Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,019 times

Advertisements

For Student Borrowers, a Hard Truth - SmartMoney.com (http://www.smartmoney.com/borrow/student-loans/for-student-borrowers-a-hard-truth-1316118955339/?mg=com-sec-sm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
There's nothing hidden/surprising in that article, except for maybe the impact of for-profit schools.

The rest is straight forward before you sign. The title makes it sound like it's something revealing.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I agree...everything in there is extremely clear when you sign the loan documents. My alma mater even required everyone on financial aid to attend seminars spelling this out explicitly for those who for whatever reason signed loan documents without bothering to read any of this. But it's not news, that's for sure.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM

723 posts, read 2,194,018 times
Honestly I can't believe people don't understand that student loans aren't discharged except in very very very small number of cases meaning virtually no chance . I heard that in freshman year and it was drilled in my head until I was a senior.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:23 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
I think people understand but don't want to understand, and who can blame them for not wanting to understand? There is something fundamentally wrong with a society in which you have to shell out tens of thousands of dollars (plus interest that goes to private lenders) just to keep yourself competitive in the job market.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think people understand but don't want to understand, and who can blame them for not wanting to understand? There is something fundamentally wrong with a society in which you have to shell out tens of thousands of dollars (plus interest that goes to private lenders) just to keep yourself competitive in the job market.
I disagree.

The problem isn't the process. The problem is that we have institutions out there that provide no competitive edge and accept mediocre students.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know...I neither shelled out tens of thousands of dollars for my degree, nor do I find myself less than competitive in the job market.

However, I don't think that any of that has anything to do with choosing to ignore the reality that you have to pay back student loans if you take them out.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know...I neither shelled out tens of thousands of dollars for my degree, nor do I find myself less than competitive in the job market.
When did you go to school? Tuition costs have risen at four times the rate of salaries over the past 25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
However, I don't think that any of that has anything to do with choosing to ignore the reality that you have to pay back student loans if you take them out.
Yes, people have to pay them back, but that wasn't my point. I don't think people go into school wanting to be loan deadbeats. I think they end up resenting education once they're in over their head because of loan payment systems they don't quite understand. It shouldn't have to be this complicated. There's an interest that society as a whole has in seeing people a) be educated and b) being educated without being in debt for 25 years after graduation.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
When did you go to school? Tuition costs have risen at four times the rate of salaries over the past 25 years.
A small regional private liberal arts college that lists its current tuition at $33,000/year (when I attended in the late 1990s, tuition was more in the neighborhood of $25,000/year.

I was on the hook for less than a quarter of that. The vast majority of it was paid for free and clear by scholarships and grants I earned. Tuition costs have obviously risen a lot, and many places weren't low to begin with...which makes shopping around for where you can get the best deal all the more important (and makes doing everything you can to be eligible for getting as much of it paid for as possible crucial).

Quote:
Yes, people have to pay them back, but that wasn't my point. I don't think people go into school wanting to be loan deadbeats. I think they end up resenting education once they're in over their head because of loan payment systems they don't quite understand. It shouldn't have to be this complicated. There's an interest that society as a whole has in seeing people a) be educated and b) being educated without being in debt for 25 years after graduation.
Most people in debt don't want to be deadbeats...that's why there are deferment options that can help in the case of economic hardship (up to a point...you can't just defer your loans forever, and you can't have already defaulted when you request deferral). Maybe I just had a relatively simple experience going through the U.S. Department of Ed for my loan, but I found the repayment process to be pretty straightforward and really not complicated at all. I could be wrong...maybe it's structured in a more complicated manner for others who went different routes for their loans.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree.

The problem isn't the process. The problem is that we have institutions out there that provide no competitive edge and accept mediocre students.
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities