Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times

Advertisements

Is there any change of view or something different you learned by perusing a degree?

I see courses like calculus III, linear algebra, and one algorithm classes in some universities. Do you feel its worth attending or its something that can be taught by yourself?

I am deciding if im going to pursue further than where i'm at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Are you asking whether there is a point in pursuing a degree in Software engineering? If so, probably not, once you have a good understanding of mathematics and computer science becoming a good software engineer is a matter of focus, reading and experience.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Is there any change of view or something different you learned by perusing a degree?

I see courses like calculus III, linear algebra, and one algorithm classes in some universities. Do you feel its worth attending or its something that can be taught by yourself?

I am deciding if im going to pursue further than where i'm at.
A Computer Science or Engineering degree or education doesn't make one a software engineer. Yes, the skills can be learned outside of the classroom. However, having a B.Sc. with the right major, is the minimum educational requirement to get hired as one at many potential employers.

A good software engineering program should teach the fundamentals, and not
just the latest/most popular technologies.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Are you asking whether there is a point in pursuing a degree in Software engineering? If so, probably not, once you have a good understanding of mathematics and computer science becoming a good software engineer is a matter of focus, reading and experience.
Sorry for the confusion, but yes, you understood what I was trying to say. I wanted to see if anyone felt they were "enlightened" by going to a university. This is good to hear. Thank you user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
A good software engineering program should teach the fundamentals, and not just the latest/most popular technologies.
You should tell all universities and community colleges that

The other programmers I know advise I start with basic and/or pascal to really understand the fundamentals of whats going on. I see their reasoning behind it, but if the book is good enough, I don't feel I need to start from the beginning of time. The C book im going through right now is cake. Though some programs that use macros use basic, so go fig.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but yes, you understood what I was trying to say. I wanted to see if anyone felt they were "enlightened" by going to a university. This is good to hear. Thank you user

You should tell all the universities that
What degree are you going for? There aren't many schools that offer much of anything in software engineering. Most schools tend to focus on computer science.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What degree are you going for? There aren't many schools that offer much of anything in software engineering. Most schools tend to focus on computer science.
I am not going for any degree at this time. I am more curious of the 'learning' aspect of a university more then anything. The university here in Phoenix offers software engineering and even on their embedded software degree it has the same layout as the software engineer. The computer science degree at this college is very .... basic and does not offer guidance like the other specialties.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
I am not going for any degree at this time. I am more curious of the 'learning' aspect of a university more then anything. The university here in Phoenix offers software engineering and even on their embedded software degree it has the same layout as the software engineer. The computer science degree at this college is very .... basic and does not offer guidance like the other specialties.
I have taken some software engineering courses at NYU. I think they were extremely useful classes.

Personally, I think a good software engineering course is definately worth it and cannot be self-taught with books.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,773 times
Quote:
You should tell all universities and community colleges that
I do, by not hiring their graduates. But there too many schools churning out graduates with "IT", "Computer" degrees. It's also better to stick with one of the standard programs like Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering for 4 yr B.Sc. It's fine to have software specialization with in those degrees..but any other degrees is a bit iffy. The major software companies don't even consider associate degree applicants (for software engineer/developers). Students need to do their own research when selecting their schools & programs.

Quote:
The other programmers I know advise I start with basic and/or pascal to really understand the fundamentals of whats going on.
There are software engineers and there are programmers. Which do you want to be?
Basic & Pascal are just programming languages, tools to implement a software design. They were consider antiquated when I went to school...that was awhile ago.
They are okay as intro to programming....that's about it.

Software Engineering is about software design, development, project management. It's not something one learn from books, it's usually gain through experience.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
The major software companies don't even consider associate degree applicants (for software engineer/developers). Students need to do their own research when selecting their schools & programs.

There are software engineers and there are programmers. Which do you want to be?

Software Engineering is about software design, development, project management. It's not something one learn from books, it's usually gain through experience.
I wouldn't accept associate degree's either. It's too basic, at least I think. A good starting point as far as maybe internship or starting contact with companies, after being accepted into a university. I would imagine a software engineer is master of both worlds. Am I wrong?

development and project management, you are right. it is done through experience. But this follows most things in IT. The major IT certifications out there are a good example of this.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
The programming aspect is easy to learn. However, it may be more difficult to learn how to take a concept and create the program to execute it. You would need a signals/physics/electrical engineering background if you wanted to design a cell phone (even though, these days its more about packing in features and less about improving call quality).

Of course, you could learn those things in a book also. I'm not sure how many self-taught engineers are out there. I do know that in my experience, without an applicable degree, a person will NOT be doing engineering work. Two examples I can of immediately are one guy who has an associate engineering degree and has always been a "technician." He may get to do some design work on the rare occasion, but he is a tech and is paid as such. Another guy has a computer science degree and is never at the table when it comes time to discuss the finer technical points of designing a system. He is always in the background waiting to be told "Ok, make this module."

The degree is worth something to your employer (at the very least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities