Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 10:48 PM

796 posts, read 505,564 times

Advertisements

Ok i got my bachelors degree from a traditional public school that has that national accreditation for business schools. I been out of school since 2005. My parents only have their bachelors degrees. My mom kept pressuring me to go back cuz some of her friends children went back. One of her friend's daughters is a quality engineer senior level at my job. My job is in administration/budget/EVMS/quality. Anyway the engineer went to this private school for her MBA along with her sister who is a nurse. It is a 2 year program with accelerated classes, nonprofit, regionally accredited school n Va with satellite campuses in Va. It does have a main brick campus in Va. I never known much about the school (but knew a little about it) until i talked with my moms friend daughter (the engineer). She gave positive feedback and said the professors taught from a real life experience along with textbook material. The school requires a 3.0 GPA for undergrad, application and 3 references. I saw a flyer on my company's HR learning and development internal website. I then called and talked with enrollment counselor. I learned i only take one class a time and one night a week. I thought that was doable because i am always busy working two jobs and in organizations. My full time job sometimes have me work late as well.

I moved out on my own last year and decided to go back to school because I'm getting older and wanted to make some big changes with my life. Mind you i didn't know much about grad schools and MBA reputations because my parents didn't go to grad school...my mom is a retired teacher and dad works in residential treatment center. My parents never guided me the right way. I was good in science and mathematics in high school and didn't have a good school counselor or role model growing up. I was very shy and sheltered. My self esteem was and still very low and i have a poor self image. I am a good person with a good heart. I also have a strong work ethic and want to do well in life and prove naysayers wrong.

Anyway now its been 10 months since i been in this graduate program. Now i have learned alot from SOME classes but i think i should've just took more time to research about graduate school. The MBA did help the nurse because she got a promotion to assistant manager and the engineer is going to another private school, regent university to get doctorate in organizational leadership. She just got lateral position in HR as organizational development rep sr level. Will this MBA help me or do i need to go same route as the engineer and get doctorate or second masters?

Like my undergrad....it depends on the professor as to how challenging the course is and how much you learn.
What should i do?

I think i should've just did more research and maybe went to college of william and mary simply due to name recognition. I never taken gmat but I'm good in math and minored in it. Some students in my program are professional, smart and have professional jobs like business manager at smithfield packing, nuclear engineer at power plant, eeo rep for a company, etc. But i do see students who couldn't make it in more name recognized schools like William and Mary. What should i do now? My job does pay for books and tuition and some other fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

412 posts, read 684,872 times
So what school are you attending?
And yes you should have done a lot more research on graduate school before jumping in.

Why do you think your parents are to blame for you not doing more research before getting into this program?

Maybe you are not blaming your parents but it sounds like it.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
I'm sorry, but I cannot even understand your question. What exactly are you asking? Your post is too long and very unclear.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
So what school are you attending?
And yes you should have done a lot more research on graduate school before jumping in.

Why do you think your parents are to blame for you not doing more research before getting into this program?

Maybe you are not blaming your parents but it sounds like it.
i am attending Averett University. I am not blaming my parents but just explaining why i felt a lot of pressure and why i did what i did. I never had a good role model in life to give me good advice and guidance.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'm sorry, but I cannot even understand your question. What exactly are you asking? Your post is too long and very unclear.
Sorry for being so long-winded in my post but i wanted to give enough explanation. I wanted to know what should i do about my situation. I made a fast decision and didnt do enough research about attending grad school. Now my job is paying for it and they have a good relationship with averett univ as well as schools like st leo but i should have went somewhere that had name recognition. I just relied on feedback from my mom friend daughters. Their MBA helped them but im asking will it help me...or will i need to further education afterwards.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
I couldn't figure it out either.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM

130 posts, read 365,736 times
Quote:
I thought it was just me because I was lost too! lol

Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
It came up the 34th regionally ranked university in the south on US news. Seems expensive though.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Sorry for being so long-winded in my post but i wanted to give enough explanation. I wanted to know what should i do about my situation. I made a fast decision and didnt do enough research about attending grad school. Now my job is paying for it and they have a good relationship with averett univ as well as schools like st leo but i should have went somewhere that had name recognition. I just relied on feedback from my mom friend daughters. Their MBA helped them but im asking will it help me...or will i need to further education afterwards.
So what are you choices? Are you asking if you should quit, or if you should go to a different school instead? How much of the MBA is done and how much is left? Is it costing you anything? How is it that you want it to help you? And if it's not costing you anything and you already have a job, why would it matter?

It's really not relevant why you chose your school. All that matters is what is your end goal, how much will the degree cost you, and what are you options right now. Be clear about that and maybe we can help you.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:35 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,384 times
as stated above me what matters is your GOAL.....that is what you have left out of your question

lets cover the basics first

1. you need a GOAL that you are trying to achieve with going back to school

2. you are employed now and it sounds like you have been there for a while....having a job, an undergrad degree, and a stable employment record puts you well ahead of many people in the game right now

3. get over your parents and the past.....love them and move on from what you could have or would have done different with more guidance......there is no wayback machine and or DeLorean to get that past back.....look to the future

4. it is very difficult and often time consuming to switch between graduate programs and it will be even harder in an MBA program since each school is going to value their MBA program as unique

5. you are working at a place that is paying for your MBA....one would think that is because they place some type of value on people having that degree working for them and also because they seem to place some value on you as an individual employee and wish to invest in you to further your education....IMO you would be pretty much crazy to walk away from that and it could well hurt you at your place of employment because they would see that as a waste of their resources and as a sign that you are not looking to advance your education or career when you are afforded that opportunity.....I would say 100% you need to complete the MBA and make the best grades possible and then panic from there with an MBA VS panicking with an undergrad degree and having walked from a company paid for MBA

6. "help you".....help you with what.....advancing your career where you are.....well one would think so since your company is investing in you.....and if you want to further your education after your MBA you need to make plans for that NOW.....from an MBA for someone that likes math with an undergrad in business and quality and budget and computer experience the obvious choice would be a PhD in MIS or something similar or a different field that your experience and love of math might work in is Economics

that would tell me that before you finish your MBA and before you finish your company paying for your education you need to talk with someone at your school about setting yourself up for getting a PhD in one of those fields or something similar.....usually an MBA is looked upon as a professional degree and not really a degree that leads to a PhD and many people with industry experience often teach with an MBA at both 4 year and 2 year (community college) schools so if you have a large number of community colleges near you you can probably pick up some extra cash teaching some undergrad business courses.....and the coeds usually stay the same age as you get older...

7. I usually would not give this type of advice as I think relationships should have meaning, but nurses are usually hot so try and have sex with your nurse friend and if not her try her sister....I really think this could help you break out of your shell and figure some things out.....or ask a girl in your MBA classes out for studying or drinks and studying

feel free to expound upon your goals further and perhaps we can all offer you more advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities