Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 9,004 times

Advertisements

Well, I graduated in May with a degree in chemical engineering from a small college in TN, (gpa 3.75) with 20k in debt . I have just received my green card 2 months ago. Previously I was on student visa, thus I could not allow to work off campus / also I could not find any internship to earn relevant experience . From May, till now, I have started to look for jobs with no success. I just want some advice in order to solve this situation.

I know that grad school may not be a good option either, since the industry is almost run by BS plus you need relevant exp. I mean the worst case I can go to grad school.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
I don't know anything about the chem engineering major, but make sure you get some good help with your resume and cover letters. Many non-native speakers have really bad resumes and don't even realize it.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
20k is not that much debt nor is three months that long to have been looking for jobs. i would contact your school's career center to see if they can help you. i agree you should get your resume and cover letters evaluated by a native english speaker in your field

Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 PM

@ broco and marie,

Thanks for the advice. I did have my resume and cover letter read by my professors and the advisor in my school's career service. All of them are native speakers. It's really a pain when looking all you friends making real money, and you have to live with your parents.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Something I've noticed lately is that internships no longer just apply to current college students, it can also mean recent graduates. The trend is to take a worker, pay them less then they would a regular worker and give them no benefits, make the position for 3-6 months and call them interns. It's not all bad though because you would get your foot in the door and in your field, a paid internship would be a given.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
Go back to career services and ask for help finding a job or internship.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 AM

233 posts, read 720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Go back to career services and ask for help finding a job or internship.
This is good advice. You might also consider expanding your search radius and consider perhaps other geographic locations. You mention that your university is in a small town in TN, but you don't mention where you are looking for a job. Maybe there could be an internship in a larger city near you that would give you some experience in your field while you still live at home with the folks?

As far as graduate school, I personally think students benefit most from a graduate degree having had some work experience in the field. If you go back for a master degree in your field, what's going to change in two years? You'll still have no experience? What happens then, do you just stay in school and get a Ph.D. because you couldn't find a job?

p.s. - Don't forget, you've graduated from college during one of the toughest times in our country. The unemployment rate is high and that doesn't even take into consideration those that have stopped looking and the underemployed. So, don't beat yourself up! It's only been 3 months since you graduated. Keep looking and remain positive

Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 PM

@ all : Thanks a lot for your advice. I will go again and check with my school's career office and see if they have something new.

@florida_boy : I totally agree with your opinion about grad school. I have heard horror stories about people who waste 2-10 years in grad school and can not find anything after that. However, one of my dad friend told me that, sometimes a grad degree may help. But again, exp is the most important. I knew it would hurt me a lot, but I could not really do anything cuz of the immigration 's law that prohibited me to work off campus while I was on student visa.

Bruce.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,645 times
you need to contact every major and minor oil company, refining company, and oil field service company.....if you can't land a job with one of them with a chemical engineering degree then you have some type of major issue and a masters will not help you overcome whatever that issue is

chemical engineering is one of the preferred degrees for any oil industry work right up there with a petroleum engineering degree and since PE. degree programs are extremely rare ChE. degree holders are very sought after in the industry and they are generally considered to be even more well rounded than PE. majors

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce88 View Post
@ all : Thanks a lot for your advice. I will go again and check with my school's career office and see if they have something new.

@florida_boy : I totally agree with your opinion about grad school. I have heard horror stories about people who waste 2-10 years in grad school and can not find anything after that. However, one of my dad friend told me that, sometimes a grad degree may help. But again, exp is the most important. I knew it would hurt me a lot, but I could not really do anything cuz of the immigration 's law that prohibited me to work off campus while I was on student visa.

Bruce.
This is too late, but not having a green card should not prevent you having an un-paid internship.

Now, you said all your friends are having careers. How did they get those jobs? Can you follow their path? Can you ask them to hook you up with an internship or something?

Be aggressive. Once again, be aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities