Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

I see students so often pick college majors and careers based upon what they love.

I Did What I Loved and Nearly Destroyed Myself

Quote:
The sad, sad truth of it is that there is no money at the end of it, and I ended up very much in debt and almost bankrupt. There's a bunch of Joseph Campbell crap floating around that goes, "Follow your bliss." So many people have followed it blindly to their doom. But you know what? "Follow your bliss," sells books because it makes people feel better.

snip

“I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system, the universe is indifferent.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I know many many people who studied what they loved.
They are all doing well, and none are anywhere near bankrupt.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Yeah - one person's bad experience is not applicable to everyone.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 AM

329 posts, read 1,047,530 times
the internet is a fabulous place for generalizing.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
I would submit that what the writer actually loves is money and what it buys-- not philosophy-- by the import he places on it in his article. Perhaps if he had been clearer about his true passion, and found a way to bring it about, he wouldn't have been "nearly ruined".
"Do what you love" doesn't always mean "make what you love your job". Sometimes it means "find a job that provides enough money and free time to do what you love after work". Ironically, IT jobs may have done that for him despite not directly being his first best thing themselves.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:26 AM

8 posts, read 11,996 times
I totally agree with this line.It really takes guts for a person to stop himself from doing something that he really wants to do.Its not easy for everyone! Those who master in this can really handle any situation.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer10 View Post
I totally agree with this line.It really takes guts for a person to stop himself from doing something that he really wants to do.Its not easy for everyone! Those who master in this can really handle any situation.
Just for clarification...with which line are you agreeing? Sometimes it helps to quote.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I would submit that what the writer actually loves is money and what it buys-- not philosophy-- by the import he places on it in his article. Perhaps if he had been clearer about his true passion, and found a way to bring it about, he wouldn't have been "nearly ruined".
"Do what you love" doesn't always mean "make what you love your job". Sometimes it means "find a job that provides enough money and free time to do what you love after work". Ironically, IT jobs may have done that for him despite not directly being his first best thing themselves.
I agree.

Loving something does not have to mean doing it as a job. It means making time for it in your life. If you love philosophy then make time for it in your life. It doesn't have to mean that you can't have a more practical job like being a computer programmer. Your job is not you.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It's really going to come down to the individual to determine whether it's better for him or her to pursue something he/she loves as a vocation, or to choose work that isn't necessarily something he or she is all that interested in, but that allows for time and funds to pursue the things he or she does love during free time. If your job that you don't really like doesn't afford you the time or the money to pursue the things you do like, then you chose poorly. If you haven't found a way to make ends meet doing what you enjoy, you chose poorly.

Either way, you need to know yourself and make smart choices for yourself. Whining and crying in hindsight never did much for anybody.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:27 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's really going to come down to the individual to determine whether it's better for him or her to pursue something he/she loves as a vocation, or to choose work that isn't necessarily something he or she is all that interested in, but that allows for time and funds to pursue the things he or she does love during free time. If your job that you don't really like doesn't afford you the time or the money to pursue the things you do like, then you chose poorly. If you haven't found a way to make ends meet doing what you enjoy, you chose poorly.

Either way, you need to know yourself and make smart choices for yourself. Whining and crying in hindsight never did much for anybody.
I suck it up because it was my choice, but DAMN, I wish I could make enough to live comfortably as a teacher. Not extravagantly, but just enough to be able to go on a vacation during some of that time off that we get. I resent that I have to trade decent compensation for being able to do a job that I love. I could have taken the same money that I spent for my degree and gotten a job that would have me making six figures by now. Instead, after 25 years I still make less than half that, and we've lost ground the last two years due to cuts in the contract period.

At least I don't mind too much doing without. The ends barely meet, but we're not destitute. It's been harder on our kids who have always had less than their friends because their parents don't make a ton of money.

I'm of two minds on the issue of doing what you love. I'm relatively happy. But for a lot of people, it would transform their passion into something they hated due to the obligation. For them, it makes more sense to get a high-paying job that would allow them to exercise their passion.

Come to think of it, that's what I should have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities