Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times

Advertisements

I have no financial responsibilities other than myself. I'm never going to get married or have a girlfriend.

Smart or dumb ? I'm not 35 yet, but would not be ready to return to full time schooling until I'm 35.

I've never had a sociology or psychology class. I majored in math. I've been working in physical sciences, but I hate it. I took 3 anthropology classes, and I loved it. But my mantra, which had been tought to me by my parents, was always that I am a scientist and that I am to be a person who studies natural sciences, and that is what I am good at. This is what I believed because this is what I was taught. I wanted to major in anthropology, but my parents said there's nothing you can do with an anthropology degree, you need to major in science. I obeyed and chose math. After attempting a master's degree in meteorology ( a collosal failure, although I got the degree because of shameless grade inflation, and a grad committee that accepted a pathetic piece of garbage of a master's thesis just so they could get me the bleep out of there ), and in working several years as a scientist and hack job artist of a computer programmer, I have come to the conclusion that I am not a scientist, I am not good at science, I am not a mathematician, and I certainly am not a computer programmer. Computer programming is the hardest thing I've ever done, I hate it, and I am terrible at it. I can't remember syntax to save my life. I can't write a program without a reference book at my side. And my code is always sloppy, cumbersome, and disorganized. That's why I call it a hack job. If you want to do physical science these days, you need to be a computer programmer. The lie that I've lived my entire life is that I am a scientist. That is what I was tought to belive. But I have finally come to the realization that this is simply not true. I am not a scientist. The reason I hate being a scientist is that I am terrible at it.

Is it too late to go back to school with the dream of becoming a licensed clinical social worker ? Am I stuck in the boring physical sciences and computer programming realm forever ?

Psychology and sociology fascinate me. I have been the patient of a licensed clinical social worker and a psychiatrist myself. The job of social worker seemed so fascinating to me, and you'd really be helping people who are down and out as a licensed clinical social worker. I enjoy reading about mental illnesses, and reading about people's problems and trying to figure out (as a layman) what kind of help they need. You also interact with patients, wheras when you are a scientist you work in silence and collaborate only in occasional meetings with your co-workers to discuss the progress you've individually made. That drives me nuts !!!!

I also would enjoy being a minister, but at the current time, I don't believe in Christianity.

What would I need to do in the next couple of years to realistically hope to some day go to school to seek a master's in social work ? I'm sure it involves taking classes in psychology and sociology from a local college/university.

But is this dream even possible at such a late age ? Or am I stuck with the career/field I've got ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
You'd better not need much of an income. Social work oftentimes gets laughable wages considering the qualifications expected. I would investigate the job situation closely and consider whether the passion for the work is sufficient to make up for the crappy pay.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 38,344 times
I say go for it. What do you have to lose? You are already unhappy! Follow your passion and the money will follow. Even if it doesn't, wouldn't you rather be happy! Also, look into grad Anthropology programs. You can always be a Professor or be an Applied Anthropologist.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
NO! IF you want to help people there are many ways to do that without a going into $50,000 in school loan debt for a worthless degree!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Check my other posts to others who have asked about grad school for social work, jobs in social work, etc.

Most SW schools do not require undergrad prerequisites; they like when people change careers to come to social work, bringing that outside experience, good and bad, with them. Most do not even require the GRE.

If you do go, you might not want to mention that idea that social work is not science too loudly--you'll tick off a lot of people. But I'm with you in that it is a "softer" science. But there is a lot of pretty vigorous research other there that has furthered the field. Still you need to accept that most studies either support or refute a hypothesis related to one theory or another, and those in the field of the behavioral sciences all disagree as to which therory or theories is/are valid.

You will have to take at least two science-related courses in an MSW program: research methods and data analysis/statistics. But at least in my experience, these were laughably easy to anyone with any type of scientific education in the past. My undergrad psychology program was very research focused and the work I did was much more difficult than the research and stats classes in my Master's program.

If you really want to pursue the LCSW and be a therapist, you need to find a school that is more clinically-focused. Some are more "social policy" focused and others more geared toward a life in academia.

You also need to be the right kind of person to work in a clincial setting. Many people unfortunately don't learn soon enough that they should not be providing therapy. In the mean time, get a volunteer or low-level paid position in a mental health setting. Learn what you are & aren't good at, what bothers you, upsets you, or pisses you off about different people. This is all essential for anyone becoming a decent therapist.

As I said in my other posts on this topic, you will never be rich, but you'll always have a job. When the economy causes unemployment to rise in other fields, we usually see more jobs available. What you don't get in salary, you'll make up for in benefits, as non-profits often have great PTO, medical, dental, education reimbursement, and 401k benefits to make up for the lower salaries. Plus if the job is right for you, you'll actually love what you do.

It's never too late. When I was in grad school in my late 20s, I was in the middle with regard to the age range--a bunch of students were right out of college/early 20s, and a bunch were in their 30s, 40s and 50s changing careers.

I don't quite understand what you mean about being drawn to being a minister but not believing in Christianity, or about "never" having a dating partner or spouse. But the important thing is that YOU understand those things about yourself, are honest with yourself, and that you are okay with them. You really need to know yourself and accept yourself if you are going to do clinical work.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I have no financial responsibilities other than myself. I'm never going to get married or have a girlfriend.

Smart or dumb ? I'm not 35 yet, but would not be ready to return to full time schooling until I'm 35.

I've never had a sociology or psychology class. I majored in math. I've been working in physical sciences, but I hate it. I took 3 anthropology classes, and I loved it. But my mantra, which had been tought to me by my parents, was always that I am a scientist and that I am to be a person who studies natural sciences, and that is what I am good at. This is what I believed because this is what I was taught. I wanted to major in anthropology, but my parents said there's nothing you can do with an anthropology degree, you need to major in science. I obeyed and chose math. After attempting a master's degree in meteorology ( a collosal failure, although I got the degree because of shameless grade inflation, and a grad committee that accepted a pathetic piece of garbage of a master's thesis just so they could get me the bleep out of there ), and in working several years as a scientist and hack job artist of a computer programmer, I have come to the conclusion that I am not a scientist, I am not good at science, I am not a mathematician, and I certainly am not a computer programmer. Computer programming is the hardest thing I've ever done, I hate it, and I am terrible at it. I can't remember syntax to save my life. I can't write a program without a reference book at my side. And my code is always sloppy, cumbersome, and disorganized. That's why I call it a hack job. If you want to do physical science these days, you need to be a computer programmer. The lie that I've lived my entire life is that I am a scientist. That is what I was tought to belive. But I have finally come to the realization that this is simply not true. I am not a scientist. The reason I hate being a scientist is that I am terrible at it.

Is it too late to go back to school with the dream of becoming a licensed clinical social worker ? Am I stuck in the boring physical sciences and computer programming realm forever ?

Psychology and sociology fascinate me. I have been the patient of a licensed clinical social worker and a psychiatrist myself. The job of social worker seemed so fascinating to me, and you'd really be helping people who are down and out as a licensed clinical social worker. I enjoy reading about mental illnesses, and reading about people's problems and trying to figure out (as a layman) what kind of help they need. You also interact with patients, wheras when you are a scientist you work in silence and collaborate only in occasional meetings with your co-workers to discuss the progress you've individually made. That drives me nuts !!!!

I also would enjoy being a minister, but at the current time, I don't believe in Christianity.

What would I need to do in the next couple of years to realistically hope to some day go to school to seek a master's in social work ? I'm sure it involves taking classes in psychology and sociology from a local college/university.

But is this dream even possible at such a late age ? Or am I stuck with the career/field I've got ?
I enjoyed reading your post; at least, you've kept your sense of humor;

I just get a general sense that you're not meant for the world of science, and I understand completely. Now as far as getting an MSW ( which is what you'll need), as long as you can afford the expenses, I wouldn't discourage you. You're certainly not old when you're in your early 30s. I would just point out that an MSW is no guarantee of a high salary, but I think that you're aware of this. But, unlike, history/sociology, psychology, etc, there will always be some demand for MSW types---just don't expect big money to follow...

Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM

249 posts, read 332,486 times
Default yes, you can

You may be able to get the MSW part time while still working and take out less loans/pay as you go too. If that's what you want I would suggest going for it. I know someone who is an experienced MSW and is doing quite well for herself! Good luck to you.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
The problem I see with social work is that you will be underpaid and have a huge caseload no matter where you work with that major.

If you love helping people, it's great, but there is a large burnout factor.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM

285 posts, read 868,757 times
Default there is more than one way to be a social worker

I know this is a really old post, but I feel a duty to respond. I am a speech-language therapist and interact frequently with social workers when I do early intervention. This is an often un-explored career path. The woman who owns/runs the agency that I contract for is a social worker; she told me it was a requirement for doing early intervention. Other social workers are psychotherapists and charge an hourly rate that is competitive. The latter is available as supplemental income or as a full-time private practice.

Not all social workers work in city and state agencies, adoption agencies, etc. I do not want to generalize based on my own experiences, but I am pointing out that depending on a person's interests, there are various avenues for social work.

Good luck to anyone reading this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem I see with social work is that you will be underpaid and have a huge caseload no matter where you work with that major.

If you love helping people, it's great, but there is a large burnout factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities