Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times

Advertisements

I have a BA in English and a Paralegal Certificate. I work as a subrogation coordinator for a healthfund. No-I did not want to teach and becoming a paralegal right now would mean a big pay cut. Go figure. However, my education is a big help with my job and gives me more credibility with the attorneys I have to deal with so I'm ok with it. If I had it to do over again, I would have been a Pharmacy major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I wanted a journalism degree, but ended up with a PHD in Domestic Engineering.. I am still working in that field, because there is no one here to replace meand there is no retirement package offered..There are other rewards though and my opinion is crucial in every thing that goes on

Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,023 times
BA in History 1994, MA in History, PhD dropout
Career choice-Mom
I've never used my degrees in a work setting, but I'm not sorry that I went to college. It was a great experience intellectually and emotionally.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
I wanted to pursue a degree in journalism at Columbia (in SC), but got married and started teaching. Funny when you look back on your life, there are so many roads "less traveled."

I earned a BA in English/Certification to teach Secondary English. I did teach for 25+ years, during which time I went back to school, and in the time I could've had a Master's, chose instead to do the coursework to become certified to teach K-6, which I enjoy doing as a substitute now.

I still want to write.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
BA in History 1994, MA in History, PhD dropout
Career choice-Mom
I've never used my degrees in a work setting, but I'm not sorry that I went to college. It was a great experience intellectually and emotionally.
Exactly!! No such thing as a wasted education!!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,355 times
what an interesting thread.

I have BS in Elementary/Special Education (minor Bilingual Education)
MA in Elementary Education
PhD in Curriculum and Instruction (also Elementary Education).

I have taught all grades from preschool through seniors in college, but mostly 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades.

I'm a SAHM for the time being.

Teaching is hard, but well worth it in terms of satisfaction. If I didn't have any bills to pay I would seriously do it for free. Now my husband pays the bills though (his choice!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities