Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM

490 posts, read 838,164 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a bachelor's in psychology and was originally intending to go on to grad school for an MSW and get into counseling work of sorts, but have since determined that may not be the best path for me due to the burnout rate and potential emotional toll.

Looking into my personality type, I found that accounting would be a suitable career for me.

Unfortunately, I would need to heavily rely on student financial aid (grants and loans), and since I already have a 1st bachelor's degree, going back for a second would mean limited financial aid. Some schools aren't even allowing 2nd bachelor's degrees. But I thought a bachelor's in accounting would be best since I haven't taken any accounting or related courses before, and don't know if that would hinder my ability to succeed in a master's program.

If I were to take accounting courses at a community college, again, because I have a bachelor's degree already, I was told by the local CC financial aid department that I would not qualify for the student financial aid grants. Fortunately, the cost per unit is much less at a community college, and perhaps I could take on student loans to fund my way through completing the accounting courses and prereqs needed to qualify for the CPA exam.

I am hoping that current knowledgeable accounting professionals and accounting majors can provide some advice.

My questions, specifically, are as follows:

1. If my goal is to work for Big Four:
a) am I at a disadvantage schools-wise and geography-wise living in Sacramento, CA? In other words, does getting your accounting education at a big name school give you an edge of any significance vs state school vs local community college? And
are most of the firms offices and recruiting targets all located outside of Northern California? I have no issue with relocating to Southern California or out of state if the right opportunity arises.

b) would it be better to have a bachelor's in accounting as opposed to taking all the required and prereq courses at a local community college/getting an AA in accounting?

c) are there certificate programs or other programs that would be equally good options, if not better, than any mentioned in (b) above?

d) how about online programs? are they a good alternative or would I be doing myself a disservice in more ways than one by going this route?

e) For various reasons, I didn't do well in undergrad, achieving only a 2.7. This may hinder my ability to get into 2nd bachelor's or 1st master's accounting program.

f) What would be the best path to take, given this fact, to make me a competitive candidate with a strong chance of working for Big Four? Or has my 1st bacehlor's GPA and mistakes made done too much irrevocable harm to my future aspirations
already?

g) Also, math has always been a weak spot, so would I need an intermediate algebra refresher as well as take all of the math courses after that up to beginning calculus? Each course I would need to take to get up to the level I would need to be in
math would take at least 1 quarter or 1 semester. I am concerned about this possibly setting me back from a timely 2-year program completion.

h) Does increase in age lower odds of getting a job at Big Four? Say if you're in your 30's-early 40's by the time you pass the CPA exam.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by ecsdude; 11-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: correcting error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
1. If my goal is to work for Big Four:
a) am I at a disadvantage schools-wise and geography-wise living in Sacramento, CA? In other words, does getting your accounting education at a big name school give you an edge of any significance vs state school vs local community college? Andare most of the firms offices and recruiting targets all located outside of Northern California? I have no issue with relocating to Southern California or out of state if the right opportunity arises.

I'm not familiar with the California offices and the schools they target, but in my experience, the best state schools are heavily recruited. Big name schools can be helpful if they're known for their accounting program. In my market, graduates of a top 20 university vs. big state universities are on even footing. I'd start by looking at Big 4 placement rates, if that's the path you're interested in. I wouldn't recommend community college, since the Big 4 don't really recruit there at all.

b) would it be better to have a bachelor's in accounting as opposed to taking all the required and prereq courses at a local community college/getting an AA in accounting?

See above comments about community college.

c) are there certificate programs or other programs that would be equally good options, if not better, than any mentioned in (b) above?

You might be able to find a Master's program that doesn't require an accounting background. I think the most well-known program for those without an accounting degree is the Master's of Accounting program at University of North Carolina. It's geared specifically towards those with no accounting background, and it's one year...it's the only one I'm really familiar with.

d) how about online programs? are they a good alternative or would I be doing myself a disservice in more ways than one by going this route?

No good if you want to work for the Big 4.

e) For various reasons, I didn't do well in undergrad, achieving only a 2.7. This may hinder my ability to get into 2nd bachelor's or 1st master's accounting program.

f) What would be the best path to take, given this fact, to make me a competitive candidate with a strong chance of working for Big Four? Or has my 1st bacehlor's GPA and mistakes made done too much irrevocable harm to my future aspirations
already?

This could be an issue, just because Big 4 firms typically want all your academic data before interviews. Not sure if they ask specifically for your undergrad GPA in their online application you have to complete in addition to submitting a resume through the recruiting process.

g) Also, math has always been a weak spot, so would I need an intermediate algebra refresher as well as take all of the math courses after that up to beginning calculus? Each course I would need to take to get up to the level I would need to be in math would take at least 1 quarter or 1 semester. I am concerned about this possibly setting me back from a timely 2-year program completion.

Accounting doesn't require a very complex math--it's pretty much just algebra. Calculus would be unneccesary. A refresher math class could help academically. In the real world, it's far more important to be able to use technology to do all the math for you. Be very proficient in Excel.

h) Does increase in age lower odds of getting a job at Big Four? Say if you're in your 30's-early 40's by the time you pass the CPA exam.

It's hard to know--they're always pushing the diversity thing, but I've never known anyone over the age of 28 to start at my firm. I'd imagine most people in their 30s-40s aren't really interested in the brutal work schedule + possible travel, and therefore many not be applying. Or they are more likely to go the community college/online program route, which our firm does not recruit from. I think if you're in a traditional university that Big 4 firms recruit from, your shots are infinitely better.

By the way, my husband works for a regional firm, and I know they hire non-traditional students more often then we do.
The bottom line is the Big 4 rely pretty much exclusively on their relationships with universities to recruit for entry level positions (no outside job fairs, solely applying online with no university connection won't get you much of anywhere). Go to a school where many students end up with job offers with one of the Big 4, and it makes a world of difference.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
The bottom line is the Big 4 rely pretty much exclusively on their relationships with universities to recruit for entry level positions (no outside job fairs, solely applying online with no university connection won't get you much of anywhere). Go to a school where many students end up with job offers with one of the Big 4, and it makes a world of difference.
The large accounting firms fund professorships at larger accounting programs in each state. These professors are unofficially the key recruiters for the accounting firms at the school. In some cases, your relationship with that particular professor determines whether you have a chance at that firm.

Many of the hiring decisions for entry-level level positions are made long before the formal interviews. Most universities require the firms to interview anyone who qualifies for the position (and it looks good for the EEOC and other regulatory processes.) However, I had interviews with two of the firms where I was not asked a single question. It was clearly obvious that I was not one of the select. (g)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Community college - then state - SJSU has a 1 year master's program for accounting. Make sure you get an internship with a big 4 (don't worry, they actually pay!).

The Big 4 have a very large presence in the bay area. The PWC office in San Jose has over 1,200 people working there.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 PM

490 posts, read 838,164 times
Any particular courses you suggest taking at community college first, then moving to state?

Thanks for the lead on SJSU. I'm much closer to Sac State, but don't nkow if Big 4 actively recruits there. Will have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Community college - then state - SJSU has a 1 year master's program for accounting. Make sure you get an internship with a big 4 (don't worry, they actually pay!).

The Big 4 have a very large presence in the bay area. The PWC office in San Jose has over 1,200 people working there.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
Any particular courses you suggest taking at community college first, then moving to state?

Thanks for the lead on SJSU. I'm much closer to Sac State, but don't nkow if Big 4 actively recruits there. Will have to check.
Well, as I reread your post, I notice that you've already received a B.A, so I'm not sure you you'd need to go to a C.C. You should contact a counselor who can tell you what you actually have to do.

SJSU master's program should definitely be what you'd want to aim for, rather than getting a B.S.

I wouldn't be surprised if they recruit at Sac State.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
They do recruit at Sac State, also at Cal-State Stanislaus--I worked for a fairly large Big 4 in the Bay and knew people from both schools there.

I think the students who attend the top schools have more options as far as being able to work in different Big 4 offices nationwide, students who attend average schools will have to at least start out at whatever office does the recruiting at that school.

As far as a CC goes, I took my principles of accounting courses at one [the intro courses] and saved a decent amount of money. I had to take about a year's worth of prerequisites and then got full admission into a graduate program.

I found it very difficult as a 36 year-old Big 4 associate, and it really wasn't right for me, but it may be for others. It didn't help that I started my career in 2008, everything started crashing about a month after I started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities