Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 23,395,174 times

Advertisements

If something bad happens and you need to fall back on a degree, wouldn't it be in your best interest not to have a crappy degree? The quickest degree path is generally something like a General Studies degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 02:19 PM

22,723 posts, read 47,958,354 times
Why not focus on actually learning something that would advance your career instead?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM

88,886 posts, read 85,398,091 times
Although I do see the OP's point--he's doing the same job as the people with the degrees, so obviously they didn't garner any special knowledge or gain any great advantage by going to college--I also think that if you are going to get a degree, you should just do it right. No need to rush. Just start taking night/weekend classes, and do CLEP or life-credit or whatever else the college offers if you want to move it along a bit. If it does come up that you don't have a degree, you can point to the fact that you are working on that. Having the degree may serve you well later in life, as you may end up in a job where they do want that piece of paper or it is a requirement for a position that you seek.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:12 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,391,070 times
Just take a class or two at a time, then you can at least say that you are in the process of earning the degree. Just in case you are called out - I would not mention the lack of degree to anyone. but I would actually DO THIS and not try and fake it. in this day and age you will NOT GET a job of any decency at a large corporation w/o a bachelors. Go to a mortar and bricks college, the closest around to you that is cheap.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,217,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Where did he say "Not earn it"

(Although I think that's a LAUGH considering what 'earning a degree' entails!)

Are you trying to tall me that because I CLEPED out of Civics and American history that I didn't 'Earn" those classes?
Umm, lets see...He is looking for the "quickest" way to get a "rinky-dink degree" and is looking for a "any diploma mills or pretty fast online schools".

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but I doubt it.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,466,339 times
You can get an online degree from many non-online degree programs. I went to Penn State and I know that my program offered an online program for those individuals that could not attend actual classes. The degree read Penn State just as mine does!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,151,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Umm, lets see...He is looking for the "quickest" way to get a "rinky-dink degree" and is looking for a "any diploma mills or pretty fast online schools".

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but I doubt it.
I guess you did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname
Where did he say "Not earn it"

(Although I think that's a LAUGH considering what 'earning a degree' entails!)

Are you trying to tall me that because I CLEPED out of Civics and American history that I didn't 'Earn" those classes?
So he wants an easy one... he'll still buy the same piece of paper we all are/have.

It'll just have a different name and stamp.

If it's a certified school it's a certified school.

Or are you gonna recommend he go to Haaarvard...

Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,488,018 times
Quote:
So he wants an easy one... he'll still buy the same piece of paper we all are/have.

It'll just have a different name and stamp.

If it's a certified school it's a certified school.
And it will be worth less than the toilet paper he wipes his a$$ with...

To earn something of value typically requires real effort. There is a very good reason why it isn't easy.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,151,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And it will be worth less than the toilet paper he wipes his a$$ with...
AS THE OP STATED:
Many jobs merely require "A degree"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
To earn something of value typically requires real effort. There is a very good reason why it isn't easy.
We disagree. (Unless you consider that these pieces of paper arn't worth much/anything... THAT I might agree with!)

Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,488,018 times
Quote:
We disagree. (Unless you consider that these pieces of paper arn't worth much/anything... THAT I might agree with!)
Go ahead and disagree, but the proof is likely to end up in your paycheck (or relative lack thereof). If you get a job through a degree that required virtually no intelligence on your part to "earn", just how much do you think they will pay you? You set crappy standards for yourself...you tend to get crappy results, unless you're one of the few cosmic exceptions like the Kardashians. That's the way the world works.

Last edited by ambient; 09-06-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities