Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,959 times

Advertisements

my son's advisor screwed up his internship. My son got all the paperwork turned in, signed and filled out by the internship company. Advisor said his internship was approved.. Now for some reason he didnt add the course to my sons schedule, so now the internship is invalid. He cant graduate without the internship (was suppose to graduate in december), so now he will have to go another semester. I was wondering if we have any recourse. This advisor is the head of the business dept, so we cant really go above him for help. He told my son that he should have followed through to make sure the class was added (Internship). My son had no idea he needed to check up on it - just assumed everything was ok. He is so upset about the whole thing, as are we. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Your son needs to go to the Dean of students and plea his case.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
my son's advisor screwed up his internship. My son got all the paperwork turned in, signed and filled out by the internship company. Advisor said his internship was approved.. Now for some reason he didnt add the course to my sons schedule, so now the internship is invalid. He cant graduate without the internship (was suppose to graduate in december), so now he will have to go another semester. I was wondering if we have any recourse. This advisor is the head of the business dept, so we cant really go above him for help. He told my son that he should have followed through to make sure the class was added (Internship). My son had no idea he needed to check up on it - just assumed everything was ok. He is so upset about the whole thing, as are we. Any suggestions???
Sorry, but your son screwed himself.

If your son is a college senior, then he knows the rules: you register for classes that you want to take for credit, and you have to register for an internship just like you do for any other course. He would have gotten a bill for the courses he registered for, and that bill would show the courses he registered for, either paper or on-line.

Your son didn't bother to register, then he didn't bother to check his registration, and then he didn't check his bill. Usually internships are 12 credits, and frequently the internship is the only "course" a student takes, so maybe your darling boy didn't get a bill, which, of course, should have raised a red flag about August 20th or so.

This is entirely on your son, not on the adviser. It's your son's responsibility to register and to pay his bill.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: removed rude comment and "darling boy"

Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
Yes, it's ultimately on your son's, not the advisor's, responsibility to check which courses he's registered. HE could go to the dean and ask if he can petition for a late add (that's him - not his parent). Some universities will do that IF the student owns up to the responsibility and is contrite about it.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
The best thing you can do here is stop yourself from intervening in your son's affairs. Your son has the resources he needs (the school, the internet, etc.) to figure this out. He is an adult and adults should know that the best way to learn from a mistake is to go through the struggles of correcting it. Sit back and see whether he is ready for the real world. If he can't get through this without your help, then perhaps another semester at college isn't as awful as you make it sound.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 AM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
my son's advisor screwed up his internship.
Sounds more like your son screwed up his internship.
I am surprised that after all those semesters in college he still does not know how to register for classes!

Quote:
I was wondering if we have any recourse.
We?
This is your son's problem, not yours. He should not need momma's help on this.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
It's NOVEMBER! He just now realized he is missing an internship?!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,959 times
Wow.. I just asked a question.

My son registered. He is taking 3 other classes. He paid his bill. He had to get something signed by the place where his internship is, so he could not 'register' until that was taken care of. He got all the paperwork together and took it to the advisor who said he would let him know if it was approved. Then he heard back a couple days later that it was approved. Yes, he should have checked back to verify that the advisor added the course for him. He has been working at the internship and writing the papers that are required, and just assumed that he was added. He went online to check his graduation status and that's when he saw it was not listed.

He went and talked to the advisor and the guy apologized but then told him that there was nothing he could do. So now, he has to pay for an entire semester just to take the internship again. He doesnt really want to work at this place that long, but that's what he will have to do. Its not just tuition, its room and board .. lots of money!

You guys dont have to bash me or my son.. I just wanted some advice on what his next steps should be. Geeez...

Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:

Why not start with the collee he attends and ASK THEM what recourse if any you have?
They should know exactly what you need more than anyone on a public forum would know.

Also, it is never a good idea to assume anything when it comes to one's life, school or career.
Humans do make mistakes and if you do not follow up on your own life no one else is going to do it for you.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
It's your son's job to sort this out, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities