Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 AM

337 posts, read 896,940 times

Advertisements

I have to write an 8-10 page paper on a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I have zero interest in this, and I'm not even past the first page yet. Fortunately this will be my last english class ever, and it will be over in one week. I just have to get past this paper and one more (at least it's shorter).

The topic is vague. I turned in an intro and she basically just said the thesis was too general and doesn't see any point to my paper .

Anyone have any tips for this "writers block"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
I would go to the reviews on Amazon and try to grab a new persona. If there is nothing you can do to make it interesting for you, you can pretend To be someone who is interested and build up from there.

The reviews on Amazon may help with new angles as well as personality channeling.

I know this may sound odd, but I learned to rely on the strategy to grab the language of the consumer and help me see what motivates a person to like or no like something. So, I'm thinking it may help you. Maybe?

I read the book and 8-10 pages would be hard for me to come up with, too.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
I have to write an 8-10 page paper on a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I have zero interest in this, and I'm not even past the first page yet. Fortunately this will be my last english class ever, and it will be over in one week. I just have to get past this paper and one more (at least it's shorter).

The topic is vague. I turned in an intro and she basically just said the thesis was too general and doesn't see any point to my paper .

The real world is not about fun and games. I hate how all students are only motivated to do something in class when it is "fun and interesting." While I dont think a class should be totally boring, a person needs to realize that not everything you do on a job in the real world is fun and exciting. I had to read a few books that i didnt like either. Suck it up and do the best that you can.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 AM

64 posts, read 193,054 times
You could try to find someone who liked the book and pay them to write a report for you.
Just don't use anyone that writes papers for people professionally, or attended the same school as you, because YOU WILL GET CAUGHT.

Also, try to not get into the habit of doing this, especially if you want to become a Doctor, or any other profession where someone's life is in your hands, because you really need to pay attention in those classes.
You also need to pay attention, and do the work, when learning technical skills, such as engineering (all kinds), architecture, programming, IT, and how to repair and/or create stuff, and so on.

Having a firm grasp on English is important, as are Maths and Sciences.
Ya don't want to accidentally blow yourself up, or accidentally make a poisonous gas with common household items.
You also need to be able to understand Investments (Manage your own money; don't get ripped off),
as well as be able to work out LxWxH, perimeters, areas, volumes, convert weights, and so on.

Call some house painters and ask for quotes. Next, go see how much paint costs.
You can do the same for landscaping, plumbing, and home electrical work.
Unless you are (or become) rich, you're gonna want to be able to handle your own lawn work, painting, and be able to do other home repairs.
Roofing, though... Minor repairs are easy, but redoing a whole roof is hard, hot, dangerous work.

A general understanding of Geography (how to use maps, and what states and countries are where; ya don't have to memorize every town) is also good.

However, reading boring books for an English Class is a waste of time.
If you can read, write, and spell, just fine, for most professions, that is enough.
Not every book can be enjoyed, or appreciated, by every person.

History is alright; a general understanding is more than enough to get by.
You will forget most of the Exact Dates of Important Stuff that Happened, before you were Born, unless you become a writer, or a teacher, or are fascinated by History.

You'll also need to understand the laws of your land, and how your political system works.
Before you travel, you can always go online and read about other countries laws and taboos.

Life is short. Do what you love, with passion, so long as it doesn't endanger anyone and/or land you in prison.

P.S. if you do get someone to write the report for you, tell no one, and DO NOT BRAG ABOUT IT ONLINE.
Some schools have revoked diplomas over cheating, even decades after the offense took place.

As far as "Efforts in Futility" supposedly getting you ready for the Real World, they rarely do.
Doing work/jobs you hate, and sticking with it because a loved one is counting on you, THAT builds Character.
It's all about your inner motivation, understanding what's at stake, and making the right decision.

Some of this post is directed at people younger than the OP.

Short Version: Only quit stuff when it will not negatively impact your future, or the futures of those you care about (if they are worth it; that judgement call is up to you).

Last edited by Bread Girl; 07-25-2013 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: Turns out I had A LOT more to say, than I thought. XD

Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post

This is not "writers block" this is classic "I don't want to do this paper because I think it is boring" block.
Sit down and read the book whether you like it or not, no phone, no games, no computer just sit and read. Then write your paper and do the best you can do, put actual effort into it and make sure it is something you can be proud to turn in.

"Ever" is a very long time, there could be more English Classes in your future.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,844 times
I never liked ANY papers I had to write in school or college. You just bite the bullet and do it. And compared to some of the papers I've had to write, 8-10 pages is cake. Try a 20 pager and then get back to me. Not fun at all.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
You're a real scholar. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Girl View Post
You could try to find someone who liked the book and pay them to write a report for you.
Just don't use anyone that writes papers for people professionally, or attended the same school as you, because YOU WILL GET CAUGHT.
Holy crap. That is horrible advice. Not only is it unethical but if you get caught you can kiss your college degree goodbye. By the way, chances are not small that you will get caught, especially in an English class. People have distinct writing styles and voices and an English teacher is more likely to spot that your paper doesn't match yours than even your average professor.

Just read the d*mn book, like is required of you, and write the paper. A crappy paper is better than no paper. In the real proffesional work world you will end up doing all kinds of stuff that is tedious and difficult to make yourself do, if you can't figure out how to make yourself do it anyway you won't last very long. That our public K-12 schools no longer force students learn this lesson, so it comes as surprise to them in college and the workforce, is an issue, but that is a rant for another thread.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
I did a four-year English degree with a minor in Medieval Studies. Over the years I wrote lots of papers I wasn't particularly interested in. When you graduate university and get a job you will find that most of the work you are assigned by your boss(es) will not interest you, work around the house will not be particularly interesting either, but you will do it because you have to. You will try to find a way to make it interesting so that it is easier to complete. I suggest you do the same thing with this essay. Outliers is an interesting book with an interesting thesis, and I'm sure that if you ran with it, you could find an angle to cover that interested you. With a book like Outliers, you could tackle the entire theme in your thesis: ie, whether or not you believe Gladwell's thesis is correct and why or why not, or you could look more closely at a particular chapter that interests you. Also, don't make the mistake of trying to duck research for this paper. A paper on this kind of book should be researched - it's not like you are dissecting a short poem or something. You are going to need your own facts and statistics to help support your thesis.

Finally, what kind of English course is this that has Outliers on the syllabus? Seems more appropriate for political science, anthropology course than English, which is supposed to be a study of literature, both fiction and non-fiction. However interesting I found Outliers, , I would never consider it literature.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,244 times
I just want a clarification from the OP that the book has already been read by you. I understood you to say that your first page of the paper is not even done, but that you read the book in its entirety, already.

If you haven't read the book, then get on it.

Never hire someone to write your paper. You rob yourself of the knowledge of your own work quality and rob yourself of the full benefit of your education.

Thumbtyped on an iDevice without autocorrect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities