Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

338 posts, read 742,125 times

Advertisements

I'm taking two years at MCC, and then I'm transferring to UT at Arlington. Anyone know if it's any good as a school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,400,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I'm taking two years at MCC, and then I'm transferring to UT at Arlington. Anyone know if it's any good as a school?
I'm from Texas and if someone said UT they would assume you meant UT Austin. UT is in El Paso and San Antonio, heard much about those UT branches....LOL. Rice is your best bet or A&M.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,504,059 times
Outside of UT Austin, I think UT Dallas is the highest ranked campus. UT Arlington was not ranked nationally last year, but I heard it's an up and coming campus. UT San Antonio wasn't ranked either, but they're trying to become a tier 1 school. I think Arlington has more potential at becoming a decent research university since it already has a better selection of PhD programs.

You should also look at the reputation of the department you'll be getting your degree from. A school might be better than another overall, but a particular program might be better at the lower-ranked school. UT Austin, overall, is better than Texas A&M; but, like I said earlier, Texas A&M might be better for certain programs.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,373,891 times
Quote:
Depends on what you intend to study. There are better public universities in Texas than UTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Outside of UT Austin, I think UT Dallas is the highest ranked campus. UT Arlington was not ranked nationally last year, but I heard it's an up and coming campus. UT San Antonio wasn't ranked either, but they're trying to become a tier 1 school. I think Arlington has more potential at becoming a decent research university since it already has a better selection of PhD programs.

You should also look at the reputation of the department you'll be getting your degree from. A school might be better than another overall, but a particular program might be better at the lower-ranked school. UT Austin, overall, is better than Texas A&M; but, like I said earlier, Texas A&M might be better for certain programs.
This. Also, UT Austin has programs A&M doesn't have and vice versa. In the metroplex I think UTD is the best public university. Not sure if I'd rank UTA ahead of or behind UNT. Probably ahead of it.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Depends on what you intend to study. There are better public universities in Texas than UTA.
That's the problem. I DON'T know what I want to study.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM

255 posts, read 712,576 times
You have been given some excellent advice on another post you created recently. Look back at those responses to refresh your memory about how to determine what you want to study/ what work you want to do.

Typically, you would want to discover things you want to study, and then look at universities.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,784,926 times
I did my first two years at UT Arlington, and although that was some time ago, at that time it had a good reputation in field like accounting and other business fields as well as their education department and some of their engineering programs as well. No, it's not nationally known, but as a regional school, it's decent.

As far as what to study, only you can decide that, but if you've already got the first 2 years out of the way, you'll have to come up with something soon so that you can declare a major. That's something they will require you to do if you are going in as a junior classification.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,373,891 times
Quote:
That's the problem. I DON'T know what I want to study.

Then you shouldn't transfer to a four-year university...not until you do know what you want to study. Have a plan.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I did my first two years at UT Arlington, and although that was some time ago, at that time it had a good reputation in field like accounting and other business fields as well as their education department and some of their engineering programs as well. No, it's not nationally known, but as a regional school, it's decent.

As far as what to study, only you can decide that, but if you've already got the first 2 years out of the way, you'll have to come up with something soon so that you can declare a major. That's something they will require you to do if you are going in as a junior classification.
I'm in the second semester of my first year at community college, so I have roughly a year and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities