Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colleges should eliminate most General Education requirements so the students can concentrate on the
Yes 5 11.63%
No 34 79.07%
Maybe cut down the Liberal Arts General Education requirements to just a few classes 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,556 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2013 and that poster is no longer a member.

A relative of mine is an Accounting Major in a four year College Degree Program. He just completed his 2nd Year and will be a Junior this Fall. He said his first two years of college were basically a waste because it involved taking mostly the required Liberal Arts General Education classes. He only was able to take two Business classes due to the heavy requirement to take liberal arts classes his first two years of college. He got good grades and studied hard in these "fluff classes" so he could get into the business school and impress potential employers, but he considered the classes to be a waste of time and money.

He said the general feeling of everyone in his Accounting classes was Colleges should be only 2-3 years with basically no general education classes so the students can devote themselves to their Major.

They think that they had lots of time to study liberal arts in High School and due the cost of college it should be shorter and career related.

Another relative who is a Computer Science Major told me the same thing.

Should College general education requirements be eliminated to save time and money, so the students can devote themselves to career related classes?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-19-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:13 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Yeah, we wouldn't want college graduates to have any knowledge about anything other than their major. Being well rounded is overrated.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A relative of mine is an Accounting Major in a four year College Degree Program. He just completed his 2nd Year and will be a Junior this Fall. He said his first two years of college were basically a waste because it involved taking mostly the required Liberal Arts General Education classes. He only was able to take two Business classes due to the heavy requirement to take liberal arts classes his first two years of college. He got good grades and studied hard in these "fluff classes" so he could get into the business school and impress potential employers, but he considered the classes to be a waste of time and money.

He said the general feeling of everyone in his Accounting classes was Colleges should be only 2-3 years with basically no general education classes so the students can devote themselves to their Major.

They think that they had lots of time to study liberal arts in High School and due the cost of college it should be shorter and career related.

Should College general education requirements be eliminated to save time and money, so the students can devote themselves to career related classes?

then he needs to go to one of those purely business / tech schools and bypass all the liberal arts stuff and go straight into his desired field of choice.

did his high school offer AP? if so then he wasted his high school years and should've taken the fluff then and gotten it out of the way.

and..as i tell every kid "the real world is overrated, stay in school" :-).

Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

I agree with those who say if that's what he wanted he should have gone to a technical school, and I'm not talking about an "Institute of Technology" where one gets a BS but a school where one gets at most an AS. There is nothing "fluff" about English composition and other basic courses. Your relative may consider these courses a waste now, however, he may think differently later. It's called, "Can't see the forest for the trees".

Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Those accounting majors are a true bright light in the field. NOT! Their take on general ed courses demonstrate how ignorant they are. They sound more like people who haven't been there. I know someone who refers to college grads as "educated fools." I agree such creatures exist, but, not usually.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
If all he wants to learn is accounting he should have done duel credits in high school, tested out of gen eds in college and taken 2 years to do his accounting degree...probably won't get a job doing that since most employers want people that can think and learn new things but hey, he saved some money

Old 08-25-2013, 09:04 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Accounting, especially at the undergraduate level, is really about training rather than education. Sometimes, people confuse training with education and vice versa.

Think about it this way: if you had a 13 year old daughter, would you rather that in school she receive:

a) Sex Education? ... or...
b) Sex Training?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Accounting, especially at the undergraduate level, is really about training rather than education. Sometimes, people confuse training with education and vice versa.

Think about it this way: if you had a 13 year old daughter, would you rather that in school she receive:

a) Sex Education? ... or...
b) Sex Training?
No, not a reasonable analogy. It gets attention, but, the attention is brief.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I do think there is an excess of non-major credits required.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
This is a short-sighted way of thinking ... I have a bachelor's degree and, like the OP's friend, took a bulk of GE courses my first two years. I don't regret taking these courses as I found they expanded my wealth of knowledge. Education has been dumbed down so much so the last thing we need is to cut general education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities