Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Some are, but just as many new jobs open up stateside.

Bottom line is outsourcing hasn't proven to be anywhere near the threat it is called out to be by many, there are still plenty of jobs and good money to be made.
Not my field but, seems like the H1B issue is more concerning than outsourcing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
To say the Calc series is baby math is very outlandish. Calculus is not baby math. It's a very rigorous subject. It's bearable and doesn't make the world end, but it's a tough subject nonetheless.

By the way, the math courses required for CS and engineering are enough to declare a math minor at some universities.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sure they are, with the caveat that I'm talking about legitimate BS programs and not BS programs at low quality institutions that merely masquerade as BS programs. Though, the discrete math requirement is fairly unique to computer science and electrical engineering.

Regardless, the mathematics requirements in computer science departments is rather basic, its baby math. Its hard to understand how such rudimentary mathematics would make computer science programs "tough"....
Ok "education a lot" what is your profession? Internet genius or something

Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM

14 posts, read 43,655 times
From most of the posts I have read it seems to me that almost everyone is suggesting that the math in a computer science program is what makes it tough. Aren't the computer science course also tough and I think there are a couple of natural science courses in the program also. What about all those?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 43,655 times
In addition as tough as the program sounds to be here I still hear a about a lot of people who come out with high g.p.a's in it (3.6 and above). I felt it was a quite easy program because of this fact but I guess its not as easy as it seems. I really think the opinion is divided

Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM

286 posts, read 699,662 times
In terms of difficulty, it's pretty much like any other engineering degree. Math and physics will be used as weed-out courses. Engineering calculus, while not the most advanced math at the undergrad level, is still demanding. If someone can sleep through the entire calc sequence, then they should be smart enough to test out of it altogether. Funny how they rarely do.

Unless the school is bottom of the barrel (not in the top 100) then you can get a good undergrad education pretty much anywhere. If you look at class makeup at top 10 engineering grad schools, most students are coming from random public undergrad programs anyway. Granted, most of them probably went the extra mile as undergrad and took honors courses or did outside research. The curriculum and quality of undergrad engineering/compsci programs is roughly the same across the board.

Once beyond the freshman year classes, getting an engineering degree is largely a reflection of time management and maturity.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

286 posts, read 699,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamey View Post
In addition as tough as the program sounds to be here I still hear a about a lot of people who come out with high g.p.a's in it (3.6 and above). I felt it was a quite easy program because of this fact but I guess its not as easy as it seems. I really think the opinion is divided
That's because the kids getting 3.3 and below don't talk about their grades. There's also a tendency for nerd-types to focus on things like GPA/SAT scores /academic honors, which are mostly irrelevant in the working world.

Never ceases to amaze me that you will see job candidates with a 3.8 GPA, with minimal summer work experience. Meanwhile, you see a kid with 3.4 with tangible work experience. Take a wild guess who will get the job offer.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
To say the Calc series is baby math is very outlandish. Calculus is not baby math. It's a very rigorous subject.
Why is it outlandish? Calculus is very rudimentary mathematics and its the bottom of the barrel in terms of university math courses, the only exception would be community colleges and similar low quality institutions that let people take high-school level mathematics courses to "catch up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
By the way, the math courses required for CS and engineering are enough to declare a math minor at some universities.
Really where? What university awards a mathematics minor for just taking introductory mathematics courses? Now that would be outlandish....

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Ok "education a lot" what is your profession? Internet genius or something
My profession? I McDonald's cashier by day, internet genius by night.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamey View Post
From most of the posts I have read it seems to me that almost everyone is suggesting that the math in a computer science program is what makes it tough.
Which should be correctly understood as statements regarding their low amplitude in mathematics, the real question here is your particular amplitude for the subject. Asking others how tough they find computer science isn't going to tell you how tough it is for you. You are an individual, you have particular talents and weakness, the question is whether your particular intellectual make-up is a good fit for computer science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities