Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM

213 posts, read 522,461 times

Advertisements

I am three semesters (I attend part-time as I work full-time) away from completing my Associates in Sociology at a community college. My plan is to obtain my Bachelors in Human Development and Family Sciences, but I don't exactly know how to tell which school has the better program.

Right now, I am leaning toward Oregon State University Ecampus. The degree is online, and although I live in Nevada, I could attend graduation in Corvallis, and my family could attend, as they don't live that far away. And, OSU's Ecampus is highly regarded.

http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/onlin...curriculum.pdf

My other option is University of Nevada-Reno. I live in the area, so I could have the college experience. But, with all the additional fees, both schools are fairly similar in cost.

http://www.unr.edu/Documents/college...AL-2012-13.pdf

My third option would be to start at UNR and transfer to OSU. Is this wise?

I don't know if this will make a difference or not, but, OSU is on a quarter system, where as UNR is on a semester system. And, I will be 34 when I graduate, so I am prepared to put in the work. I'm just unsure how to tell which school has the better program.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Is this in advance of a career change? If so you should also consider where you will make contacts in your field, have opportunities to intern, and whether the school has a good rep at placing it's graduates. If not, and this is something you are doing to help you in your current career or for self improvement then it probably doesn't matter that much.

The "college experience" can mean different things but is usually something people just getting out on their own for the first time go through. It won't be like that for you, but there is still a lot to be said for interacting with people and I'd always choose that option over going solo with my computer....hehe. I'd go to UNR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities