Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 9,794 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to get someopinions. I have a chance to get an MBA (of course not at a top school) for an out of pocket cost approx. $6,000, not including books.

For me, it would mean a few sacrifices, I don't make a ton of money right now but could swing it and would have my MBA in two years.

Do you think it is worth it? What are your opinions on getting a higher paying job with the MBA. I am certainly not looking to make six figures, but would like to have more opportunity and hope to have more doors open.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,838,081 times
I wouldn't even bother these days. It may be cheap for the type of degree, but it doesn't seem that it's cheap for you in your situation. Plus, I'd never get an MBA from a school that's not prestigious. But that's just me.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
$6,000 is very cheap for an MBA, my wife is paying upwards of 70k at University of Denver, but that includes everything.
I am wondering why it is so cheap?

To enroll...I guess it depends on many things:

1) Is it what you want or are you doing it just in hopes of making more money?
2) Do you have business experience?
3) What's your undergrad in?
4) Do you have the available time right now and support from your family?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,187 times
Check out The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late (Portfolio):Amazon:Books

It opened my mind vastly and im not even finished

Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
$6,000 is very cheap for an MBA, my wife is paying upwards of 70k at University of Denver, but that includes everything.
I am wondering why it is so cheap?

To enroll...I guess it depends on many things:

1) Is it what you want or are you doing it just in hopes of making more money?
2) Do you have business experience?
3) What's your undergrad in?
4) Do you have the available time right now and support from your family?

The reason it is so cheap is 2 reasons, 1: As I said, it is not a top rated school, but it is accredited; 2: I am getting help with the cost so my out-of-pocket expense would be about $6000.

I am hoping to make more money - not tons, but hope that it would open more doors and possibly promotions in the future
Yes, I do have business experience - been working 20 years
My undergrad is in Communications
Time is not a problem for me. I do not have children so I would not be taking time away from them and it would not get in the way of working.

I have an appointment with the MBA Career Center tomorrow and I will see what comes from that.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonrage View Post
Are you going currently going for your undergrad or grad degree? Should I get this book?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer52 View Post
I am hoping to get someopinions. I have a chance to get an MBA (of course not at a top school) for an out of pocket cost approx. $6,000, not including books.

For me, it would mean a few sacrifices, I don't make a ton of money right now but could swing it and would have my MBA in two years.

Do you think it is worth it? What are your opinions on getting a higher paying job with the MBA. I am certainly not looking to make six figures, but would like to have more opportunity and hope to have more doors open.

Do you have any paths that would open with the MBA? Just getting one might not do you any good other than having you spend $6k. If you do not know what to do with an MBA, you might need to set up some path or something where you would make full use of it.

There are many jobs that require one, no way around it, and there are others that do not require one at all and having one will not assist you in getting the job.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
When I worked in the corporate world years ago, my company (a very successful savings & loan in California) would have paid the bulk of the cost of my going to school for my MBA. They didn't care what school as long as it was accredited. If I had wanted to stay in the corporate world, I likely would have gotten the MBA as I like school.

It really depends so much on what you want to do with your life. Do those positions require or strongly recommend an MBA? Do they care where you got it? (That might be hard to know.) If so, then $6,000 seems pretty cheap to pay for it.

(I personally left the corporate world for a Ph.D. and academia and have not regretted it for a second!)

Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM

69 posts, read 268,656 times
If it will only cost you $6k for an MBA, then yes, do it.

That is considered cheap for an MBA.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer52 View Post

I worked as an analyst for several years in a corporation and then went to a state university somewhere around #25 on most of the published rankings. Can't answer that because not enough is known about this school and about your other qualifications.

MBAs these days are a dime a dozen; therefore the quality of the institution matters a lot. And to be frank, with 20 years of experience, employers will weight that a heck of a lot more than your MBA, especially if it's from an unremarkable school. So you may find that you have to put in some long and hard effort to break out of whatever mold you're currently in before you see the difference in your paycheck. Much depends on your performance and career progression - if you can show an employer that you've grown a lot and produced excellent results, you'll be better positioned. If it's more like you've been doing the same thing with similar results for a long time, then the MBA is not likely to make much of a difference. And age discrimination is alive and well, alas... if you had done this 15 or 10 years ago, your ROI would probably increase.

For ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities