Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM

472 posts, read 1,100,972 times

Advertisements

Okay, I would like some feedback here of how others would handle this situation.

I'm an environmental engineer major. I took a summer 2 class online with a teacher I have already taken two classes through before. I've had nothing but trouble with this guy. He NEVER responds to emails. If I ask for a graded test/ homework/ midterm I cant get it. He will just tell me what I did wrong in general.

He once told me that American students (he's cuban) have a hard time with basic high school math and that was something I needed to work on because I was incompetent in that area.. mind you I'm a straight A student.

Okay here's my big problem. After I finally got a few responses back from him when trying to study for my final he told me to just google it. Also, at the end of the final he had in all caps and bold letters to "Google something if we have questions." This pissed me off. While this is an online class you are to teach yourself, I understand that. But there's a teacher to answer questions if you have further questions about the lectures posted. I emailed him back asking 1- what if what I google is wrong. 2- I pay tuition to have a teacher help me out. I can google for FREE. He responded with "I'm sorry for trying to help you out, you can get mad at me all you want. It seems the issues are more deep rooted here..." I about lost it.

Am I crazy for having an issue with this? Is this wrong? What would you do? What would you say? Now this class is over and of course I got a C for this class. Again I'm not sure what I missed, what I did, or even my assignment grades to earn that C as he didn't post them online nor would he email me back with grades or feedback.

This teacher doesn't teach. He posts extremely confusing lectures / powerpoints. His english isn't that good. Then he expects you to learn it and not ask any questions but to google instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM

12,112 posts, read 23,362,822 times
It is inappropriate on his part. I would complain to everyone at the college, to include his chair, the dean and the provost. Stop taking classes with this prof.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM

From what I'm told this degree is fairly new to the college and they just wont hire anyone else to teach these classes. He teaches a lot of these classes.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,596,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Okay, I would like some feedback here of how others would handle this situation.

I'm an environmental engineer major. I took a summer 2 class online with a teacher I have already taken two classes through before. I've had nothing but trouble with this guy. He NEVER responds to emails. If I ask for a graded test/ homework/ midterm I cant get it. He will just tell me what I did wrong in general.

He once told me that American students (he's cuban) have a hard time with basic high school math and that was something I needed to work on because I was incompetent in that area.. mind you I'm a straight A student.

Okay here's my big problem. After I finally got a few responses back from him when trying to study for my final he told me to just google it. Also, at the end of the final he had in all caps and bold letters to "Google something if we have questions." This pissed me off. While this is an online class you are to teach yourself, I understand that. But there's a teacher to answer questions if you have further questions about the lectures posted. I emailed him back asking 1- what if what I google is wrong. 2- I pay tuition to have a teacher help me out. I can google for FREE. He responded with "I'm sorry for trying to help you out, you can get mad at me all you want. It seems the issues are more deep rooted here..." I about lost it.

Am I crazy for having an issue with this? Is this wrong? What would you do? What would you say? Now this class is over and of course I got a C for this class. Again I'm not sure what I missed, what I did, or even my assignment grades to earn that C as he didn't post them online nor would he email me back with grades or feedback.

This teacher doesn't teach. He posts extremely confusing lectures / powerpoints. His english isn't that good. Then he expects you to learn it and not ask any questions but to google instead.
Complain complain complain. To the chair of the department and also the head of the distance learning program. Also, be sure to review him on ratemyprofessors.com.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,261,347 times
make someone in a position of authority tell you - in writing if at all possible

then keep complaining upward

it's outrageous

Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Ok I wasn't sure if I wanted to take it that far but now I think I will. It's just obnoxious.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM

6,828 posts, read 9,086,774 times
Quote:
Ok I wasn't sure if I wanted to take it that far but now I think I will. It's just obnoxious.
You absolutely should take it that far. Where do you think you're going with the teacher? No where! All you are doing is asking for a decent educational experience. You're entitled to that. You may not get a perfect teacher, but this guy doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Don't be afraid to take your concerns to the right people at the college, even up to the President/Provost if need be.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM

It Apparent I have to go straight to the top at school because I've had to deal with a few things with the department head and he is just as useless. Whether or not they take my concern seriously isn't the point. If I wasn't so close to graduating I'd certainly transfer out but a point needs to be made. Thanks all!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,279,206 times
Quote:

I am not suggesting you do not do it, but complaining is not going to change a thing unless numerous students complain or you are protesting a grade. You can demand to have your coursework/grades revealed to you, too. Other than that, the dude will continue to teach.

What would I do? Nothing. I would be happy I passed the class and did not have to repeat it. I would save all correspondence with the Prof, just in case they are needed sometime in the future, then I would get on with my life/school. I am not saying that is what you should do, but you did ask what "I" would do.

Every college student comes across at least one Prof like this.

Yes, I think this type of Prof is wrong, but like I said there is nothing you can really do about it outside of warning other students to avoid this guy if they can.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,279,206 times
Quote:
It Apparent I have to go straight to the top at school because I've had to deal with a few things with the department head and he is just as useless. Whether or not they take my concern seriously isn't the point. If I wasn't so close to graduating I'd certainly transfer out but a point needs to be made. Thanks all!
I get the feeling your issue is really with your department and not so much with the Prof in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities