Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A big new report on for-profit colleges from the Education Trust says, essentially: many of them are a black hole, sucking in money from those who can least afford it and giving back nothing. The University of Phoenix is the nation's biggest for-profit college. Why? "[Only] only 9 percent of the first-time, full-time bachelor's degree students...graduate within six years." And among the school's online students ("online student"= POOR CHOICE), the six-year graduation rate is 5%.
The issue is these schools accept ANYONE that can complete HS or get a GED, overcharge them, and offer them a very low quality education, often worse than a CC. Many of them are not accredited and those that are often shouldnt be accredited and do so through shady means, mostly paying lots of money. A degree from many of these schools is useless, and credits often wont transfer over to non-profit schools, even community colleges.

These for profit schools spend millions of dollars lobbying congress to prevent the government from stopping the scam.

http://gawker.com/5698402/never-pay-...ity-of-phoenix

Last edited by cry_havoc; 07-20-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Where's the link?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
What do you mean, 'often worse than a cc?' Many community colleges offer an excellent education that is as good as any you can get in a four year school. I have been both a student and teacher at community colleges and also some of the best universities in the world. I am certain that there is nothing inferior about community college.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Where's the link?
Sorry, I forgot to add it. I made an edit and added it in. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
What do you mean, 'often worse than a cc?' Many community colleges offer an excellent education that is as good as any you can get in a four year school. I have been both a student and teacher at community colleges and also some of the best universities in the world. I am certain that there is nothing inferior about community college.
Im sorry I didnt mean to put down CC.

What I meant to say was CC usually offer a better, along with a much cheaper, education that for profit schools and students would be MUCH better off going to a CC over a for profit school. I would consider an associates degree from a CC stronger than a masters, or even a PHD, from a for profit school.

There is nothing wrong with CC.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im sorry I didnt mean to put down CC.

What I meant to say was CC usually offer a better, along with a much cheaper, education that for profit schools and students would be MUCH better off going to a CC over a for profit school. I would consider an associates degree from a CC stronger than a masters, or even a PHD, from a for profit school.

There is nothing wrong with CC.
In fact, one local for-profit often poaches students from the cc where I teach. When they are struggling and are in danger of actually being dismissed, the for-profit offers them an easy alternative to actually working harder. I try to talk them out of it, but the for-profits make everything so easy, including the admission process, that it's just very tempting.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 PM

You do know that a for profit or any school doesn't qualify for financial aid unless it's accredited, right? I don't know too many people who can afford the average cost of a for profit out of pocket. There are unaccredited colleges that exist and are in the process of getting accreditation (this can take up to a decade), but they are usually dirt cheap and don't have many students. Diploma mills are unaccredited colleges that usually let you buy a diploma for a few hundred dollars.

You're also accusing for profits of paying accreditors money for their accreditation. If you have no proof for this, you do know that you can be sued for libel, right? You're also saying that the organizations that accredit for-profits and non-profits are unethical and worthless. That means non-profits have the same worthless accreditation.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
In fact, one local for-profit often poaches students from the cc where I teach. When they are struggling and are in danger of actually being dismissed, the for-profit offers them an easy alternative to actually working harder. I try to talk them out of it, but the for-profits make everything so easy, including the admission process, that it's just very tempting.

They are screwing those students over. They get a worse education at a much higher price, that is usually useless.

The thing that bothers me is their attitude, the for profit school that is. They approach students with a sales pitch, which I guess makes sense as they are trying to make money for the shareholders. They promise them an easy school that will give them a good education without hard work, and how they promise them money. They tell them of how they be flooded with job officers after graduating.

It usually is not true. They end up in debt for a useless degree.

Also on the note of CC. I live in Moco county MD, and from what ive heard about Montgomery Community college is that some of the classes are harder than actual universities, and you learn a lot.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You do know that a for profit or any school doesn't qualify for financial aid unless it's accredited, right? I don't know too many people who can afford the average cost of a for profit out of pocket. There are unaccredited colleges that exist and are in the process of getting accreditation (this can take up to a decade), but they are usually dirt cheap and don't have many students. Diploma mills are unaccredited colleges that usually let you buy a diploma for a few hundred dollars.

You're also accusing for profits of paying accreditors money for their accreditation. If you have no proof for this, you do know that you can be sued for libel, right? You're also saying that the organizations that accredit for-profits and non-profits are unethical and worthless. That means non-profits have the same worthless accreditation.
Accreditation isnt hard. They just buy a failing school and turn it into a branch of their franchise, or meet minimum standards while lobbying state and federal governments to allow them to keep the accreditation.

You seem to think accreditation is some kind of magic guarantee of quality, it isnt. It is just a way for them to get students who cant afford to attend their schools on financial aid so they can go into debt to get a useless education.

If you want to sue me for telling the truth go for it.
However, I believe you are genuinly ignorant of their tactics so let me help you out.

For profit colleges and lobbying.

How accreditation works for for profit schools,

Finally stop making up arguments I never made and arguing against them. It is getting old. If you want to argue that non-profit schools are not trustworthy you are free to think that, but stop assuming I share your opinion.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Accreditation isnt hard. They just buy a failing school and turn it into a branch of their franchise, or meet minimum standards while lobbying state and federal governments to allow them to keep the accreditation.
Most for-profits don't gain their accreditation this way. When a school is bought, the accreditation is reviewed again by the accrediting agency.

Quote:
You seem to think accreditation is some kind of magic guarantee of quality, it isnt. It is just a way for them to get students who cant afford to attend their schools on financial aid so they can go into debt to get a useless education.
It's a guarantee of a minimum standard. Quality is subjective.

Quote:
If you want to sue me for telling the truth go for it.
However, I believe you are genuinly ignorant of their tactics so let me help you out.

For profit colleges and lobbying.

How accreditation works for for profit schools,
I know more about their tactics than most people. I have had personal contact with for profits, and I know many people who have attended for profits. I doubt there is anything you can help me out with in this area. However, you are making broad generalizations. Just because one school does something, it doesn't mean all schools are doing something. I mean, it's been found out that 5 colleges misreported data to U.S. News in order to improve their rankings. They were all non-profits, but it doesn't mean that all non-profits are doing this.

Quote:
Finally stop making up arguments I never made and arguing against them. It is getting old. If you want to argue that non-profit schools are not trustworthy you are free to think that, but stop assuming I share your opinion.
When you say that for-profits are paying a lot of money for their accreditation, you are admitting a flaw with the accrediting organizations whether you intend to or not. Lobbying Congress is not the same as paying for accreditation, so that link is irrelevant. Accrediting organizations are independent of the government. They are private organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities