Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times

Advertisements

So there are a ton of websites popping up claiming law school is a scam, and even people graduating T14 law schools are either jobless or making pittance salaries. What do you all think?

Inside the Law School Scam

Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I think it's becoming an over-saturated field, so those 6-figure salaries aren't waiting for everyone who graduates - which I suppose used to be the case. But if you study law at a GOOD school, build your resume along the way, finish with strong grades, etc, it can still be a great career with endless potential.

I know many people who went to (or are currently attending) law school, and they all seem to be doing very well. My sister is one of those people, and she decided to take a different path after law school... she worked in city government for about 10 years, and now works as a professional sports executive. So not everyone with a JD has to be a lawyer, but the degree can still take you pretty far these days. JMO

Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
A scam means you don't get what you pay for. If you go to law school, you are paying for a legal education. Period. People who don't research the field before investing serious coin thinking they are going to get some high paying job after graduating from a ho-hum law school deserve what they get. The local Pros and PD's office start in the 36-40K range. Scam? No. Over-saturated field? Yes.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-08-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
In short, the answer is Yes. The profession of law is a scam because it is extremely hierarchical. Only those who go to a top tier school and/or are at the top 10 to 15% of their class have a realistic chance of getting a well-paying job. (And in this economy, even that is being optimistic.) Grades and school pedigree matter more than anything else, even if you have several years of work experience.

For the vast majority of people who go to law school, it is just "default" graduate school. Their education will not pay back. Law school is a lottery. You have been warned.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-08-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Well the link is from a blog; a blog dedicated to bad-mouthing law school. So that isn't really the most fair opinion that there is!

The only way that law school is a scam is if it is not accredited or recognized. Things such as cost, job prospects, and eventual success are very subjective from person to person. For example, let's say you have a rich uncle who is willing to shell out $$150K for 3 years of law school at a third tier university...just so that you can get in at the family law firm....how is that a scam? Similarly, someone who got a full ride on scholarships for law school may not mind making $40K as a PD.

So no, law school is not "a scam". Everyone is responsible for their own research and for formulating realistic job prospects given their own access to resources.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
No. Law school is not a scam. What it offers is a highly focussed education in a highly technical field.

Unfortunately, employment prospects are not as good as they once were, and there are serious questions as to whether the economic benefits of embarking on a legal career will justify the financial investment, especially at today's prices.

I've been practicing law for over thirty years and I find it extremely rewarding. I'm not rich, but I can support myself. On the other hand, I came out of law school with $2400 in law school debt, and although that monthly payment of $30.19 was sometimes a strain, I know that people graduating now are burdened with almost unimaginable debt loads.

It is definitely not a course of action to enter into lightly.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Default American Bar Association Web Site

I don't have anything to add in the way of experience in the field, but I like to read about the profession from those who are in it. I frequent http://www.abajournal.com

This kind of conversation happens all of the time over there between the site's members.

Here is a link to a discussion where they are asked to answer the following questions:

Quote:
1) How long did it take you to get a job in the legal field?
2) Did you get the position you wanted, or did you compromise?
3) How many interviews did you go on?
4) What was your salary range for that first job?
5) Would you recommend attending law school to a recent graduate?

All good questions, so this week we'd like to make this survey our question of the week. Only we'd like to add a 6th question:
6) What year did you graduate from law school?
Link to page: Law School Grads: Take This Six-Question Survey on Finding That First Job - News - ABA Journal

It's a fascinating read from those who are in or tried to get into the field, and what they are or aren't facing. I think lawyers have one of the best senses of humor of any profession. Some of them are probably going to need it.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
So there are a ton of websites popping up claiming law school is a scam, and even people graduating T14 law schools are either jobless or making pittance salaries. What do you all think?

Inside the Law School Scam
Depends on what you're paying balanced with your post-grad career prospects.

Outside of the T30 or so, 10% or fewer of most law school classes are landing big firm jobs. This may not seem so terrible, but keep in mind that legal salaries have a bimodal distribution. There are a lot of big law jobs that pay 130-160k and there are a lot of small law jobs that pay 40-60k. There are comparatively few mid law jobs that pay somewhere in between.

I personally would not pay sticker for any school outside the T14, and I wouldn't go to a T30 school unless I got at least a half scholarship or better. There are lots of people who are even more debt averse.

And MissShona, the way law schools choose to report their employment statistics, in conjunction with the fact that law schools are big moneymakers for universities (low overhead + high tuition = $$$), law schools definitely do operate in a scam-like fashion.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
The number of people who answered "no" to question #5 is very telling.

BTW, there is one area of law that doesn't operate as much like a scam: patent law. But you need an engineering or hard science background to do it.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM

402 posts, read 589,699 times
*sigh* Not again. Well for those who think it's a scam, don't go. It's that simple. It's only a scam for people who enter the profession for the wrong reasons or who try to chase the typical big firm dream. I don't even know why the big firms are always seen as the ideal. Every single lawyer I know who burned out at an early age started out at a big firm. If anything the scam Is the notion that the big firm job is the way to go. Outside of that issue, people should just stop going to schools they can't afford just for a name. Especially when it's not even guaranteed that you will have a practical understanding of how to actually practice law when you graduate from the top schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities