Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,359,551 times

Advertisements

Its amazing how inefficient college and schools are these days. Think about it. You show up to class, listen to a lecture, and leave. Then another group of students come in and repeat. Then next semester, year, etc it happens over and over again using the same material. Its so inefficient. It would make more sense to just give the lecture, record it, and distribute it once. There is no added value in doing it over and over again. It is the equivalent of Brian Williams going to each persons house in America to give them the news, instead of using TV to give it to everyone at once. This is why the cost of education keeps rising. No innovation and close mindedness.

Now I know what some of you are going to say. Well if your not in class, you can't ask your professor questions etc. Well that is BS, because even in large lectures, I only saw a few people at the most asking the professor questions. And they use TA's for a lot of things. You could just as easily still ask your teach questions via e-mail, or phone, or through an expanded TA and tutoring program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Its amazing how inefficient college and schools are these days. Think about it. You show up to class, listen to a lecture, and leave. Then another group of students come in and repeat. Then next semester, year, etc it happens over and over again using the same material. Its so inefficient. It would make more sense to just give the lecture, record it, and distribute it once. There is no added value in doing it over and over again. It is the equivalent of Brian Williams going to each persons house in America to give them the news, instead of using TV to give it to everyone at once. This is why the cost of education keeps rising. No innovation and close mindedness.

Now I know what some of you are going to say. Well if your not in class, you can't ask your professor questions etc. Well that is BS, because even in large lectures, I only saw a few people at the most asking the professor questions. And they use TA's for a lot of things. You could just as easily still ask your teach questions via e-mail, or phone, or through an expanded TA and tutoring program.
This. I agree.

And I also think the notion that going to college will help you get a job should be thrown out the window, because to be 100% honest....... that's the only reason why I went and graduated!

I think maybe the business schools of universities should be separate entities from the other liberal arts subjects. That way if someone knows they don't want to work in academia or go to grad school, they can go to the business school where they'll learn more about networking within an industry they like. Idk if that makes sense or not? For example, I want to work with non profits, so someone in my situation could've gone to the business school and been mentored by someone who is a professional in the non profit industry, instead of taking 60 credit hours of random liberal studies/gen ed classes.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:08 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
And this is why my kids went to small private colleges with no TA's and a total lack of lecture hall classes. Choose wisely....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:

Stanford's medical school decided to put lectures online because their students weren't showing up for them anyway. If you want to avoid lectures, then taken online courses. Some of them will have recorded lectures, and some will have no lectures at all. Some online courses will have PowerPoint presentations and live chats.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM

I don't think you guys are reading my post. I'm saying that large lectures are MORE efficient and that lectures should be recorded and delivered one instead of over and over thousands of times by different people.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
And this is why my kids went to small private colleges with no TA's and a total lack of lecture hall classes. Choose wisely....
That is what I am saying is pointless. So your paying for your kid to sit in class to hear the same lecture that has been given thousands of times already when it could have been given once and recorded and given to an unlimited number of people.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,814,616 times
That could probably happen with some entry level lecture style classes (perhaps science and math related ones), but even those syllabuses get revamped fairly regularly. This is one of those things that sounds like a better idea in theory than it actually would be in practice IMO.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
Take it a step further. Why bother recording lectures? The information is in books. Anyone who wants to know can learn it from a book.

> So your paying for your kid to sit in class to hear the same lecture that has been given thousands of times already

Since the knowledge is available in books, and (nearly) free- you pay for: (1) a defined program of study (2) evaluations (3) the ability to hang around with other students and eventually network with them (4) access to any lab facilities not readily available (5) a certification at the end of the program and (6) access to placement services.

None of this is really needed to learn; but most students need most of it.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:

I went to an absolutely huge college, something like 50k people. Yes, some (not all) 100 and 200 level classes were like this. But by the time I was a junior all of my classes typically had 20 or less students.

So at best this is a gross generalization for some classes, in some colleges.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That could probably happen with some entry level lecture style classes (perhaps science and math related ones), but even those syllabuses get revamped fairly regularly. This is one of those things that sounds like a better idea in theory than it actually would be in practice IMO.
Any time the syllabus is updated you would record a new lecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities