Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
I think in the end the party animals if they grow up and use their social skills to good use will actually do better in life than this nerd. I have seen him and he is incredibly geeky and he makes people uncomfortable so no one is going to hire him straight A's or not.
Wow. You've seen this kid what - a couple of times at most unless you are spending way too much time in your son's dorm - and you make that leap?

The assumptions being made about this kid are just ridiculous.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,062 times
Quote:
My step son calls home with some really interesting stories about the goings on at his college. This one tops them all. THE STRAIGHT A STUDENT who studies 14 hours a day 7 days a week but does not talk to anyone ever at any time.

The super student lives alone in a single in my son's dorm and spends all his time in his room studying and has yet to say a word to anyone all semester. According to gossip he is getting straight A's but of course how can anyone know. My son sees him in classes and he sits in the back and never says a word in class but still gets straight A's. He is not involved in any clubs, associations or academic groups.

Assuming he does get straight A's should he be allowed to go all the way through college and graduate at the top of his class and not have to say a word to anyone and not get involved in anything? Should a college require students to be active somewhat socially to graduate?
Your nick is well-chosen.

I'm sure the moment his social habits become any part of your business, he'll be the first to let you know.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
I think in the end the party animals if they grow up and use their social skills to good use will actually do better in life than this nerd. I have seen him and he is incredibly geeky and he makes people uncomfortable so no one is going to hire him straight A's or not.

As an employer I would rather hire a B student who was active in all aspects of college not someone who does not talk to anyone. Business is about relationships.
Why do you sound more like a middle school bully than the parent of a college-aged child?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I can't see how this thread can move on from here. Let's call it a day.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities