Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,077 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am about to graduate with my biomedical science degree this May. I want to work in the dental field.

My first option is to go for general dentistry, I have 3.0 gpa, I would have to get a masters program to improve my gpa this fall 2013 and take the DAT test which I took before and got a 16 which is low as well,so I will have to retake it I would apply for dental school next summer 2014 to get enrolled in fall of 2015

Second option is to go for dental hygien program, I am missing some requirements which I will take this fall of 2013, so I will apply for the program next summer 2014 to get enrolled for fall 2014.

So I have to choose one of those choices, which path should I go?

Thank you for helping me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Here are your choices

Average salary dentist in the Tampa area- $ 135,400 and some change

Average salary dental hygienist in the Tampa area $ 42,000

Which do you want - to be a well paid professional or to work a lower middle income job?

Ask yourself, just how driven are you- dental school is going to take along time to get finished and get established. It's got a great payoff, but it may take along time to pay off school loans and get into practice.
Are you up to it ? .

How are your finances- how much in debt do you have to go to finish either program.

Only you can answer these questions. Good luck what ever you decide

Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
OP: Seems like you might get more feedback in another forum instead of Tampa/St Pete.

Both jobs require you to be a "people person" - not everyone is is suited for those types of jobs. There are other jobs in dentistry where you don't do direct patient care:

Dental Laboratory Technicians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities