Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times

Advertisements

I don't think its exaggerated to say that college costs have been rising faster than inflation for decades.

Plus no jobs being created (50,000 or 100,000 a month in a country of 300 million people??). The whole thing is hideous.

Even if its only $25 or $30 k, thats still a lot of money for people who have little financial experience. Something is wrong when people have barely gotten checking accounts....then they're asked to sign up for $30 or $50 k or more in loans.

I dont think books and other fees are calculated in these "official statistics".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM

284 posts, read 499,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're pocketing all those expenses? What about scholarships, sponsorships, merit grants, and financial aid?
Finacial aid is student loans... ^_^ I didn't qualify for a lot of things because of my situation and after awhile, I just gave up trying. The school didn't have enough teaching assistantships to go around, so I'm paying for grad school too.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:58 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I'm a rare one. I graduated in 2005 with $5k in loans. I paid it off in about 2 years for a undergrad business degree. I was a commuter student and did some coursework at a local community college. Now I'm back again in school as an undergrad for an accounting certificate and chose a school out of state online because locally, I would pay double the amount I pay in tuition at the moment and I just need the accounting credits from anywhere. It's manageable to pay my classes in installments so I won't worry about student loans. I take one class at a time but my total classes are about $7,000 for ten classes.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I don't think its exaggerated to say that college costs have been rising faster than inflation for decades.

Plus no jobs being created (50,000 or 100,000 a month in a country of 300 million people??). The whole thing is hideous.

Even if its only $25 or $30 k, thats still a lot of money for people who have little financial experience. Something is wrong when people have barely gotten checking accounts....then they're asked to sign up for $30 or $50 k or more in loans.

I dont think books and other fees are calculated in these "official statistics".
Nothing is wrong with 25k in loans if you are a motivated student that went to a top school.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Taking on student loan debt was one of the stupidist things I have ever done in my life. I have in excess of $150k in debt . . . not smart. I do not know what I was thinking, but I wish I had had some counseling.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
I have $40k, I have an AA and some trade school, I have a great job.

Wife had like $55k, she has 2 degrees and a masters, great job too.

Out student loan payment is abotu $1350 a month.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
$0.

My former employer (A Fortune 500 company) paid my tuition all 4 years. I got the job right out of high school and started college within a couple months of starting work. I was a full-time empoyee and used their Tuition Assistance benefit, which paid all tuition and fees if grade was C or higher. Went to school part-time until degree was completed.

When I finished college, I had no student loan debt, and had career experience on my resume, plus was several years into my career so already was moving up the corporate ladder.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Nothing is wrong with 25k in loans if you are a motivated student that went to a top school.
The problem is, it seems like the loans get bigger for the least motivated (i.e for profit colleges).

Their student loan default rates are up to 15%.

Student-Loan Default Rate Rises - WSJ.com

Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The problem is, it seems like the loans get bigger for the least motivated (i.e for profit colleges).

Their student loan default rates are up to 15%.

Student-Loan Default Rate Rises - WSJ.com
Agree with you. Most of those places are charging people who can't get into better schools twice the price.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
I had about 20K in loans when I got my B.S. I paid off about 5K while working for a year (I should have paid a lot more) then deferred the balance while I went to graduate school. I paid off the balance about 9 months into my postdoc.

When I met my wife she had about 15K in student loan debt and a lot of credit card debt. She was not making any progress paying it of, because she was just making payments according to the schedule. It took her about three years to pay off the high interest accounts once she got serious. She still does not have it all paid off, but now it is more of a strategic thing than an issue of finances, as we are paying 2% more for our mortgage than the loans.

My best friend racked up 150K in debts for law school. Even with a nice job, he was looking at 10+ years before he could pay it off. His family paid the balance of it as a wedding gift. I guess it pays to have a wealthy family sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities