Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times

Advertisements

My husband is in a similar spot-- making a bit more than you in a position typically reserved for people with MBAs or law degrees and he has neither. He is just now going into a MA program with the hope of going to law school after that. Personally I think he's crazy to do it because he's already earning so much, but there is a pride issue involved and he's concerned that if anything happened to his company (he rose to the top more or less by the seat of his pants) he would never be able to find employment at a similar payscale. So I'm being supportive of him as best I can. My only concern for him is that if he focuses too much attention on school he will end up hurting his potential at work since so much of his energies will be going into school. If I'm reading correctly you won't be working while going to school, so this won't be an issue for you.

You say the degree will be 25% of your net worth... since you are still so young the insurance payout will only last so long. What looks like a lot of money now will go faster than you think. So if you have the discipline and skills to do well in an elite program, I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Sometimes I wonder why formal education and career are so closely related. I guess how else would you screen.

Today it appears that skills and gumption are more necessary for success than the degree you obtained in your youth..and only a small number of companies recognize this.

Personal enrichment, although a luxury, is the primary reason for going to school.

Your husband has a family to think about, but he also must tend to himself! Going to school full time and working full time--no doubt with a serious job--with a family is a a herculean task. I laud his efforts.

I hope that you are a good wife and pick up the slack for him as best you can....and recognize that his efforts so far have given you a relatively high income.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
An elite college is not a trade school. It's about education in a much broader sense. The advantage of going to those schools is being around other smart students and faculty. You have the luxury of spending three years studying and have the experience and age to appreciate and make the most of it. As they say, youth (and I would argue education) is wasted on the young.

I would definitely do it.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
"An elite college is not a trade school. It's about education in a much broader sense." I agree, but methinks the level of discourse in cafeteria at Google is on par with conversation in Stanfor's DFAC.

I am not advocating against schools filled with smartypants. I just question if they are worth the 45-65k per annum. For some yes, for others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities