Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,989,241 times

Advertisements

I want to go back to school, but I think it would be for the wrong reason. I want to narrow my job prospects and make more money. I currently have a BS in Finance and do not have a job in my industry yet. I was considering back to school because I want to FINALLY land a job and make more money than i've been earning in the temporary jobs i've held. My main goal isn't going to gain more education because I want to learn. I mean, obviously I do, but that isn't the main reason.

Is this a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,247,510 times
Only if you choose wisely. The best idea would be to KNOW what field / degree would get you a well paid position.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,685 times
If you want a job in finance there are other things you can do besides going back to school. I volunteered my time for 3 years to get the necessary experience (not in finance though). Certifications help also.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,463,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I want to go back to school, but I think it would be for the wrong reason. I want to narrow my job prospects and make more money. I currently have a BS in Finance and do not have a job in my industry yet. I was considering back to school because I want to FINALLY land a job and make more money than i've been earning in the temporary jobs i've held. My main goal isn't going to gain more education because I want to learn. I mean, obviously I do, but that isn't the main reason.

Is this a good idea?
Sure - so long as you develop a game plan that is good and that you personally want. No point in going back to school to get into something you hate...but no point in spending all that money to get what you could have gotten from the library as well (unless you have cash and time to burn).

Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,133,767 times
Almost everyone goes to, or back to school for the money.

Otherwise, they couldn't keep jacking up the rates!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM

44 posts, read 116,247 times
I truly enjoy learning, and am continually reading something of "value" that will help me further my skill set, broaden my horizons, etc. That will never stop, as that is just who I am.

That being said, I don't think many people go through the rigors of a college education JUST for the learning part. They do it to learn, and find an occupation they enjoy so they can support ($$$) themselves and their families.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,527,818 times
Going back to school to earn more money in my opinion is the wrong reason to go back to school, because nobody is going to assure you that you will, but hey, I think that is the reason the majority of people go back to school. My only suggestion, do not go for an MBA. Go for something more technical, operations management, industrial engineering (many schools offered Industrial Engineering graduate degrees for non engineers) or supply change management.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:39 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,110,888 times
Honestly, part of it is money, but the other part is networking and also wanting to get myself a little more socially active.
I've spent way too much time blowing off college and trying to be some moronic version of Clint Eastwoods "Drifter" character.

After taking a few days to explore the fine campus that is UNM, I've figured it's high time I grow up and knock this off.
I'm not getting any younger and the tinkering they do in the electrical engineering department is quite awesome.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,599,432 times
Most of "education" out there is extremely specialized (and abstract) to the point. The proper name for the bulk of modern mass education (reflecting its true nature and purpose) is "professional training". Only well moneyed elites can afford classic education in the full sense of the words. The people going to a college to extend their horizons are out of their minds, your minds will be narrowed to a narrow field of your choice. The bad thing about specialized & abstract training is that it's "use it or lose it" deal. If you don't use it in your line of work, it's 95% waste (I'm not talking about college diplomas as a sieving tool for the entry level jobs not requiring college education). All those generic "problem solving skills" and "critical thinking" (a real career killer, btw) you could well learn without stuffing your head with useless information garbage.

It will take PERSONAL (unrelated to your college curriculum) efforts to extend your horizons and further your education.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 AM

632 posts, read 1,181,004 times
Consider getting a Master's Degree as IMO, it will give you an added boost to your resume. However, the key to landing a legit job is not what you know, its who you know so if you do go back to school, make networking your priority #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities