Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,180,143 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many things to think about on this thread!

First, I agree that you are never too old to go back to school...IF this is what you really want to do. I understand not wanting to get into too much debt but there are schools out there that are ...well not cheap but definitely more affordable than the majority. And of course grants are available.

I am ...gasp...52 and planning to take some classes soon. I never finished my degree and although I haven't had too much trouble finding work and work that I enjoy...what a bonus!... I now know (hindsight being 20/20) that it would have been easier had I finished my degree. I plan to get my bachelors and move on to a masters. It can't hurt and it will definitely lend more....punch or credibility to the experience that I have now.

If the OP's SO wants to go back to school he should. He may want to look into a field that complements his experience and that he might have an easier time breaking into. And there are some jobs where age won't hinder you. OKay, not a lot of them but some.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times
A little bit more about my husband. As I said, he's had almost 20 years of experience in social work in England so he is thinking about a degree in social work. He also likes psychology, English, sociology, and criminal justice. He's not very good at math and science so most medical careers seem unfeasible.

He really wanted to get into law enforcement, border patrol work, corrections officer, immigration, but since he was 39 when he came here, he was already at the cut off age for all of those and that really upset him.

He's worked with some of the most notorious serial killers, rapists, cannibals, and sexual offenders in England and New York as a counselor in England and as a security officer and mental health assistant in NY and he really enjoys the criminal mind. He was laid off the NY location three years ago. He also has a certificate in cremation, but hasn't been able to find any work in that field either.

So reading all this does any particular degree seem more appropriate over another. We want it so somehow complement all the experience he has had.

I'm 35 and a teacher with a master's degree and teach in elementary school. We get by on one income for now, which is kind of tight here in NJ. We want to eventually buy a home and have a child, but at this rate it's not looking so great.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM

69 posts, read 268,656 times
If he wants to go back to school, you have to look at the ROI because paying the student loan takes the heat on everybody's pocket.

Did he consider to become an insurance investigator? He doesn't need Master's degree for that but he may have to start as entry level.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
If he's 45, he has a long time to work before he can retire. I'd recommend going back to school for a year or two to get credentialed to do what he wants, instead of looking for something he can do with his present education. Granted, he might like another profession just fine, but why not go back to school? Since this man is married to the OP, she can work to support them and he will not have to take out loans to pay rent and buy food and clothes, like single college students do. The recession will not last forever.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM

412 posts, read 684,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post

I am ...gasp...52 and planning to take some classes soon. I never finished my degree and although I haven't had too much trouble finding work and work that I enjoy...what a bonus!... I now know (hindsight being 20/20) that it would have been easier had I finished my degree. I plan to get my bachelors and move on to a masters. It can't hurt and it will definitely lend more....punch or credibility to the experience that I have now.
I just finished my BA (squeaked it in just under the 50 year mark) and now I am onto a Masters.

For me I just found that not having the BA/BS limited me to what I could do. I seriously believe that you are never too old for education, it just has to depend on what you are going for. Education for education's sake is good just to learn but if it is for career you need to consider what education will make sense for the career.

For the OP -
I would have your husband look at all the available MSW programs (some you can go part time and with a part time job he can pay for it) because he still has a long time to go before retirement. A field he might consider looking at is MSW in Gerontology. The Baby Boomers are coming and there is a whole mess of them!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
My husband hasn't had much luck with jobs since he immigrated here from England a few years ago. Now he want to go to school, but not sure for what yet.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth getting into all this debt and still not being able to possibly find a job or maybe it would be better to start a home business of some sort.

Has anyone been in this situation? Did you go through with getting a degree?

It is always worth attending college if one has a clear plan and functional alternatives as to what one intends to do with the degree and financial investment required.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM

472 posts, read 1,098,485 times
I just got my mom enrolled in college and she is 56.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM

20 posts, read 57,059 times
I don't think it too late, but I would recommend a non-traditional approach to getting a degree. I am currently planning on using the same method to get my first college degree. It known as DIY degree, you just basically take tests similar to a college level course. If you passed, you get the equivalent college credit.

You can find more information by googling up "Clep" or "DSST". And here is a well written post The DIY Degree: Using Self-Education to Earn a Bachelor and go to InstantCert - Study Guides For CLEP, DANTES, ECE, And GED Exams if you still have questions.

Also, your husband should be eligible to qualify for college credits for his previous work experience. You can find more information by looking through Ace (college credit recommendation service)https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuse...anscripts.main.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Be very careful of schools that give lots of credit for "life experiences" and the like.

Online College Blog and School Reviews | 10 Online colleges offering credit for life experience

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 30,951 times
I do not believe for one second that going back to school or even starting school at 45 is too old or even a waste of time. I am a retired military Frefighte and I injured my back while in the service. After undergoing two back surgeries I had to leave the career I trully loved and had worked so hard to perform in, I decided to return to school to study something related to my area of expertise. I decided on a degree in Occupational Health and safety so I could expand on all the experianced attained while in the military. My advise to Raven1976 is to have you check into the FAFSA process and see if you qualify for a Grant and start looking at programs which your husband may have interest in and also one for which his past experiance have a correlation with the degree plan. In college I had a proffesor who started his degree pursuit after he was 55 and now holds a Dortorate in Philosophy. Sure it was hard for him, but his accomplishments also served me as a motivator when I had my doubts as well. My guess is that any degree in Psychology or Sociology would be withing his area of interest. Another way would be to major in Criminal Justice or Criminology with a minor in Psychology. There are options and ways to accomplish this, but it does take perseverance and dedication, and all the suppport you can muster. Good Luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities