Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times

Advertisements

I am registering for classes in a few days and realizing that because of my work schedule I might have to take some harder classes on line. That is fine with me but I know what people is going to say.
I did Biology on line before and was told by my adviser not to do it because it would be too hard. I got an A. Last year I did college Algebra on line, again I was strongly advised against it from just about everybody. I got an A. Same story with Psychology. I got an A in that also. However, of the classes I did on campus I received 2 B's.
It is not any easier to do your classes on line. It is hard work but because you do not have a teacher you have to teach yourselves and you cannot afford to procrastinate. I sat there in-front of my computer and my books until I understood. Math was tough but with all this online and free tutoring available, you-tube, khan-academy, purple math...you can do it on your own.
The community college I go to offer most of their classes online, including A&P. If I cannot get into an A&P class on my day off from work, I will be forced to take it online. Have you or anybody you know done this on line and what did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,946,160 times
I have taken a number of on-line classes to keep certification in PA. My undergrad. degree and Masters were specialized, and once you have those degrees, you've exhausted any more "subject matter" classes and are left to take general education, administration or educational leadership at the graduate level. That being said, I found that the on-line classes were more tailored to my student clientele and classroom needs (special populations, engaging the unengaged learner, dealing with parents, adaptations for inclusioned students, teaching the gifted, learning styles).

I too found that the on-line classes were much more difficult and took me longer than seat time in a grad. class at a major university. I believe that the fact that you are working while finishing your degree proves that you are a serious student. It sounds as though you are disciplined and have figured out the resources for assistance. Is there someone available for you to go to (audit a class or sit in on one, or a professor/teacher having office hours) if necessary? From what you've explained, I think you know yourself best and should continue with your plan of getting those classes you can on your day off and taking the rest on line. Good luck to you~

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
I have taken a number of on-line classes to keep certification in PA. My undergrad. degree and Masters were specialized, and once you have those degrees, you've exhausted any more "subject matter" classes and are left to take general education, administration or educational leadership at the graduate level. That being said, I found that the on-line classes were more tailored to my student clientele and classroom needs (special populations, engaging the unengaged learner, dealing with parents, adaptations for inclusioned students, teaching the gifted, learning styles).

I too found that the on-line classes were much more difficult and took me longer than seat time in a grad. class at a major university. I believe that the fact that you are working while finishing your degree proves that you are a serious student. It sounds as though you are disciplined and have figured out the resources for assistance. Is there someone available for you to go to (audit a class or sit in on one, or a professor/teacher having office hours) if necessary? From what you've explained, I think you know yourself best and should continue with your plan of getting those classes you can on your day off and taking the rest on line. Good luck to you~
Thanks

Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 AM

682 posts, read 2,423,850 times
I didn't take the whole class online, but my instructor used a lot of online resources, and we completed several quizzes and tests through the school's online program (blackboard). I actually think A&P is particularly well suited for an online class because so much of what you're doing is straightforward memorization, which you have to do outside of class anyway. There are many websites online with pictures, tests, etc., and all kinds of flash cards available.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
I took anatomy in classroom and this fall I am taking physiology online. I think it will be fine. I have found that taking classes online is more difficult because I'd rather listen to a lecture and take notes than have to read everything in depth. But when you take into consideration the time it would take me to drive, park, get to class and then do the reverse after class, that's a lot of time that could be spent reading/studying. I figure if I set a study schedule for myself and stick to it I'll be fine. I took accounting and technical writing online and did fine with those too. I think you've proven that you are well suited for online courses and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM

86 posts, read 155,528 times
Do you have to attend a lab section of A&P? Does yours require you to dissect a cat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities