Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
All I want is for my child to be happy, and what you study has to be something you are really interested in. So I may think it's not a great choice, and may tell her, but at the end if the day it's her choice.

Your children with be happy if you allow them to play 5 hours video games every day.
But I call such parents lousy and irresponsible (not to imply you are one of them).

Sometimes I regret my parents did not push me enough in SOME fields.
I have a pretty good sense of music. However my parents did not send me to learn any instrument. Yes, I preferred playing around back then but now I wish they had forced me, or at least encouraged me instead of sitting there watching TV shows every night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What you are failing to recognize is that by the time your child is of age to go to college he/she will be an adult. As an adult it is not their job to live their life to please you. It is their life.

My son is almost 19 and a freshman in college. He is a young man. College is the time for him to prepare himself to be able to live independently from my husband and I. The days of him living his life to see a great big smile on my face are over. He has his own life to live and having his mother choose his major/career is not appropriate. Of course he is young and he does seek the advice of my husband and I but he needs to make his own decisions.

As a parent, I am not obligated to pay for college. I want to pay for college as long as I think he is on a path that will result in him being prepared to be an adult living on his own. Since he is an adult he understands that he has obligations to meet in order for us to continue funding his college education. However, one of those obligations is not that I get complete and total control over his life.

It is case by case.
Nowadays many 18 year olds behave like 12 year olds. When they mature, they have lots of regrets but time doesn't go back. Yes I agree it is a part of life but why not give them more advices.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I wish at least one poster here was more sympathetic to my view. Frankly, I feel that I would be personally devastated if my children choose a college major I didn't want them to do. (If they do an additonal major/minor, then that's fine by me). And not going to college is not even on the table. I guess life can be tough.
You know when you are old and decrepit and cannot wipe your own behind, and you turn to your children for comfort and support, and they tell you to get lost, well, remember that life can be tough.

I can understand an unwillingness to not pay for an education that you feel is a waste of time, it is your money. And while it may be your money it is ultimately their education and future. I would think you would be emotionally supportive of that at the least. Besides, you have no idea what they will want to major in, if they even want to go to college, or what your feelings will be on the matter. Times and attitudes and people change.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
If a parent or parents are that controlling and have such a lack of trust in their child as to actually disown them over choosing what would be considered the " incorrect " major then may you endure every wrath of God.

What disgusting and abhorrent behavior. Why not just stab your child in the heart with a sharp stiletto blade?

The pain of that injury would be far more bearable than the pain of having your parents disown you for simply choosing a major that you find interesting and that you could excel in.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Your children with be happy if you allow them to play 5 hours video games every day.
But I call such parents lousy and irresponsible (not to imply you are one of them).
Sometimes I regret my parents did not push me enough in SOME fields.
I have a pretty good sense of music. However my parents did not send me to learn any instrument. Yes, I preferred playing around back then but now I wish they had forced me, or at least encouraged me instead of sitting there watching TV shows every night.
I don't think my child will be happy if she studies something she doesn't like. I know many people who chose a field they were not interested in "just because they would get a better job", and who have been miserable ever since.
I don't think it's irresponsible to let our kids choose what they want to major in.
And I don't understand why you mention video games (though I understand it's just an example), this has nothing to do with what my previous post implied. I only said I want her to be happy and study something she loves!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
My mother chose my major and I hate it ! She told me too pick a smart major because it would lead to a job. I may as well majored in what I wanted. At least I would have enjoyed it and still be where I am now

Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Disown kids for not chosing a major of your chosing? this sounds like a trolling thread. And in that spirit.. my 02 cents:

The OP does not love his/her kids. Perhaps years back, when they were making them they should have either used protection of found a non-traditional orifice for the sperm deposit.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Disown kids for not chosing a major of your chosing? this sounds like a trolling thread. And in that spirit.. my 02 cents:

The OP does not love his/her kids. Perhaps years back, when they were making them they should have either used protection of found a non-traditional orifice for the sperm deposit.
On the contrary, I love my children. My wife and I planned carefully for years before we had them. That is not the issue.

The thing is that I consider myself to be something of an overachiever, I suppose. I have degrees in electrical engineering and law. I worked for years in a biglaw firm in Washington, D.C. I am also a part-time rock musician, a songwriter and producer, and a stock investor. I speak multiple languages and am an international traveler. I don't do any of these things out of competition with anyone, but because I tend to get bored very easily and strive to keep busy pushing myself to do many different things.

The reason I mention all this is because I want my children to be goal-oriented and push themselves to achieve in the same way I have done for myself. Actually, I want them to do better. I suppose this is what every parent wants for their children.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Just make sure your children do well in school. Support them with all the extracurricular, opportunities, and tutors they need. Best, put them in private school. If you do your job here, your children will have the opportunity to go to one of the top institutions in the world... for free.

It doesn't matter whether they study Engineering at at Cornell or Business at Harvard or Communications at Columbia.... they'll be fine.

Now if they end up at CUNY.... then you've created underachievers.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
I would contribute toward the first two years, regardless of the major. After that, a women's studies major or political science major or French lit major would be on her own. If she's an adult, she doesn't need Mommy paying her bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities