Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,773 times

Advertisements

I am looking at transferring to one of the three major universities in Hawai'i that have marine biology and/or animal sciences and zoology classes, UH at Manoa, UH at Hilo, and Hawai'i Pacific University. I have been reading on here for a while now, and there is a lot of great information, but I have not found much on school vs. school. (Yes, I used the search tool)

I am wanting to double major in biology as well as marine biology so I have a well rounded course set up. Which school is the best for doing this? I have been getting very mixed reviews, some places say Hilo is better than Manoa in the science fields, some say vice versa. I know that Manoa has Coconut Island for marine majors to do field study in, and they offer a lot more majors in these fields. Hilo also has majors in marine biology and general biology, but none in the animal science or zoology. However, I know they are a lot smaller and cheaper than Manoa, and a lot more secluded. I prefer small towns over big cities any day, I am not a fan of crowds, but I also want to be able to get in the water pretty regularly, and I hear Hilo doesn't really have many swimming beaches. I also know about how much it rains there, and it wouldn't bother me.

I am having a very hard time deciding between the two schools because they both have pros and cons. I am wondering if anybody on here has been to either one of these schools for a science degree and which one would you recommend? Is studying on Coconut Island worth going to Manoa and paying 15k more a year and dealing with the big city? Or does Hilo also have something like this for good hands on experience and lab work? Also, I would very much like to be able to intern and/or volunteer or work somewhere where I can get first hand experience in the field while I am still in school; since Hilo is such a small area are there any places around to do something like that? Or do I need to go to Manoa for that too? I will be using mostly financial aid and student loans, and I really am not trying to rack up more loans than I need to, but it is also important that I receive a good education with a lot of lab work and be able to get experience etc.

Any information on any of these schools would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities