Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

University is close by, offer greatly reduced tuition rates for senior citizens and I am wondering what it might be like compared to out here. That doesn't make sense because I don't need reduced rates but a 20 year old probably would. Go figure.

No reason I need it but I would like to have it.

High school was 45 years ago and while I took Algebra I, II, Geometry and Trig it's been a long time since I used it for other than what I specifically need to do my job.

I suppose I would have to take some classes not closely allied to the field such as English? I used to enjoy reading and still do to a point except I need reading glasses that I hate wearing.

SAT ACT? I took one way back but don't remember what one or the score.

In some areas I think I would be exceptionally strong with solid knowledge of building codes, standards, water distribution systems, pumping systems and more than passing knowledge of handing rain water run-off and the like.

Roads and soils I know enough to be dangerous but I suppose that is why you go to school, right?

To give an idea of what I am used to doing I made a tutorial on basic water flow through pipes. I can do grids using Hardy-Cross but I admit it is very tough for me to do, takes a while and sometimes my work doesn't look all that eloquent but I can get there. One, two or three loops is easy but if you get 8 or so lots of iterations is an understatement.

I think math would be my toughest area. No problem hiring tutors.

So what do you think someone my age would be looking at? What do you suppose would be easy and what would be hard?

I guess the next thing to do would be to talk to a career guidance councilor.

Can't explain why but I was thinking over the weekend it would be a neat thing to accomplish before I leave the world 30 years from now.

Hair brained? Bored old man looking for something to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
I don't really know the requirements for civil engineering - but it sounds like if you already have a good brain for math/science, I would think you would eventually be able to pick it up...

I'm assuming that BSCE is Bachelor's Science Civil Engineering? Correct me if I'm wrong - please.

A lot of schools have free/reduced tuition for seniors because A) not that many take advantage of it and B) a lot of low income seniors appreciate taking classes here and there -- an art appreciation course, a history of western civ course - etc..

I don't know how many start on new degrees past the age of 60, and while I'm sure you're not the only (I'm positive of that!!) - I'm also sure its a relatively small number.

So - as you guessed - guidance counselor will be the way to go.

By the way - the ACT / SAT (granted this was 18 years ago) - were not that hard. Hardly require any higer level math at all. You'll certainly have to get into the groove of standardized test taking - but if you've common sense (and you sound like you do) - you can get the practice booklets and go through them and then see where you might want to brush up some skills before taking the exam.

Great that you're going back to school... knowledge for the sake of knowledge is never a bad thing.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I'm assuming that BSCE is Bachelor's Science Civil Engineering? Correct me if I'm wrong - please.
Yes.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,863 times
It is always said that that you need to like math if you want to go into engineering. And this is an understatement. The first 2 years of the Civil Engineering program are 90% math intensive classes - There are really very few classes not engineering related in a CE program (You'll need english compositon and a few humanities and social science electives). CE requires 2 full years of calculus and many students upon entry do not test into Calculus (which is the expected starting point for Freshmen engineering students), so any prepatory mathematics coursework to get into calculus classes will need to be taken (and won't count towards your degree). You'll also be required to take a full year of calculus based physics, engineering mechanics of materials, statics, dynamics, and statisitcs during your first two years.

You won't really see an actual Civil Engineering course until your junior year. And even Civil Engieering courses are nothing more than applied mathematics courses.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
I think this is a great idea; remember.......if you don't use it, you lose it! (Gerontology 101)
When I was in University we had a number of "retired" that commenced college classes because they never had the chance; and you'll never know who you may influence.

go for it.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
What else do you have to do? Sounds like it would be a great experience!!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
It is always said that that you need to like math if you want to go into engineering. And this is an understatement. The first 2 years of the Civil Engineering program are 90% math intensive classes - There are really very few classes not engineering related in a CE program (You'll need english compositon and a few humanities and social science electives). CE requires 2 full years of calculus and many students upon entry do not test into Calculus (which is the expected starting point for Freshmen engineering students), so any prepatory mathematics coursework to get into calculus classes will need to be taken (and won't count towards your degree). You'll also be required to take a full year of calculus based physics, engineering mechanics of materials, statics, dynamics, and statisitcs during your first two years.

You won't really see an actual Civil Engineering course until your junior year. And even Civil Engieering courses are nothing more than applied mathematics courses.
Thank you for the response. I enjoy math enough where I spend time at math.com and read old textbooks.

I recognize it won't be easy it's been 45 years since I finished high school Algebra II and I remember very little of it.

But I always enjoyed challenges and this sounds like a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What else do you have to do? Sounds like it would be a great experience!!
I hope to work to at least 80 so I do work but have one of the most flexible schedules on earth and most of the time I could cut back to a 24 hour week. Weekends it would be either homework or yard work and I hate yard work.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
My Grandpa went back to school at the same age. He started going part-time then switched to full time. He got his degree at age 68 and continued to take classes until he was 85 years old. In the summers he traveled with the elderhostl program through his college and traveled all over the world. It was a great way for him to spend his retirement years and he met a lot of interesting people along the way.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Thank you for the response. I enjoy math enough where I spend time at math.com and read old textbooks.

I recognize it won't be easy it's been 45 years since I finished high school Algebra II and I remember very little of it.

But I always enjoyed challenges and this sounds like a good one.

I hope to work to at least 80 so I do work but have one of the most flexible schedules on earth and most of the time I could cut back to a 24 hour week. Weekends it would be either homework or yard work and I hate yard work.
When I went back, I had taken Algebra in college 30 years before and got an A. When I wanted to take a Statistics class, Algebra was a prerequisite - but since my Algebra class was so long ago the university said I would have to retake Algebra before taking Statistics, and they recommended taking the remedial math class first, then Algebra, then Statistics, since it had been so long. They were right. I tried starting out in Algebra and I was lost. Math's never been a strength for me (in fact, I didn't remember getting an A in Algebra and wondered how I'd managed that!). Since you enjoy math, you probably won't have as much trouble as I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities