Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I have a few degrees and do not look down upon those without a degree AT ALL. Neither of my parents attended college, and they are some of the smartest people I have ever known -- well-read deep thinkers, on top of world politics and other subjects, avid theater goers, world travelers, etc... Everyone has a brain, humans are naturally intelligent unless mentally disabled, and 4-12 years of college does not make a person more intelligent for a lifetime. It does open up doors for a job, though. Especially for someone like me who has no inherent talents or the ability to make a good salary without a college degree.
I'd be very interested if you would name the few degrees. I have never heard anyone say it like that. To me, a few could be three, but, could even be four. Oops! I just remembered... my niece once said her mother had a few degrees and I knew it was TWO. Strange. A few is definitely more than two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Some college educated people do look down on those not of the same level of education as themselves or higher. Some non-college educated people do have a chip on their shoulder about their lack of formal education. To deny either case is truth is to lie. However, it's interesting how some of you perceive the subject based upon the formal or non-formal education you received. My education is high school graduate in 1987 with 3.11 GPA and studied in the US Navy Nuclear Machinist Mate A school. I graduated that school and made it to the Nuclear Power school but didn't complete. Worked with generators, engines, and basic/advanced fire fighting which included professional fire fighting training. For the past 14 years I've worked here at a 11 floor hospital. Majority of the staff have university degrees. Roughly 1/4 of the people I meet have an attitude towards those who don't have a college degree. Their medical degree doesn't mean they know mechanical engineering nor does it mean when they say jump, I say "how high?". I've had nurses try to write me up for refusing to do what they told me to do. My boss laughs at some of them. Two of his favorites include the nurse who "ordered" me to put out tarp on the roof during a thunderstorm. (Not going on the roof in a thunderstorm and not enough tarp to cover the roof of an 11 floor hospital). The other was someone who smelled gasoline near a car and thought it was leaking gas. She expected me to respond quickly because she said "STAT". Well, since she was calling me from her cell phone and was already next to the car, I told her to call 911 and let fire and hazmat know the problem and the location. She wrote me up for telling her the proper procedure. Hazmat came out, they too smelled gas but determined there was no leak. We've had housekeepers quit because of the attitude of some nurses. At one time there was only one cleaning lady working overnight. She received a page which said "come to floor --- for a spill stat." She rushed there only to discover the nurse spilled a few drops of coffee next to her desk and wanted housekeeping to mop it up for her. She threw the mop on the floor at the nurse, and told her to do it her damn self then walked off the job never to return.

My experience tells me some of you who say you don't look down on those without a degree actually do, but you do so so often and without thinking about it that you've become complacent. It's not so much outright talking down to others, it's how you behave towards them on a daily basis. You and your coworkers do these little things so often through the day that you don't realize what you do or say is actually disrespectful to those without a degree. Take the time to get to know a little about your non-college coworkers and you may find a carpenter, AC repair man, electrician, or someone who is very smart but just enjoys the low level job he currently holds

Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'd be very interested if you would name the few degrees. I have never heard anyone say it like that. To me, a few could be three, but, could even be four. Oops! I just remembered... my niece once said her mother had a few degrees and I knew it was TWO. Strange. A few is definitely more than two.
I have two BS degrees and one MS. But does that change my point? I know how to hoop jump.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do college educated persons look down on those that are less-educated?
Yes
I guess it's also safe to say that those who are trying to make that stair climb are also in danger of being pushed back down as well.
If it isn't the case I lined out in the thread title, then it's academically-advanced/"breeze-through" college students who continually question the presence of the academically-struggling, learning-disabled, and "juggling with school/work" groups of students.
Not trying to take it off topic, but that type of animosity is probably one of the reasons why so many decide to quit in the first place.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.
My trainer never finished high school.
He does not read well.
His dad died and he went to work to help support his family.
He is 60 years old and looks 50 or younger and is built like a tank.

Not only is he married to a college-educated woman, but he and I *never* run out of stuff to talk about (life, philosophy, history, religion, sports, etc).

So I may have 12 years of post-high school education vs him not even having a GED, but I have never thought to look down on him.

It is not he lack of education that is making for the boring discussions you are having.
It is just boring people.
I know boring people with multiple degrees.
Boring and lacking in depth/dimension is not always an education thing.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
I look down on narrow minded people no matter what edu level they have.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some college educated people do look down on those not of the same level of education as themselves or higher. Some non-college educated people do have a chip on their shoulder about their lack of formal education. To deny either case is truth is to lie. However, it's interesting how some of you perceive the subject based upon the formal or non-formal education you received. My education is high school graduate in 1987 with 3.11 GPA and studied in the US Navy Nuclear Machinist . . .
Your post started out being very interesting, but I discontinued reading it because you did not form paragraphs and skip a line every here and there.

Maybe you would get more responders if you made the post more readable? Thank you.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:00 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.

Personally I only look down on the willifully ignorant and the professional stupid

Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I have two BS degrees and one MS. But does that change my point? I know how to hoop jump.
I don't know what your point was.... is... Imo, your point was saying you have a FEW degrees. LOL ... oh, sure, just toss 'em in the ditch.... I have so many... cough cough.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 PM

Time to be serious: I don't look down on people without a degree. I think if a person is dumb and they know it, then don't interrupt. Of course, this fits formally educated people too. I am in the latter category and if I know little or nothing on a subject, I don't interrupt. I detest people guessing their information. And, I might add... just because a person doesn't have a degree does not mean they are dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities