the student and ask, "Please draw us a link between what I am saying and the reading you did in last night to prepare for the class."

3) The Professor would approach the student and ask them, "Do you agree with what I am saying, why or why not."

Usually the students who had been paying attention and had finished the required reading do Ok, but most of the students fall flat and end up looking like an idiot.

The Professor says that if the students were participating in a business meeting and senior management called on them, they would have to be informed, engaged and articulate. The students say they don't think it is fair to be called upon in class and the Professor should only engage them if the student raises his or her hand. They said that the Professor is a bully and only feeding his or her ego.

Who is right?

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 08-23-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:36 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
The prof is doing his job and the students are whiners.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 AM

83 posts, read 194,166 times
Yes the instructor should make sure all students are actively engaged and participating.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
The professor.
I am surprised you even had to ask who is right!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:34 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Hard to imagine a parent siding with their whining child.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My kids when they were in college just hated certain professors because they would call on their students even though the student did not raise their hand or express in any way an interest in participating in class discussion. Here are some things the Professors did that drove the students absolutely crazy:
If you are not prepared to actively participate in your own learning, you have no business enrolling in higher education. Classroom leaning involves active engagement, and a passive approach isn't something befitting of a college-ready student.

Kids need to grow up and take responsibility for their own learning.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The prof is doing his job and the students are whiners.

^^^
this

Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

1) If the student appeared to not pay attention, the Professor would approach them and ask, "Stand up and tell the class what I have been saying for the last few minutes."

2) The Professor would approach the student and ask, "Please draw us a link between what I am saying and the reading you did in last night to prepare for the class."

3) The Professor would approach the student and ask them, "Do you agree with what I am saying, why or why not."

Usually the students who had been paying attention and had finished the required reading do Ok, but most of the students fall flat and end up looking like an idiot.

The Professor says that if the students were participating in a business meeting and senior management called on them, they would have to be informed, engaged and articulate. The students say they don't think it is fair to be called upon in class and the Professor should only engage them if the student raises his or her hand. They said that the Professor is a bully and only feeding his or her ego.

Who is right?
I certainly hope you are asking this question because you are NOT on your kids' side of this complaint and are looking for reasons why their attitude is both wrong and stupid.

It is the student's responsibility to:
  • attend class
  • read/do assignments
  • pay attention/actively participate in class
If he/she can't/won't do this, then he/she should get off his/her butt and get a job in the real world and stop wasting their parents' and their own money (and taxpayers' money if they're attending a public college or getting a state scholarship).

PS: Many bosses bully employees with regularity, so they best get used to it. Life ain't "fair".

Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Your kids need to grow up. They could start by making sure they are prepared for class.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Nothing to add here. I think we have 100% agreement that little Suzie and Johnny better buck up and grow up. Sounds like a pretty good Professor who's making an effort to weed out the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities