Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 AM

473 posts, read 1,200,101 times

Advertisements

My son is a Junior, A student with 4.0 GPA in Texas with SAT/ PSAT scores likely to be in top 1% in the nation with extra curricular activities in Orchestra. He is interested in the Top Ivy Universities. I cannot afford the high fees and do not want him to pass out with high loans either. Recently we were approached by a college preparation/planning agency and attended their session. They claim to have strategies to work on the FAFSA/ EFC and help select the best fit college that offers maximum tuition fees.

Does anyone have any experience working with such agencies? Is it worth paying $$ for the work they do? They charge as good as any SAT preparation classes package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Do NOT sign up for those companies. They are scams to get your money.

Top grades and top test scores are important. If he wants to go to an Ivy though, he needs more activities then just Orchestra. He needs to sign up now for a couple other things and continue them next year. If he can join one sport, maybe track, for example and get some good, solid volunteer work under his belt, that will increase his chances.

If he does get into an Ivy, they have income based tuition so if your AGI is under $60K (or 75K for some) you pay nothing. If your AGI is $180K or less, you pay 10% of your income. All loans are converted to grants so kids graduate debt free....but you have to get in.

Until you KNOW what his test scores are, it's hard to assume he is going to be in the top 1%. Has he taken the SAT/ACT yet? In our district they have sophomores take those tests to get an idea of where they are sitting. It's helpful. They also had the sophomores take the PSAT last year for practice.

We had a student from our school get accepted to 5 Ivy's and a couple other highly selective colleges around the nation (he is attending Harvard). He had a 3.8 and a 29 ACT but he was also a 3 sport athlete, active in band and choir, active at church and other volunteer work around the area and around the world. He is an amazing kid that is very poised, very well spoken and just an all around great kid. This is how he got into all of these schools, not so much his grades and test scores (which are still good).

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
My son is a Junior, A student with 4.0 GPA in Texas with SAT/ PSAT scores likely to be in top 1% in the nation with extra curricular activities in Orchestra. He is interested in the Top Ivy Universities. I cannot afford the high fees and do not want him to pass out with high loans either. Recently we were approached by a college preparation/planning agency and attended their session. They claim to have strategies to work on the FAFSA/ EFC and help select the best fit college that offers maximum tuition fees.

Does anyone have any experience working with such agencies? Is it worth paying $$ for the work they do? They charge as good as any SAT preparation classes package.
I would not sign up for a planning agency if I were you since I hear most of these are scams. You can probably find many books on how to get into an ivy league school on Amazon. Like this one:
Amazon.com: A Is for Admission: The Insider's Guide to Getting into the Ivy League and Other Top Colleges (9780446540674): Michele A. Hernández: Books

Ivy leagues for your undergrad are probably the better choice if you want to major in a low demand field (english, math...etc), or if you want to go into investment banking or become an analyst on Wall Street. Other then that-- I can see no reason to attend them over attending UT-Austin.

If he is doing engineering, computer science, or a technology related field-- he would be well advised to go to UT over an Ivy League school because UT offers a an excellent education in these areas at better prices. UT is heavily recruited by all of the top companies in these fields of study.

UT's network of Alumni is about 20x the size of an Ivy League schools and this will definitely give him an advantage if he plans to stay in Texas or the south.

^^ I'm not trying to bash the Ivy Leagues in this post, but I've never understood why a top student in Texas would pass up UT Austin... Although, I have heard it is almost impossible to get a "full ride" to UT. If he can get a "full ride" or most of his tuition paid for by scholarships to an Ivy League, then that would probably be a good option.

Good luck!

Some Rankings:

http://www.uscollegeranking.org/engi...st-degree.html
http://www.usnewsuniversitydirectory...r-science.aspx

Last edited by h152cc2; 11-29-2011 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
For the most part if you are interested in the college search process, all of the information about finding the right college for your student is available for free. Our local library has most of the books that are listed in the sticky at the top of this page and there are numerous websites (also listed at the top sticky) that will help you find the perfect match. I would not recommend paying for this service unless you have zero interest or time and you have money that you don't need.

Filling out the FAFSA is not rocket science - it's just tedious math and there are complete and through instructions on the FAFSA site. As to strategies to maximize your FAFSA, the amount you save would probably be the same amount you would spend for someone to show you how to move your money! Here's some help with that Financial Aid - Paying for College - College Confidential

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Most high school guidance offices offer assistance in college searching, filling out the financial aid forms, etc. for free. If your high school doesn't, find one near you that has evening seminars for these things and attend one of those. Our high school has them in conjunction with parent/teacher conferences and offer grade appropriate information for each grade (9-12).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities