Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times

Advertisements

Transport U: Colleges Save Millions By Embracing Policies to Reduce Driving | Streetsblog Capitol Hill

I did not realize how expensive it is to build parking spaces on college campuses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I do wish that CU Boulder would allow students to opt out though but they do not. The pass works great for most, especially those living in Boulder.

The problem is, for our son who will live at home next year, the buses are too irregular where we are (just out of Boulder) and the stops not convenient. He'd waste too much time. Boulder is outrageous for rent. So it's cheaper for him still to live at home and pay for a parking permit.

I do know that it works well for many though and is nice that it can be used even going up to Denver, so not just Boulder. At the end of the day it's great that it saves the university money. But like I said, an opt out for students would also be nice.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
Boone, NC, where I attend university, has a free bus service (that's free to everyone, not just students). I use it pretty heavily, my car stays parked unless I'm leaving town.

Most Appalachian State students now live in off-campus apartments, and I can't even begin to imagine how many green spaces would have had to have been paved over for parking spaces for those students if the buses weren't getting students directly too and from the major complexes for class every day.

Unfortunately the system has been affected by state budget cuts. There's also plans to replace existing parking lots with parking decks.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
I think this greatly depends on the campus location and atmosphere. For traditional universities in areas with expensive real estate, this makes perfect sense. I can honestly say I don't know a single person that drives to school at UT-Austin. Parking on campus is for professors and on-campus freshman who were allowed to bring cars.

However, many campuses are so large and spread out that universities have paved parking lots right next to every building. Texas Tech is a great example of this. Given how cheap land is and how spread out not just the campus, but the entire city is, it's much cheaper to slap down asphalt on the edge of campus than to fund biking and public transit initiatives. (That said, urbanity is actually developing slowly around the campus.) This is especially true for schools that are largely made up of commuters.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Elmhurst College: About the Program
Another model to reduce driving. Most drivers don't realize how much they are subsidized, thinking the parking they enjoy at work (or school) costs next to nothing.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Boone, NC, where I attend university, has a free bus service (that's free to everyone, not just students). I use it pretty heavily, my car stays parked unless I'm leaving town.

Most Appalachian State students now live in off-campus apartments, and I can't even begin to imagine how many green spaces would have had to have been paved over for parking spaces for those students if the buses weren't getting students directly too and from the major complexes for class every day.

From the handful of people I know who attend Appalachian State, it seems that most students have a car to commute back home. Do they have any BUS service between campus to the major population centers in the state (Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc.) at the end of the term to reduce the need?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
From the handful of people I know who attend Appalachian State, it seems that most students have a car to commute back home. Do they have any BUS service between campus to the major population centers in the state (Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc.) at the end of the term to reduce the need?
Well, there's "Mountaineer East/West" and "North/South," but they only go as far as Greensboro and Charlotte. I've never used it because I need my car to get around my hometown (there is not a good bus network there)

Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
My son's college gives students a great deal with this company - CarShare Vermont - An easy alternative that can change the way you get around The college also gives all students free bus service and discounts on taxis. Zip cars are pretty popular on many campuses- For university and college campuses, the convenience of car ownership without the hassles When we were college shopping we did look at local transportation options.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities